Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
I bought the smallest mesh metal screen I could find and I put it inside the hot water heater door panel, the fridge panel, and the rear bumper covers that have the holes in them. Used aluminum tape and it works great. We had the critters in behind the fridge and wife couldn't figure out what was buzzing.
I was lazy and purchased the JCJ (JCJ Enterprises - Mud Dauber Screens and Other Recreational Vehicle Accessories) Mud Dauber Screens from my dealer. They make sizes for furnaces and water heaters in a nice stainless steel screen. The R-600 size custom fits the Dometic refridgerator vent's three narrow intake openings. And... they're made in the USA!!!

They are held on by rather flimsy spings, so I added copper wire strands to enhance the fastening. The R-600 did not need heat resistance, so it's nylon wire ties were more than adeqate fasteners for the three custom fit fridge screens.

I got creative like some of these guys for my bumper end caps. Found some packages of three stainless sink drain screens at the local 99-Cent-Store. The smallest fit the end cap hole (used a wire tie to fasten it). I used the remaining screen sizes for sinks and shower like they were intended.

See pics, and snapped a pic of the reason why. I get nests like this country hornet in my bumper, plus yellow jacket and daubers all over the outsides of my trailer here in southeast tx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVscrn03.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	29428  
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #22

It seems the past few years we have experienced a large group of secada killers in the Midwest. I originally thought they were mud dobbers or yellow jackets, but after much research and many failed attempts at killing them, I finally found out what they were. They seem harmless when I am close to them, but are deadly to secadas. I have seen many snatch a full size secada out of mid air and stuff them into holes they have dug in the ground. It is fascinating to watch.
Dvigna is offline   Reply With Quote