Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #61
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Ditto on the black tank flush. I'll let my run for 15 minutes EVERY time I empty before packing up.

After I dump the black tank, I'll close the valve and use the rinse to fill it back up again and empty it again. Repeat until water runs clear. If I'm traveling from one campsite to another both with sewer connections, I'll half fill the black tank with water before leaving so that as we travel it will slosh around and rinse the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #62

I've got a few...

+1 on the Geo Method pashooter mentioned above. Another +1 on using lots of water to dump (that IS part of the Geo method, after all). We are selling our 8-year-old TT. No tank treatments besides Calgon and laundry crystals - ever - and all the sensors still work!

If there's a bad smell in the camper when you stop, don't assume it's the toilet. Grey water can smell as bad or worse. Shower P-traps are small and may empty in transit or evaporate quickly. Keep a plug in while traveling and put some water in the shower to refresh the trap when you arrive.

If you use locking chocks - the kind that spread outwards to lock both wheels together - go around and tighten them after your tires have had a chance to cool. Yeah... shrinkage.

Be kind to your partner in parking. When in doubt, do not shout. Get outside and check it out!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
I've got a few...

+1 on the Geo Method pashooter mentioned above. Another +1 on using lots of water to dump (that IS part of the Geo method, after all). We are selling our 8-year-old TT. No tank treatments besides Calgon and laundry crystals - ever - and all the sensors still work!

If there's a bad smell in the camper when you stop, don't assume it's the toilet. Grey water can smell as bad or worse. Shower P-traps are small and may empty in transit or evaporate quickly. Keep a plug in while traveling and put some water in the shower to refresh the trap when you arrive.

If you use locking chocks - the kind that spread outwards to lock both wheels together - go around and tighten them after your tires have had a chance to cool. Yeah... shrinkage.

Be kind to your partner in parking. When in doubt, do not shout. Get outside and check it out!
As a newbie I am reading EVERYTHING in this thread and this post is one of the most useful. There are several!! Thank you all!!

Marty
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #64
Broken Toe

My advice...

Remember that a bad trip today, makes for a great story tomorrow.

Don't discount the enjoyment you will have, sitting around the campfire with friends some day, and retelling the story of your worst camping trip. It may not seem like fun at the time, but eventually, you will get a chuckle outta forgotten items, destroyed jacks, or the random dump station 'unpleasantness'.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #65

Don't forget the coffee! Nothing like setting around the campfire with friends and a pot of coffee heating on the fire.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My advice...

Remember that a bad trip today, makes for a great story tomorrow.

Don't discount the enjoyment you will have, sitting around the campfire with friends some day, and retelling the story of your worst camping trip. It may not seem like fun at the time, but eventually, you will get a chuckle outta forgotten items, destroyed jacks, or the random dump station 'unpleasantness'.

Tim
Amen! This is all about fun, right? Whatever happens you'll get through it, maybe learn something, and have some stories to remember and tell. It's all a matter of keeping the right attitude.

We haven't been RVing nearly as long as many here... two years with a TT and starting our 3rd year with a MH. My most pleasant surprise was that dumping tanks was a lot less... unpleasant... than I expected it might be. No disasters in that department yet... maybe mine is yet to come!

My biggest "Oh Crap!" moment came when leaving a heavily wooded campground with the TT. It was a very pleasant day so I had the windows down in the truck for the first time since towing. As I maneuvered a tight turn with trees on both sides... BAM! "Oh Stuff!" sez me. I got out and did a walkaround, expecting the worst. Nothing. No damage, and I wasn't close to anything I could have hit. What the heck? Then it dawned on me - it was one of the WD bars on my Reese dual-cam breaking free of the cam... first time I'd heard that with the windows open. Whew! Those things are noisy... but whew!

I'm sure we have many "small disasters" to come... but like they say... don't sweat the small stuff... and if you walk away it's all small stuff. Enjoy!

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #67

Get rid of the cheap included stinky slink that comes with 90% of the campers and buy a rynoflex or like brand.

Buy a clear connector for the stinky slinky, it will amaze you how much guck will come out after it had run clear for a couple minutes.

Have a essentials tool bag as mentioned in other post. A extra 50/30 amp circuit breaker, light bulbs, wood screws, plumbers tape, duct tape.....
Old 05-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #68

When we set up and take down, I'm responsible for the inside stuff and my sister for the outside stuff. After setting up (or taking down) we switch and I take a look around to see if she's missed anything outside and she does the same inside. When getting ready to leave we both switch once again for a final look. And - most important - have fun, otherwise, why are we doing this? Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #69

You will hit something.

We limit driving to 3 on 1 off.

If everything feels good, you missed something.

A damn good cooler.

Set the Emergency brake every time.

Kids will break everything.

Spend the money on an excellent hitch.

You won't know until you do it.
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #70

Double check drawer closures. Pull each drawer to assure they are secured. Our first trip out ended up with our silverware drawer sliding out of its compartment and spilling contents everywhere. Drawer catches had to be repaired too.
margepugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #71

Lot's of Great advice! Worth a read and reread!

I have a few, although they have been stated and restated.

1. "Don't hurry, better to be good than quick." (I load the day before because I always want to hurry)

2. "The goal is fun, not perfection." It is about the people you are camping with, not the stuff or the process.

3. "Be electronically simple." Unplug when you can and focus on people, not devices. I have three teens and this has been the best thing for us.

4. "Everyone brings something to the table." Everyone brings one thing they want/like to do so it's not just about doing my favorite things. They aren't camping with me, we're camping together.

2004 F-150 Lariat Super Crew
2019 Nights camped - 22
DCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #72

I'm still very new, only two trips but this stuff is a God sent. http://www.poopourri.com/

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #73

All great tips here.

Mine has been mentioned but make lists and double check each other can't be stressed enough.

Also, have fun and learn to laugh at yourself!

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #74

Don't sweat the little things and don't worry about making mistakes you will not likely ever see you camping neighbor again or you may keep in touch.......... we have all been there done that.

Just

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #75

Life, and camping, have two rules.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

2. It's all small stuff.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #76

After setting up and before making a beer run while the wife is making dinner, always unhook the safety chains.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:31 AM   #77

Learned this past weekend:

1. When parking on a sandy slope, do not rely on traditional plastic chocks alone
2. Do not ever rely on the front stabilizers to support the trailer's weight or hold its position while retracting the tongue jack to put more blocks underneath (especially when the stabilizers are cheap and lightweight stamped-steel crap)
3. Raise the stabilizers fully when lowering the tongue
4. A tongue jack post with no foot can go pretty deep into a sandy site when it falls off the tongue jack block
5. Sufficient blocks can support the A-frame while the tongue jack is retracted from the sand to place wood underneath
6. An F150 jack is a good stand in for a stamped steel piece of crap that gets bent out of shape
7. A big bin full of square cut 2x6 pieces in slabs from 1.5 to 6 inches in height is a PITA to lug along but a wonderful thing to have on hand when you need it
8. A cold beer is a very nice thing to have on hand when stuff like this gets sorted out
9. A local dealer with a large parts stock that is open on Sunday afternoon is a wonderful thing when you are looking for replacement stabilizers
10. You can laugh about this stuff, but not right away. I'm laughing now.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #78

Don't stress, even when faced with serious issues, else you'll fall down to the dark side.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #79

1. Don't forget to pack your underwear ... oops.
2. Remember that you need lots of room to make right hand turns. We got stuck on a Stop sign in a parking lot once. Had to climb on RV roof and unbolt the sign so I could tuck my tail and run away!
3. Test the generator at home. Working on it on the picnic table when you need it is not the best use of your time.
4. Bring cash to purchase firewood (lot's of restrictions on bringing fire wood due to bugs).
5. While backing into a site, people seem to come out of the woodwork to help. I usually accept the offer but I listen to my wife before anyone else (unless a tree is involved).
6. Don't forget to pack the DW's beer ... a really big oops!
7. When you think you have enough beer packed in the camper ... sadly you don't.

The most important ... having fun while learning, or teaching, new ways to do things ... whatever they may be.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #80

In between camping trips remember to keep fridge door open, it needs to breath or else you get a bad smell.
pineiro is offline   Reply With Quote