Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #21

yes, it is all the other sites load fine. Have spectrum cable internet. will not load on my phone either on just cellular data. I do understand sites have issues from time to time.

On another note the Allstays app has been added I really like the uses and
information it provides.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
The Good Sam web site would not hardly load, and with some of the above mentions of marketing and junk mail delivery's of Good Sam they just do not work for my ease of living purpose.
Yes, I just tried the Good Sam site. I waited 10 seconds and still no page load, so I closed the tab. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have something like lots of trackers and third party ad links that are slowing it down. I’m having no problem with this or any other sites besides Good Sam at the moment.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #23

It must of been a temp glitch, as it loads fine now. I have never noticed any problems with their site. And if anyone thinks Good Sams site is any worse than any of the others in regards to ads, trackers, notifications, then perhaps you just don't like Good Sam. There is no real difference. They all have them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Yes, I just tried the Good Sam site. I waited 10 seconds and still no page load, so I closed the tab. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have something like lots of trackers and third party ad links that are slowing it down. I’m having no problem with this or any other sites besides Good Sam at the moment.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
It must of been a temp glitch, as it loads fine now. I have never noticed any problems with their site. And if anyone thinks Good Sams site is any worse than any of the others in regards to ads, trackers, notifications, then perhaps you just don't like Good Sam. There is no real difference. They all have them.

Try using uBlock Origin for Firefox or Chrome. Keeps the trackers at bay.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #25

Quote:
I am leaning towards KOA they have a good website to make reservations along with photo's that is high on my list. .
KOA also has an 'app' for smartphones and you can make reservations using that when wifi isn't available. There are times when you have to phone. For example, an event is happening in a town and everything is booked.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Being a thousand trails member it is very hard to use !! They have excuses for everything. Very sad ��
We had 200+ nights in the TT system last year (as fulltimers who move every 1-3 weeks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw1 View Post
I.m also wondering if anyone has a software/app that lists interesting things to see along the way. The Goodsam site use to but it is always coming soon for over a year. We used it for some excellent ideas/suggestions to stop and see along the way on past trips.

But now miss it., Any suggestions would be helpful.
RoadTrippers.com is a good site for finding neat places to go see and do. One of our favorite random finds was Dublin Gulch out near Death Valley, CA. A little odd, but neat.

For mapping trips, people who use RVTripWizard.com love it. I'm too cheap to pay the $40 or so per year.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #27

Good Sam, Excapees, FMCA and get Trailer Life.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #28

Good Sam and AAA
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #29

We have driven across the country 3 times and the only one we have a membership with is KOA. Maybe a Good Sam for supplies. We have stayed at KOA's often and you can always count on friendly help, an opening, and a clean place. We've also stayed at Cracker Barrell and Flying J's too. Good luck and have fun. Get apps for your phone to find places too. Reserve America lists a lot of state parks and you can make reservations as you are on your way.
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #30

Keep Good Notes

I use MYRVNotes.com to keep my information about trips, site reservations etc and my equipment.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #31

Quote:
I was looking for recommendations on what clubs or services to sigh up for?

Examples:
Good Sam
Allstay
passport America
Thousand trails

Will be traveling from the Midwest to the West coast top to bottom.
Elks Lodge! This is a fraternal organization that does a lot for the community. They also have Lodges throughout the U.S. with RV parks. Some are very basic, some have very nice parks. Once a member in good standing, if there is room, you will not be turned away. At the very lest you may have to dry camp. We've stayed in Scottsdale/Phoenix area for $15.00/nite during Spring Training.
Cedar Rapids Lodge has a golf course . I teed off at day break & had to chase the deer & rabbits off the course! If the local Lodge is next to the RV park you have a friendly bar to get local recommendations for dinner etc.
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #32

*Passport America. Great deals!!!!
*Good Sam. Only save 10%, save on camping Merch
*Escapees. Can save on their own sites.
*Harvest Host. Free, just need to frequent the host. I’m always up for a glass of wine or alpaca socks
*Thousand Trails. Camping Pass. Expensive but most parks are clean and have fun extras.
*KOA. Only save 10% may cancel
Boondockers Welcome. Not used yet, just joined, we’ll see
***** Also I like to boondock, solar required. Free

I’m members of them all. Just depends what I need when I need it. Subject to change.
Make memories
Traveler_GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #33

Federal 'America the Beautiful' if staying at COE or National Parks. If you are old enough, 1/2 price for camping, no additional charge for day pass, boat ramp.

Good Sam for the discounts. When added to a sale price, it gets the cost close to WalMart prices.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #34

There is an Elks lodge right down the street I should pop in.

I am thinking this year it will be a TT camp pass. 2 Zone plus the trails collection. Seems pretty cheap if you use it.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #35
nmdcporter

If you are looking for interesting places along your route check out the website Roadside America. I have found several interesting/quirky stops. I'm also an Elks member and I whole hardly agree with an earlier post. Great place to stop and during my travels, I have never been turned away if they allow overnight parking . I've only been to a few lodges that don't have RV parking, they are usually in the middle of towns with limited parking lots. They have a webpage that you can view lodges and most say if they allow overnight parking.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_153176197412F.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	224097
nmdcporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #36

Ones I have found to be worthwhile.

Boondockers Welcome is great - what's not to like about free camping on someone's property, and all the hosts I have met so far have been super-friendly.

I paid for my 2-year subscription to Passport America on my first week in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas (and this is high season), and I'm about to save a whole bunch more. I don't know about availability in other parts of the country yet.

Good Sam discounts have more than paid for the membership in the years I have been a member.

I also like some of the cellphone apps: RV Parky and RV Sleepy (aka OverNight Parking) have helped me find free overnights and dump stations (some of them free).

John
Slowly figuring out the meaning of life
thomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #37

Good Sams Diesel Discount is Rare

If you are counting on good Sams to save you money at the gas pump, good Luck! I have had a few rare times I did not have to go into the store 4-6 times to save a nickle a gallon. Rarely works for me unless I stand in line inside while customers buy raffle tickets, beer and hot dogs. I thought it would all work seamlessly at the pump but that doesn't happen for me.
sc_cmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_cmpr View Post
If you are counting on good Sams to save you money at the gas pump, good Luck! I have had a few rare times I did not have to go into the store 4-6 times to save a nickle a gallon. Rarely works for me unless I stand in line inside while customers buy raffle tickets, beer and hot dogs. I thought it would all work seamlessly at the pump but that doesn't happen for me.

Same with me. I’ve also found that some only sell biodiesel. I can usually find better prices in town too.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #39

Thumbs up RV Trip Wizard

As "Tundra 2014" says above RV Trip Wizard is great...…. We are full timers and this has saved us so much time researching diff campgrounds, maps have been pretty much on the money and "Reviews & Tips" are a great plus. Great 4 the price. Have fun & Be safe
The Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #40

Clubs

For an "Overnight" stop on our way to our destination we stop overnight at one of the many ELKS Lodges that offer RV parking. The hookups vary from dry to full service. Extended stays can usually be arranged, space permitting. Of course you have to be a member and a slight donation should be tendered. There are about 2,000 Lodges scattered throughout the US.

I'm sure that many American Legion, VFW or DAV Posts might allow you to stop overnight, if a member.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service