Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Winter camping tips

On our current trip to stay warm for the winter, from Florida to Arizona, we encountered snow at Polo Duro St park in TX. Temps dipped to 21 degrees. Although I had an air compressor and anti-freeze, I did not winterize.
Instead, I wrapped the city water hose with heat tape. Added foam insulation to the outside water faucets, the back wall of the bathroom sink and toilet, kept open the bathroom door, and kept open any storage doors inside to any plumbing.
Only problem was when we were leaving it was still freezing outside and we stopped at the dump station. FROZEN gray water! But only at the release valve!
Solution is next time I suspect freezing temps, I will dump and then immediately pour 1/4 gal anti-freeze in the gray and black tanks to fill the plumbing around the release valves. I can beat old man winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84FE771C-4D70-41CC-A7FE-39C86BB78411.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	224057  
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #2

I wrapped everything with self regulating heat tape. All 3 tanks and drains as well as supply plumbing.

We had lows in the teens and didn't have anything (that I know of) freeze up.

Historically we've had the supply to the kitchen faucet freeze, probably where it lays on the fender liner (1/8" plastic between it and outside).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I wrapped everything with self regulating heat tape. All 3 tanks and drains as well as supply plumbing.

We had lows in the teens and didn't have anything (that I know of) freeze up.

Historically we've had the supply to the kitchen faucet freeze, probably where it lays on the fender liner (1/8" plastic between it and outside).
Sounds like a lot of work. But a great solution!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

If I know it will be below freezing for a couple days, I add a bit of anti-freeze whenever I flush and add to the sink drain occasionally.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #5

the winter camping I have done that was not boon-docking I use my tank heaters and heated water hose with foam insulation around the brass connections. I also keep one small window on the slide cracked open and the bedroom fan on low stops the condensation.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter