Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I don't use chlorine to sanitize my fresh water tank so no need to flush it out.

I use Sodium dichlor:

"
The way I Sanitize My RV's Fresh Water Tank.

A friend and fellow full time RVer, Bill Randolph told me how he uses something other than household bleach which works well for him and I also started using it. I think is worth passing on to you. Before he retired, Bill spent twenty years in the swimming pool business. He's an expert when it comes to sanitizing swimming pools and spas and says the same rules apply to RV fresh water systems.
Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well.
Bill says it takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. After that, just a half teaspoon per 100 gallons with each refill will keep the tank fresh.
Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight so when he arrives at park where he plans to stay for a while he drops a half teaspoon of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized.
This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use just what Bill recommends.
Because Chlorinating Concentrate is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a small container. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it. You should be able to find Chlorinating Concentrate at any pool supplies or spa store. Bill says there are several brands to choose from. "
You forgot to mention that you cannot enter your pool after you sanitize it until the dichlor levels drop down to a safe level. If you don't raise the level to at least 100PPM over 4 hours you've done nothing to make your water supply safe.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #22

Like someone said earlier it is good to use on the grass at night to catch the night crawlers.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #23
Greg

Hey, what's the worst that could happen? You don't have to mow the lawn for couple of months! Win Win
GregoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #24

As a new owner also- where do you go to put the bleach into the fresh water tank? Im only aware of the hose connection to fill the tank.

I have a 31 Georgetown MH.

Thanks
Dale310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #25
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale310 View Post
As a new owner also- where do you go to put the bleach into the fresh water tank? Im only aware of the hose connection to fill the tank.

I have a 31 Georgetown MH.

Thanks
Pour a 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water into the hose before connecting to the fresh water fill inlet.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #26

Dale, just use a 25 foot hose and pour your n0n-scented regular bleach in the end of the hose, hook it up to your water faucet and turn it on, fill your tank and run the water in every faucet in your rig with your pump. Let let set overnight or at least 4 hours. I use 1/4 cup of fresh bleach /per ten gallons water. After the time is up, dump the tank, refill and pump your lines clear, maybe twice. In over 50 years I have not had any problems.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #27

It is also a very good idea to remove the cartridge from the RV's water filter before sanitizing as the activated carbon filter will work to remove the chlorine passing through it, and the high chlorine concentration you are putting through the filter will wipe out it's future effectiveness.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #28

Piece of hose on a funnel works good to add bleach to tank before filling.
X1 on removing the onboard filter first.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #29
PhD, Common Sense

Each or our twin generators came with a funnel with a 6 tube. One of those now resides in our winterizing/dewinterizing kit.

We put a small amount of water in the tank, add the bleach using the funnel, then finish filling the tank.
eye95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water