Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Racin

what brand of cooler is best to keep your drinks cold

I have been researching a new cooler for our drinks because our fridge is on the small side I have a Rubbermaid 3 day cooler was wondering if any one had a cooler that really last as long or close to what manufactures state I was wanting real world results not the manufactures hype of fill it up with ice and drinks a never open it and you will get 9 days out of your ice that's not real world when we go camping we use our cooler in it several times throughout the day to get something to drink just don't want to buy something thst I will regret later thanks for the help
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Rtic 64 works real good
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

What's your budget? Start there. Then go to YouTube and there a dozen real-world cooler test videos and pick the one in your budget.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Dollar for dollar we like Rtic.
jeffandrews55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

The choices in really good coolers continues to expand. For me there is a limit to what I will spend on an insulated box. We just "tested" one of Coleman's line of coolers for the second time, the Xtreme Marine 6 day series. These have thicker walls (more insulation) than typical coolers. The difference in thickness is obvious, however, the walls are not as thick as a Pelican or Yeti. On the plus side, it does not weigh 50 lbs empty or cost a weeks wages. First time we used it for a month (7/2014) from FL to Utah. Carried it in the back of the FJ when traveling (read 80F environment), it spent 4 days on the Green river in a canoe, and the rest of the time in camp with temps often 90+. Bottom line, these things work! We only bought ice 5 times during the trip. This past July we repeated our Green River canoe trip but stayed out for 5 days. We started with 20 lbs of block ice and 5 lbs of cubed. After finishing all of our perishable food on day four we still had ice and put a dozen or so cans of warm soda in to chill. The next afternoon back at camp there was still ice.
Coleman only recently (2014) debuted this line. What you will find in stores is their Xtreme Series 5 coolers. Series 6 can be ordered directly from Coleman.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

It depends on how you use the cooler. If you use it for a drink cooler only, where you open it many times a day, then any cooler will do.

If used that way (continuous opening), our Yeti performs exactly the same as our cheap cooler.

But, if we pack food items in the Yeti and pack it full, and only open it occasionally, the Yeti will keep food cold with minimal ice for days beyond a cheap cooler, even out here in 100 degree heat.

So for drinks only, save your money and buy a cheaper chest, and refill the ice every couple of days.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandrews55 View Post
Dollar for dollar we like Rtic.
I own 4 RTIC coolers, multiple cups, and bottles....hands down the best out there for the price. I also purchased some for gifts and we use them on our Fire Engines... they are awesome.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

No cooler is going to work good for drinks . its simply opened way to often to retain ice properly . You will get a little more from a RTIC or Yeti roto-molded type of cooler but not much .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #9

I am waiting for RTIC to go on sale again, then purchase a 45qt cooler and keep it hidden in the bed of the truck under the cover.

My plan is to fill that with ice only and continue using my Coleman cooler for drinks. I think it will pay for itself in under two seasons versus my time, gas and ridiculous ice prices.

Edit: I normally have to make two trips to the store for ice when we go camping...

Does anybody see a flaw in that plan?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I am waiting for RTIC to go on sale again, then purchase a 45qt cooler and keep it hidden in the bed of the truck under the cover.

My plan is to fill that with ice only and continue using my Coleman cooler for drinks. I think it will pay for itself in under two seasons versus my time, gas and ridiculous ice prices.

Does anybody see a flaw in that plan?
Sounds good to me!!!! That is actually what we do now
Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
Site Team

How often do you use the cooler? How do you use it? What you need to determine is the long run cost. If you only use the cooler a few times a year it is less expensive to buy a few more bags of ice than spend a few hundred dollars on a high end cooler. If you are in the middle of nowhere and ice is not readily available, then the expensive cooler might be a good choice.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #12

Funny slightly off-topic story:
While my buddy was have his camping supply purchases rung up by the salesman, my buddy managed to kick one of those big Yeti mugs off of the shelf at his feet in front of the counter. While the mug had not even finished making loud metal clanging noises, the salesman without stopping or even looking up hollered "SOLD!" I watched my buddy go from a panic pale to beet red color.

I still smile when I think of it. lol...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
King of the Road

For a drink cooler only, a Coleman 24 hr 30 can cooler for $20

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...eywords=cooler

It's just like all coolers, it says 24 hr, but if you don't open it more than once or twice a day, it will last 2-3 days.

Or this coleman is on sale at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Coast...eywords=cooler

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

YETI
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
Steelhorzz

I'm sold on Rtic!

We have a double wide fridge in our coach so space is not the issue. I just don't want to chance raising the temp by constantly going in for a drink during the day.
I've tried Coleman, Igloo, and Rubbermaid. (And their premium models, not the basic cheap one they sell). They all work, but ice lasts just a couple of days and I'm constantly buying more ice, refilling and dragging it across the floor to empty the water down the steps.
So I finally tried Rtic, (not wanting to spend the $$$ on Yeti, or Pelican.)
I have been delighted in its performance.
Drinks stay cold, (wine, juice, water, soda) AND the ice, "crushed", lasts for days!!
Best to watch their website or FB page as they occasionally have them at 15 - 20% off!
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #16

I have a Yeti that was given to me. You will never convince me it is worth the $$$ they want for them. Glad to see some knock offs coming out that are closer to the reasonable range.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
For a drink cooler only, a Coleman 24 hr 30 can cooler for $20

It's just like all coolers,[/URL]
They are not just like all coolers unless your talking cheap coolers. I hunt and travel a 1000 miles at times with game/fish. Rather than buy new coolers every year go high end. Spend $500-1200 and have a cooler for life that is guaranteed for life.

I worked/retired for a major sporting goods store and they (SCHEELS) actually have experts as they say in their advertisements. Every employee in every department goes to school for weeks a year to learn the products with the exception of those 15 hours a week or less who are trained by experts. Not one time are they trained but every single year.

You can dump a Yeti down a cliff, have it fall out of a truck at 60mph etc and it still is good to go.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #18

I like my Yeti 65 but it is very expensive. It is also nice because it is certified Bear proof. You can chain it to something and lock it outside, the teeth marks in the lid make for interesting character. They are also pretty heavy but like others have said for drinks and frequent opening might as well go for something cheaper.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #19

We prefer the soft sides on our boats, picnicking and on the 5th wheel. Lighter and more space efficient.
Right now we are using the AO brand and really like them.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
King of the Road

Rtic, yeti, etc. Big, takes up space, heavy, adds weight, big dollars. For a drink cooler in RV situation not worth it. For a 2-3 week backwoods off grid, more than once every couple of year, maybe. Otherwise, waste of $$. Doesn't mean I don't think there good. They are great for what they are designed for. Just overkill for most RV'ers.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote