RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #41
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
As Pres. Reagen would have said: "There you go again".
It seems like every time someone comes up with a reasonable question about service, one of the "regulars" (aceinspp has 2663 posts) comes up with a dismissive answer which basically negates the issue raised as being somehow the fault of the customer. The quote above, for example, doesn't offer any help or advice; it simply implies that the unfortunate owner should have known better than to not buy locally, as is implied by the small print on the FR brochures. The owner didn't buy locally because they got a better deal elsewhere. It's the American way. Now, he has to expect to be "punished" by the local dealer for his correct economic decision.
Other variations on this theme advanced by the "regulars" (?FR employees) are that you have to make friends with the locals in order to expect service, it never happened to them, therefore it never happens, except to the few Whiners, all the FR folks they know are the greatest, etc. None of this is helpful to the owner who discovers they can't get service locally, unless they go through a time consuming dance with FR to get service authorized at a non FR facility.
I purchased my trailer from a ways away, I was lucky I did not need any warrantee work.. That said I took the risk, just like it is your right and the American way to shop around it us the shops right and the American way to service only their stuff... Sucks, wish the trailer industry was like the auto industry but it is not... Has nothing to do with the regulars and it is not a hit at the OP it is just the facts.

The way they make these things now you really run a risk to save a few thousand bucks if something is wrong, it is not like buying a car that can be fixed world wide, need to do a bit more homework or deal with the consequences. It blows...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I purchased my trailer from a ways away, I was lucky I did not need any warrantee work.. That said I took the risk, just like it is your right and the American way to shop around it us the shops right and the American way to service only their stuff... Sucks, wish the trailer industry was like the auto industry but it is not... Has nothing to do with the regulars and it is not a hit at the OP it is just the facts.

The way they make these things now you really run a risk to save a few thousand bucks if something is wrong, it is not like buying a car that can be fixed world wide, need to do a bit more homework or deal with the consequences. It blows...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doc73, you are absolutely correct.
I assume this forum is for the good of the owners, to give advice and help with problems.
The reason I mention the "regulars" is that I find when issues such as where to get service, quality control, or criticism of FR comes up, most often their posts are defensive, as if the owner who can't get service locally should have known better. Eventually, that becomes obvious, but only after a lot of time, research and aggravation. The disclaimer on the FR brochure to buy locally is in small print, and not emphasized by the dealers (of course). A newbie would never know this. When I bought mine, I was literally told by the dealer that I could get it serviced at "any dealer that sells any FR product, not just Coachmen". It was one of the reasons I was willing to buy it from a non local dealer. The statement is theoretically true, but in practice, it is very rarely true.
Sorry to go on like this. I don't think this forum should be a debating society. It should, however, be a resource for owners, not a defender of FR, which is, in my limited experience, a better than average company, making a better than average product, with good customer service.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #43
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,497
See my post #24 above. In my case buying local did not help. I believe many dealers see service as an expense "to be minimized" and a distraction to their main business of selling RVs. As a result, their service departments are understaffed, insufficiently trained, rushed, inexperienced, etc. Become obstructionist. Stall, make excuses, do poor work, etc. Not (in my case) an issue of "bought local vs bought elsewhere" - as I said above, I bought local for asking price. Issue was capability and competence.
As I said above, suspect there are good dealer service departments- just not in my (or, apparently, in many other's) experience.
Again, as I stated above, I found an independent RV repair shop the best solution- these guys have RV repair as their only business and therefore need to do it right to stay in business.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #44
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
doc73, you are absolutely correct.
I assume this forum is for the good of the owners, to give advice and help with problems.
The reason I mention the "regulars" is that I find when issues such as where to get service, quality control, or criticism of FR comes up, most often their posts are defensive, as if the owner who can't get service locally should have known better. Eventually, that becomes obvious, but only after a lot of time, research and aggravation. The disclaimer on the FR brochure to buy locally is in small print, and not emphasized by the dealers (of course). A newbie would never know this. When I bought mine, I was literally told by the dealer that I could get it serviced at "any dealer that sells any FR product, not just Coachmen". It was one of the reasons I was willing to buy it from a non local dealer. The statement is theoretically true, but in practice, it is very rarely true.
Sorry to go on like this. I don't think this forum should be a debating society. It should, however, be a resource for owners, not a defender of FR, which is, in my limited experience, a better than average company, making a better than average product, with good customer service.
You make a valid and sometimes true assessment that I agree with. This is no excuse for them but often the "regulars" see the same questions aksed day to day. Every day (exaggerating) 10 people post "why do my tries stink" or "Why does FR make poo" or, in this case (two going right now) why won't the local dealer, I did not buy from, not fix my trailer." All valid questions that deserve a better answer than "USE THE SEARCH" or the ever so pleasant "OH BY HERE WE GO AGAIN< THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED" as if the OP knew that since he just joined... I have a few posts and I will laugh when I see the same things posted 10 times, especially by the same OP, but I was there before not that long ago so I try to actually give help.. If I can.

Again, no excuse but I guess they have just gotten frustrated? I don't agree but they can seem that way at times. I just hope that it does not chase away the new folks.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
You did because, my guess, through the years you learned as did I over the course of my three trailers and my parents three... It is a shame the new buyers think this is like buying a car and the wrong sales person can make it worse.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,201
I'll start by admitting I have not read every post in this thread but I have
read the most recent 2 dozen or so.....

A couple of things come to mind-
1st Forest River Forums day to day moderation is done by purely volunteer staff. Period. We mods are here just because there is a need to keep things on track and because we have a love of RVing.

2nd the vast majority of posts are by other private citizens. When we discover a poster who is a dealer or manufacturer employee we change the font size and color of their user ID. We're not trying to hide anything sinister in the "back room"!

3rd generalizations usually aren't a good idea but for the sake of conversation here is one from me-- There are likely lots of happy RVers out there who are completely satisfied with their rigs and who don't ever post online! Folks who have a problem or complaint often seek online forums for help and to vent frustration at lack of help... It goes with the territory.
Then there are those who are happy and will defend their "brand". I totally get that!! Those that do the defending aren't necessarily "paid employees". They are just folks who like what they have!
I don't know why some seem to think any positive response must be some
secret employee who is here just to put a happy spin on the conversation.

We mods try very hard to be hands off the forums. Sometimes we just hand out advice on how to use the forums or move an errant post to the correct forum. Other times we find ourselves feeling like referees in a heavy weight prize fight. Those times I really don't enjoy the job much at all.....

Anyway- happy Monday! I'm off to pick up my rig from the dealer. They
have hopefully added a baffle to my less than stellar performing dometic fridge.
We'll take it to Florida later this winter and give it a test!! You've seen the saying "happy wife, happy life"? Well mine is "if the beer ain't cold, dad is
not a happy camper"!

Peace & Happy Trails!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #48
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,497
I think the moderators on this forum do a GREAT job - thank you!
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #49
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,644
Keep all us bums from crashing the train off the tracks.

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
I guess it helps to live in the frozen north.....

My dealer is all about service.
That's the only thing that keeps him going in the winter.

Sales really slow down, when it's minus a billion out, and 10 feet of snow.

We have the luxury of dropping the trailer off in November, and picking it up in April.

They have lots of time to fix whatever is needed.
On my sabre, the pdi list was 2 pages long.
I signed, and took the camper, knowing they would do me right over the winter.
Free storage
Free winterizing.
All repairs will be done. ( half are complete already)


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
KyDan, your post is very reasonable and well written. I agree with almost everything you say. I also acknowledge that some owners are so angry that their posts are simply an attempt to get back at FR.
I do take exception to one of your points.
I don't think people like me are always critical of those who write good reports about their RV. That's fine, and good to know that many people have good experiences. I am certainly not out to ruin the image of FR, or the RV industry in general. That would be totally counter productive, since I own one. I have even said many times how much I like mine, despite the problems I have encountered.
What I object to are answers like that above, (which almost sounds like quote from "Alice in Wonderland") which are unhelpful and aggressive, and the defensive tone of many of these responses.
Here's my point: one has to admit that, for some, there is a real problem with getting warranty work done. Some or even most may have good experiences; a significant fraction do not, and don't find out about it until they try to have the work done.
Those "regulars" who have "had" to answer the legitimate questions about this issue so many times that they are fed up, shouldn't answer. The fact that it has come up so often is an indication that it is a real problem.The people who pose the questions (such as the owner who started this thread) are presumably doing it because they have encountered an unexpected problem with getting warranty work done, and are looking for an answer. They haven't been following this forum for years, as have the "regulars".
My solution would be to have all FR dealers obligated to do warranty work, whether the unit is bought there or not. If that is not achievable, then at the very least, the dealers and especially FR should openly acknowledge this potential issue before purchase (not by putting it in the small print on the brochure). The new owner should not have to find out only after wasting valuable time and money, nor by being forced to research the issue on forums such as this one. Nor should they be subjected to disdain and semi-ridicule by those in the know, or the implication that it is their fault, because they should have known better. This type of response, which is more common than it should be, does nothing to help the bewildered owner. It also blemishes the reputation of the "brand".
FR may even benefit with full acknowledgement of the issue. How much employee time and money do they waste dealing with these issues through the "back door"?
Regarding the issue of whether or not FR employees participate in this forum, it first came to my attention when a "regular" mentioned those on the forum "in the shadows". Spooky!
Thank you for your valuable service to us.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,328
I don't think you necessarily want the answer that you suggest - require FR dealers to service any FR unit (or in other words, "be careful what you wish for").


As reading the forums reveal, and as you state, many FR owners have trouble getting decent service - regardless of whether they bought from the servicing dealer or not.


As has been pointed out, many FR dealers have poor-to-piss-poor service departments (as do a significant number of auto dealers). Finding a trustworthy and reasonably-priced repair shop for my automobiles usually results in an independent shop that knows when they are over their heads, and will then refer me to a dealer they trust.


The RV dealership where I bought my Rockwood A-frame has an excellent service and repair shop (they gave me the lowest price for hundreds of miles around, too). As a result, they are always booked solid. Dropping in for service usually results in a couple of weeks delay.


For warranty work, the service manager and I would talk on the phone before I drove up there (50 miles each way). Together, we would determine the urgency of the work, and whether they had the parts in stock or not. From there, they would schedule me to complete the work the same day I arrived - usually 2-3 weeks out unless I had to have it right now.


This particular shop will work on any RV, but sales customers have priority in scheduling. Seems like a reasonable arrangement to me, very similar to what I see at most car dealerships.


just my experiences, your experiences and expectations may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 411
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I also had a dealer that did not like to do warranty work. When I had taken it back three time to have a number of items fixed and still had some not fixed. (Me screen door would not latch) They had kind of twisted it each time and by now was all warped. I asked do you mean I will have to go to Elkhart IN to get my rv fixed. There reply was that would be a good idea. We went to TX that winter and were able to make an appointment to stop in at FR service on our way home. They fixed everything on our list plus a number of things that the saw that I had not asked them to fix.
Some years back I had Lincoln that I had bought from an out of town dealer. I had tried to buy one from the local dealer and he didn't want to sell me what I wanted but rather what he wanted to sell me. When I tried to take it to the local dealer for service the owner told me to take it where I bought it. So not all car dealers like doing service.
__________________
2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake™ Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #54
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 63
I've had one heartland, 2 keystone and 3 forest river rvs in the last 7 years. 5 from the local dealer with phenomenal service. I bought the last one from a dealer 60 miles away and again the service is phenomenal. Western Kansas ethics probably plays a big part in this.
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #55
ycj
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
We have a 2016 Shamrock 183. I too wanted to buy local, but couldn't get one dealer out of my four local ones to really "hand hold" me through my first rv experience. I bought from Keystone RV Center 3 hours away. Great experience, saved 25% and will go back. I'm in Sales, and it amazes me how little effort the sales people I worked with really tried to get me in a trailer. I go to rv shows and no one approaches you to even see if you own one or may be interested in the one that my entire family has setup shop in.

3 months after we purchased, I had a heated mattress go bad and my local dealer would not help me because I didn't buy from them. Keystone was more than willing to help, but I didn't feel like driving 3 hours. I was blown away and called FR. they shipped me one and told me that dealerships are not obligated to help you. They do not sign agreements with FR. Shocking! My thought is why would you not try and start a relationship where I may buy from you in the future. Over the winter we looked at a Jayco model on sale for $20,000. While I was there I looked at Keystone RV Center and the same trailer was $14,999. And if I traded in the price was $3000 more before they even looked at my trade in. By the way after one year and a half, tomorrow morning we are going to look at bigger trailers. Should I buy local? I guess we will see how tomorrow goes, but I have a feeling I will be headed to State Line, PA.
ycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #56
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 726
Every company and person has a bad day. Forest River is a good company. Berkshire Hathaway. They will make it right if you approach and ask them right. Don't go in angry and demanding. Good luck.
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #57
ycj
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
What does it take to get warranty work done?

My issue is not with Forest River. My issue is how these dealerships represent the brand. To be told to take my trailer back to where I purchased it is ridiculous. What if I just moved here? When you get that response from a sales person who is asking an owner and I can hear him say that it in the background is comical. Today I went to a different dealership and looked at trailers for almost an hour. Not once were we approached. Again comical, maybe even sad.
ycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Every company and person has a bad day. Forest River is a good company. Berkshire Hathaway. They will make it right if you approach and ask them right. Don't go in angry and demanding. Good luck.
FR is not alone in having a bad day, or decade.
The entire RV industry is infested with shoddy workmanship, poor quality control, and poor customer service.
Your statement that that FR is a good company is based on what? Being owned by BH is certainly not proof of that.
One of the most ludicrous excuses which comes up constantly in these threads is that in order to get good service from a FR company or dealership, one must be nice, on their best behavior, like a third grader. The reason people aren't nice is because they are treated badly and get frustrated.
What happened to the idea that the customer is always right (even when it's clear that they aren't)?
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #59
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 726
Jeffrapp....gotta killem with kindness. the honey and bees thing, you know its true....gotta feed peoples egos.
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 177
Benchmark
Of course, we all should start off being nice. The bees are right.
What I'm talking about is what happens after the customer is repeatedly abused, and finally loses patience, and gets angry. This frequently causes the human nervous system to stop producing honey, and start producing vinegar, with unfortunate results all around.
The responsibility for pleasant behavior should not start with the customer, but with the company. That's why it's called customer service.
When I bring my Mercedes based Prism into a Mercedes dealer for service, they are consistently as nice and efficient as they can be. When I used to bring it to a Prism dealer, the experience was just the opposite. The customer (me) was always wrong.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
warranty

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.