Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #21

Hose support

We use a Camco hose support that compacts and seems to work pretty well. It was $25.50 on eBay.

Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #22

I bought a 50' x 5/8" hose and cut it into three pcs - 25, 15 and 10 ft lengths and marked the lengths with a felt tip marker at both ends.

I bought two Viper sewer hoses. One 20 ft that I've used 99% of the time and a 10 ft that I used twice. Once with the 20 and once by itself at a NP dump station where I found a pinhole leak in it. I contacted Valterra/Viper, sent them a copy of my receipt and because it was less than a year old they sent me a new one at NC.

I also bought an adjustable oil filter wrench to help connecting the black hose to the TT fitting. Sometimes it takes a little extra to get the bump to "click" in the notch.

I keep my hoses clean in a bumper mounted storage tube. 5x5 plastic tube with a plastic gutter to slide the hose in and out with. NO RUST. I put caps on the ends to keep the hose compressed. I also have a 45 clear connection at the TT to verify how the dump is going. Occasionally I'll use the Tornado to rinse the black tank.

I haven't felt the need to get vinyl gloves. I don't use gloves when I go to the bathroom and I'm a lot closer to black water than when I'm dumping. I do have a sanitizer that I'll use before getting behind the wheel to leave.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
ARLO

We carry a 25 and 50 ft hoses with us for city water hook up. I made up a 15 footer from an older potable water hose to fill our tank. In 35 years, we may have had to fill our tank about 1/2 dozen times.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

When you first start camping, it's a good idea to know where the nearest RV supply stores are because you're going to have to disconnect and go buy something. (I'd estimate 80% of the time when you are new!)

Besides forgetting food and such you'll also come upon situations where the water supply is 50 foot away from you are or the sewer drain is, also, far away (or even on the wrong side.)

On tip for hoses is, when storing, to drain then to connect to themselves. That way, you won't have any residual stuff coming out. (I even have caps that I fit over my sewer hoses and they all go in a big, plastic bin, with a tight cover, that I keep in the truck bed)

I always keep a box of baby wipes in the truck as my hands get filthy while camping.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #25

I carry a gallon baggy of nitrile gloves, keeps them clean and dry till I use them when dumping, I get them at Auto Zone.

15 foot Rhino + an extra 10 feet and a clear 45 end.

1 35 foot blue water hose with 2 15 foot white hoses.

1 25 foot purple hose for tank flush.

3 sets of these.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

And here is ANOTHER lesson learned (the hard way)...

NOT all sewer hoses are compatible with each other...so know what you have when you have to buy extensions or connectors. (After wasting trips to the store, I now take lots of pictures on my cell phone before heading to the store....or I just bring the part with me!!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #27

For storing the potable water hoses I bought a couple of plastic wreath boxes at Lowe's when they were closing out their Christmas decorations a couple of years ago. They have a cover with a latch, keep the hoses clean, are waterproof in case some water leaks out of the hoses, and the round shape makes it very easy to put the hoses in there. It also helps protect the hoses from abrasion and the handle makes it easy to carry from the trailer to the spigot. I also keep the pressure regulator valve and 90 degree connector in there so that everything is together and easy to find.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #28

No matter what you get one day you'll need more.

You'll need a water pressure regulator, Valtera makes a high flow we like better than the standard ones.

We like the Camco blue water hoses varying lengths, I think we have 3 of them.

We also opted for the Valtera Dominator sewer hose, we had some issues with the rhino.

We have 2 separate buckets with lids we bought at the hardware store so we can store the fresh water stuff in one and the sewer stuff in the other.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #29

Thanks for your help. Good to talk to someone familiar with our set up. We are looking forward to a great camping season
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #30

Is the blue line kit a brand? Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #31

I will check this type hose out. Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #32

Great ideas. Thanks for the video link.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #33

So great to hear from another mini lite owner. I will defiantly look into the Pinesol idea.
Any ideas you can share on dishes and storage would be appreciated . Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #34

Camco Blue Hose

Here's a link from Amazon but you can buy them most anywhere from Walmart and a lot of RV websites.

I think I have a 10 and 2 35's. Always better to have too much hose than not enough.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHurtgen View Post
Thanks so much for your responses. I'm sure we will have many more questions before our first camping trip this spring. Good to know you all are here to help
Did not see yet so I will say GET A pressure REGULATOR. And use it at the faucet to keep high pressure not only off your coach but off your hoses as well. City pressure can easily be over 100 psi in some places and your system is designed to take about 50.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #36

Good idea about using the regulator at the faucet. That would make sense as you do want the pressure controlled from the starting point. Thanks for the ideas.