Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Which TPMS

I am considering adding a TPMS to my FR Lexington GTS 265. Which system do you recommend and how do we install it to be able to easily add are to the two inner rear tires? I am going tow a Honda CRV and need to know if the transmitters are strong enough to reach from the road to the monitor? Thank you all in advance. This is great forum.
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Team

TST507. Do a quick search for TPMS there are many lengthy discussions here.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

X2 on the 507. I have had them for three years now and no problems other than replacing the batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Flybob, I tried that but did not see any detailed STD507 "how to" discussions. I am sure they must be here but I didn't find them. Help?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #5

I recently installed a TST510 system on our FR Sunseeker 2600s (28 ft).

The kit comes with an install/setup manual which shows how to enter the individual sensor codes, etc. My sensors are the screw on closed type. There is also a flow through type meaning you add air directly without removing the sensor. There is a special wrench (supplied) to lock the sensors on the valve to prevent theft.
I read many of the posts on here about the safety aspects of knowing what your tires are doing. Some research is required, to figure out what type of tire valves you have (rubber or metal). Then you need to figure out what type of valve extension you need.

I was happy to see that my inner wheels already had the braided steel covered hose coming out through the wheel simulator (hub cap) so access is no problem. If your unit does not have the extension, you will need to find some - search online or look at Camping World for example. There are also shorter solid extensions in 45 or 90 degree angles to achieve access. They can be delicate and breakable. Don't ask how I know that!
My steer wheels are a little tricky. Had to remove the wheel simulators (hub caps). The extensions I used put my sensors in one of the holes in the simulator so I have to remove the hub cap to add air. I can probably find an angled, longer extension to eliminate that task.
The display is simple, just plug it into a 12v supply, choose your mounting method (in an air vent or use velcro). It has a small antenna and the signals from my six sensors reach the display wirelessly very well. The program cycles through all six tires, showing air pressure and temperature.

So, equipped with a TST507 or 510 and the suitable extensions you're in business.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Truck System Technologies

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

We have a Tireminder. It monitors tire pressure and temperature. Comes with free battery replacements till 2017.
mbienve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbienve View Post
We have a Tireminder. It monitors tire pressure and temperature. Comes with free battery replacements till 2017.
And that is what turned me OFF of Tireminder and went with the TST system. Tireminder, you have to return the censer to the seller to get the battery changed, with TST, you are able to change the battery on your own when one goes bad.

Correct me if I am wrong about the Tireminder system.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
And that is what turned me OFF of Tireminder and went with the TST system. Tireminder, you have to return the censer to the seller to get the battery changed, with TST, you are able to change the battery on your own when one goes bad.

Correct me if I am wrong about the Tireminder system.
No, you get an extra set in the box. After about 6 months remove the batteries from the censers and replace them with the extra ones in the box. Then mail the old batteries in.
mbienve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #10

TST 507 for us.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

I bought a Dill system from Discount Tire, with the valve stem sensors and am very pleased with it.

It measures pressure and temperature, battery life is 7 to 10 years in the sensors, the monitor just plugs into my 12 VDC power jack, very simple to setup, by Discount, very easy to read. For lengths over 40 feet, use external antennae. It is expandable.

Dill systems are well known for their quality, did a lot of research on them. Be careful of the sensors that fasten to your valve stems, they can knock the balance out of the tires, some are too long to and require removal when putting in air.

Every system has their pros and cons. The Dill will measure a long distance before installing the wired antennae. I believe I have $290 into the monitor and $60 to install the sensor valve stems and re-balance the tires.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

I bought the TST 507RV and had steel valves and the TPMS installed. I also had them fill the tires with nitrogen. It works great, and I am so glad I got it. Thanks for all the great info and suggestions.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #13

I tell people to buy what you trust, I have the TST 507. I think TPMS should be standard on all campers

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I tell people to buy what you trust, I have the TST 507. I think TPMS should be standard on all campers

I agree, I believe a TPMS should be standard equipment on all RVs, especially after having a brand new tire come apart in less than 100 miles.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #15

"you have to return the censer to the seller to get the battery changed, with TST, you are able to change the battery on your own when one goes bad.

Correct me if I am wrong about the Tireminder system."

You return the batteries. Not the sensors. Of course you can get batteries at WM.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #16

TPMS SYSTEM (4 FLOW THROUGH SENSOR)

Works great.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
Needs Help

Learn from me here. I have a TST 507rv and it works like a champ right until the wheel simulator flys off. I bought stainless zip ties to hold the simulators on but never put them to use. When the simulator came off it ruined one of my wheel sensors.

Regardless of my failure, I would go with the TST 507 again. That said, I do have a question for those of you with a 507. Do you have any issues with the power plug not staying in the head unit? The charger I got has a tip about 1/2in long but only goes in about half that and will fall out quite easily. Fortunately it holds a charge for several days.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #18

TPMS

No problem with my TST 507rv unit. Had it for three years and it saved my butt MANY times till I finally put good tires on the unit.
Sounds like someone may have bent the plug while it was installed in the monitor. I would plug it in and put a dash of GOOP connecting the two together, tape them together till it dries and don't worry about disconnecting them. I never turn mine off except when the TV is turned off. It lives on the dash along with the GPS, dashcam, tuner, and radar detector.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
No problem with my TST 507rv unit. Had it for three years and it saved my butt MANY times till I finally put good tires on the unit.
Sounds like someone may have bent the plug while it was installed in the monitor. I would plug it in and put a dash of GOOP connecting the two together, tape them together till it dries and don't worry about disconnecting them. I never turn mine off except when the TV is turned off. It lives on the dash along with the GPS, dashcam, tuner, and radar detector.
Today, I finally got around to messing with the TST507rv unit which I purchased months ago. I got all the sensors on the coach to work after reading through the instructions a few times. I have not attached the ones to the jeep yet, put I don't anticipate any additional difficulties.

My next adventure is getting power to all the equipment that will live on the dash. Right now, I will have to power the TST monitor, Patriot braking system, ocasionally a GPS, phone charger and who know what ever new items we can't live without. I am sure theses items do not draw much current, so do you use a splitter off your existing outlet? Or did you add additional power sources directly from the fuse box?
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #20

Everything on my dash is hardwired into the fuse panel on the dash in the door jam. Very little power usage, so you really don't need to increase any fuses. Everything does not have to be powered off the same circuit just make sure you use a circuit that turns on and off with the ignition.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote