Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

We almost screwed up ... big time!

I leveled our 2604WS with two layers of Lynx levelers and put the Lynx chocks on each end. The site was on a slight hill, down at the front and the tire was seated on the Lynx chock. I took my rubber mallet and set regular chocks under the opposite wheels, ponding them in place. I put our X-chocks on both sets of wheels.
The second the ball popped out of the hitch, the trailer rolled forward and swung to the side, putting the tongue jack in a severe bind. (I could see it bend!) I grabbed a BAL scissors jack and took the weight off the tongue jack and it sprang back into alignment. Front-to-back leveling was then accomplished.
Lesson learned: When setting up on a slope (no matter how gentle you think it is), BEFORE lowering the tongue jack and unhitching, put the truck into gear and seat the trailer tires firmly on both sets of downhill chocks.
I then went into the trailer to change my skivvies.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
NELA

Don't beat yourself up over this. I have yet to confess that DH and I, on our second trip, forgot to put the X chocks in before he unhooked from the TV.

I've never seen him put those puppies in so quick, before or since then!

I was holdin' my breath and prayin'...thankfully she didn't move a nano inch...thank the RV Gods for semi level pads! If she'd run away she'd have taken out the tailgate of our former TV...F150 EcoBeast....but that's as far as she'd have gone.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Always Learning

With my Coleman pop-up, on more than one occasion, I had movement side to side with the tongue. I never did get comfortable with chocking it before I got rid of it.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Don't beat yourself up over this.
Thanks. I try to file things like this under "lessons learned." I posted it for others who may have not considered the potential hazard.
After re-reading my post I realized I had failed to adequately point out that the cause for the "Yikes!" moment was that the right side wheels were resting firmly on the Lynx chock, unable to move, but the left side had about a half-inch of roll before it rolled up onto the chock I thought I had pounded into place. That half inch at the tire translated to about 3 inches at the tongue.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
With my Coleman pop-up, on more than one occasion, I had movement side to side with the tongue.
It's inherent in the design of the chocks with the radius face. The tire must roll onto the lower lip (first half-inch of the chock) pinning the chock to the ground before it comes to rest on the upward curving part. It's that design's strength and Achilles' heel.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

You lucked out.

Rule of thumb. X-choks,Rotochoks, or whatever.

FIRST THING ON-LAST THING OFF!

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

X Chocks

I just bought some X-chocks and there was a warning in the box----DO NOT PUT X-CHOCKS IN PLACE UNTIL AFTER TRAILER HAS BEEN UNHOOKED FROM TOW VEHICLE. I noticed that some of the poster on this thread, say that they put x-chocks in place BEFORE they unhook. Now I am really confused!!!
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Broken Toe

We all mess up. As long as you learn from it, then it was worth it.

I forgot to take my x-chocks out one time and pulled off. Both chock spit out with no damage to anything. I wondered why it felt like the parking brake was on....

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing75 View Post
I just bought some X-chocks and there was a warning in the box----DO NOT PUT X-CHOCKS IN PLACE UNTIL AFTER TRAILER HAS BEEN UNHOOKED FROM TOW VEHICLE. I noticed that some of the poster on this thread, say that they put x-chocks in place BEFORE they unhook. Now I am really confused!!!
Interesting, then they are saying 'not to use them as chocks' when un-hooking, so you use regular chocks to un-hook then place the x-chocks so the only purpose the x units are serving is as stabalizers (if you follow the instructions).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Site Team

I use solid rubber wheel chocks from Harbor Freight (pic below), on the front tires and rear tires ( 4 total)......before I unhook. The bottom of these chocks have grooves/teeth to help prevent sliding. Never liked those plastic chocks too much. I've actually seen the hollow plastic kind get crushed when a camping buddy forgot to remove it before pulling out. I find the Harbor Freight chocks on sale all the time for $5

After I unhook, I install the roto-chocks as a stabilizer and to a lesser degree as backup tire chocks.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I use solid rubber wheel chocks from Harbor Freight (pic below), on the front tires and rear tires ( 4 total)......before I unhook. Never liked those plastic chocks too much. I've actually seen the hollow plastic kind get crushed. I find the Harbor Freight chocks on sale all the time for $5

After I unhook, I install the roto-chocks as a stabilizer and to a lesser degree as backup tire chocks.
Those look like a really good idea for a good price. Good replacements for my plastic ones. Thanks. Harbor Fright trip coming up.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #12

I have for years used the x-chocks exclusively as chocks with nothing else, and they work great. The trailer will not roll if they are installed and tightened.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #13

WMTire, you got me to thinking. I'm visiting daughter south of Charlotte, NC and there's a Harbor Freight closeby. I have NOT been enamored with my set of those cheapo yellow chocks, and those solid rubber ones are $8.00.

On the topic of leveling, I see a ton of folks leveling by using the TV. I don't get that. Oh, if I was in a VERY unlevel (is that a word?) place side to side, maybe. But everywhere I've been (very limited) is pretty level pads, gravel mostly.

So what I've done is:
Back In
Put in chocks, set of four
Unhook from TV
Level front to back using electric jack
Drop stabilizers front and back, using pads to raise one side if necessary
And lastly, putting some kind of scissor jacks mid-trailer, which makes a world of difference in stability.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #14

I am curious what others might think of a technique I have been using this summer. I am using the plastic wedge chocks and this is on relatively level sites. I get situated/level and then put a chock up tight behind the front tire of the trailer, then put the truck in reverse and just put some pressure on the chock, then while still applying the pressure, my wife will slide another chock in front of the tire. Let the pressure off and the tire is wedged between the two chocks. My thought is this might achieve some of the desired effect of one-step or even a x-chock. What do you think?
lvnthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #15

Rubber or Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Those look like a really good idea for a good price. Good replacements for my plastic ones. Thanks. Harbor Fright trip coming up.
A thought... I have the plastic ones and ran over one once. (I didn't really forget, I was thinking it was behind the back tire and it was actually behind the front tire.) Thing is though, it did squish it a little and then if actually came back into shape somewhat. I am wondering what kind of damage the solid rubber ones might do to a tire if someone managed to run it over? Is it possible it could damage the trailer tire?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #16

After leveling side to side, I use one of these on each side;
Amazon.com: BAL 28020 Single Axle Tire Chock: Automotive
Our next TT will have 16" rims so I may need to have a longer turnbuckle built to fit.
You should be able to find a much lower price.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #17

Cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
After leveling side to side, I use one of these on each side;
Amazon.com: BAL 28020 Single Axle Tire Chock: Automotive
Our next TT will have 16" rims so I may need to have a longer turnbuckle built to fit.
You should be able to find a much lower price.
Isn't what I am doing with two of these Camco 44412 RV Wheel Chock accomplishing the same thing?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #18

Kind of.
Replied in other thread.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
On the topic of leveling, I see a ton of folks leveling by using the TV. I don't get that. Oh, if I was in a VERY unlevel (is that a word?) place side to side, maybe. But everywhere I've been (very limited) is pretty level pads, gravel mostly.

So what I've done is:
Back In
Put in chocks, set of four
Unhook from TV
Level front to back using electric jack
Drop stabilizers front and back, using pads to raise one side if necessary
And lastly, putting some kind of scissor jacks mid-trailer, which makes a world of difference in stability.
Are you saying the stabilizer is used to bring you level side to side? Are they motorized or the scissor type?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnthenw View Post
I am curious what others might think of a technique I have been using this summer. I am using the plastic wedge chocks and this is on relatively level sites. I get situated/level and then put a chock up tight behind the front tire of the trailer, then put the truck in reverse and just put some pressure on the chock, then while still applying the pressure, my wife will slide another chock in front of the tire. Let the pressure off and the tire is wedged between the two chocks. My thought is this might achieve some of the desired effect of one-step or even a x-chock. What do you think?
After experiencing my scary incident of "chock creep," I will be doing exactly that from now on.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS