Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Vent Covers

I found these at Wal Mart for $4.96 a pair. They're magnetic, so you'll need to have metal registers. Should keep dirt and other things from falling in the vents when not in use.
Sorry, my scanner isn't large enough to get the whole package, but here's a pic of most of the package and one of the covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Blockers.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Covers.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	4239  
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

That is a nice idea, the other thing it helps with is if you have small pets with small legs and feet it looks like it will keep there feet from getting caught in the vents slots.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

Says it blocks unwanted airflow. What airflow, when our furnice is off, there is no airflow.

As to the little pets feet, unless you have a bunch of mice running around I don't see a problem with feet getting cut?
Am I missing something here?
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Says it blocks unwanted airflow. What airflow, when our furnice is off, there is no airflow.

As to the little pets feet, unless you have a bunch of mice running around I don't see a problem with feet getting cut?
Jack
I questioned the air flow as well, but my main reason to buying these is to keep dirt and small objects from falling in the duct work.

As far as pets, I'm guessing a cut foot wouldn't be as much of a problem as a claw or a toe or two getting caught in the vent causing an injury.

But then, I don't know. Just ask my wife!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I put register air filters under my registers. They are "over sized" so the actual register (metal or plastic) holds them in place. The filters filter the air coming out, and catch junk that would have fallen in (like dog kibbles and small bits of junk and dirt).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #6

Lou, would that not restrict the airflow coming out?
Or are they made to not restrict it?
Thanks
Jack

Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Has not been my experience.
They are designed to work with forced air registers. They are white and fairly "course"
Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:

Jack
My wife has two Long Hair Teacup Chihuahuas that camp with use, there rear paws measure 1/2" wide and a standard floor vent slots measure the same if they were to twist there paws while standing on the vents it could cause a problem, that's what you are missing here. Now we take our 80 lbs Greyhound as well and he is not a problem with the floor vents.

The advertizement says "To Stop Unwanted Air Flow" that's there main perpose but Gary had a different idea for them and it is something to consider so that the duct work in the floor will stay clean, so what is wrong with that? Am i missing something here?

There other ways to do this but they do look nice.......
Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

This is what we use:
Amazon.com: Vent Register Filters: Home Improvement
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

I wasn't attacking anyone, just asking questions.
Jack
PS...I have learned something...thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
My wife has two Long Hair Teacup Chihuahuas that camp with use, there rear paws measure 1/2" wide and a standard floor vent slots measure the same if they were to twist there paws while standing on the vents it could cause a problem, that's what you are missing here. Now we take our 80 lbs Greyhound as well and he is not a problem with the floor vents.

The advertizement says "To Stop Unwanted Air Flow" that's there main perpose but Gary had a different idea for them and it is something to consider so that the duct work in the floor will stay clean, so what is wrong with that? Am i missing something here?

There other ways to do this but they do look nice.......
Thanks, Wade

Yeah my main concern was dirt and small objects falling in the duct work. I don't know if it really hurts anything or not, but it can't be good. We always threw some 18" x 2.5' rugs over the vents but I thought these looked better and hopefully they'll stay in place. We were constantly moving the rugs back over the vents even though they had the rubber backing.

Pets are pretty good at stepping over or around hazzards, but accidents do happen. So if it prevents one from getting hurt, that's an added bonus.

If these don't work, I'll try what herk7769 uses.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes 50 View Post
Thanks, Wade

Yeah my main concern was dirt and small objects falling in the duct work. I don't know if it really hurts anything or not, but it can't be good. We always threw some 18" x 2.5' rugs over the vents but I thought these looked better and hopefully they'll stay in place. We were constantly moving the rugs back over the vents even though they had the rubber backing.

Pets are pretty good at stepping over or around hazards, but accidents do happen. So if it prevents one from getting hurt, that's an added bonus.

If these don't work, I'll try what herk 7769 uses.

Gary, this is a good idea and i am glad you posted it. Dirt can be a problem collecting in the duct work. When it comes time to turn the heat on all the dust and dirt along with pet dander and there hair will be come air born if it is not cleaned out and this collects over the camping season.

We too place rugs over the vents and in our camper, we have one vent that is located at the entry door it is in a bad location for our Greyhound when it's time for him to come in he will not use the steps he leaps up and lands on the floor then slides and the vent is right there so can you imagen if his toes got caught in the vent? and for those that are not educated about Greyhounds they are bleeders and there are many Greyhounds that loose there nails and toes and break legs while racing on the track.
We will have to keep a rug at the door because of the sliding issue but the vent covers will work in the rest of the camper.

Pets are smart, they do well with four legs when some of us can't walk on two so this is a plus....Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I wasn't attacking anyone, just asking questions.
Jack
PS...I have learned something...thanks.

Jack, i did not feel that you were attacking anyone and you are right all you did was ask a few question and the biggest question was at the end of your post....and i Quote "Am i missing something here" End of Quote. So i thought i would point out a few issues that could effect others.

No problem with me, that's why we are here to learn from each others experience and ideas.....
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
My vents are mounted on the wall. So I don't have this problem

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I found these at Wal Mart for $4.96 a pair. They're magnetic, so you'll need to have metal registers. Should keep dirt and other things from falling in the vents when not in use.
Sorry, my scanner isn't large enough to get the whole package, but here's a pic of most of the package and one of the covers.

Nice idea, looks like they would work good!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #16

Wink

Quote:

Jack

They said feet getting caught not cut and dirt does fall into them and this would be a good way to stop that!!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

Wink

Quote:
Lou, would that not restrict the airflow coming out?
Or are they made to not restrict it?
Thanks
Jack

They are used when you are not using the heat through the vents like say on a nice warm summers day when people are in and out of the TT and sand and dirt is tracked in and some of this debris falls into the registers!!!! These will stop thet from happening.