Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Question Winter Travel

I have never used my Travel Trailer in the winter, but im thinking about going somewhere after xmas. I am worried about water freezing if I should drain the lines each time I get on the road. or if I can leave the heat on low. While i am moving. If anyone has any thoughts I would like to hear them.
Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

It doesn't take long to drain. And to hand pump the pink stuff into the lines. I got were in about 30 min I'm done. We do a lot of winter camping. It a great time to go. You get the campsites all to yourself.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #3

About what I thought, had to ask just in case there is some other way. Thankyou
Old 12-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

Granger you didn't say what type, MFG,model of TT you have or what options are on it? I GUESS you still have a V-Lite,if so going down the road in freezing conditions will cause many water system issues, the artic-package heated tanks are just for static use at best! Your LPDs,outside shower, city water inlet, water filter will FREEZE! If going to use V-Lite in below freezing "Winterize "! Youroo! !
Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We would leave the heat on low while traveling to keep things inside from freezing.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
We would leave the heat on low while traveling to keep things inside from freezing.
There are many things on a V-Lite that are on the outside. ,inside heat does nothing for this! Youroo! !
Old 12-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

All the water lines, hot water tank, fresh water, are inside the trailer. The outside shower lines are in the in the inside shower walls. The only thing outside are the Black,Gray, and Galley tanks and they are always empty when on the road. Heat sounds like a good idea as long as its not dangers. The trailer has heat pads that are suppose to be be good to about 15 degrees but I think they only work if your plugged in. Draining probably the best hate to have to drain hot water tank every time i move to another spot.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #8

I would only drain if the temps required it and you are going to be on the road for a long time. Usually when we winter travel it is warmer (at freezing or above) during the daylight hours so we don't worry about it as long as we stop before the temps get well below freezing again. Just have to use your judgement and watch the weather. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

[QUOTE=NMWildcat;1379739]I would only drain if the temps required it and you are going to be on the road for a long time. Usually when we winter travel it is warmer (at freezing or above) during the daylight hours so we don't worry about it as long as we stop before the temps get well below freezing again. Just have to use your judgement and watch the weather. Good luck![/QUOTX3

X2
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

When traveling in the Winter heading to a warmer climate what about food in the refrigerator. I have the camper winterized and will leave it that way until I get south. Can I load the refrigerator before I go or will that be a problem?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccul View Post
When traveling in the Winter heading to a warmer climate what about food in the refrigerator. I have the camper winterized and will leave it that way until I get south. Can I load the refrigerator before I go or will that be a problem?

We always travel with the fridge on gas. Your rig being winterized shouldn't affect being able to run it. Have fun!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #12

I travel with the refrigerator running on gas all the time. My concern is things freezing in the refrigerator while traveling.

74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccul View Post
I travel with the refrigerator running on gas all the time. My concern is things freezing in the refrigerator while traveling.

Ah! We have never had a freezing problem in the fridge during winter travel once we had the thermistor adjusted correctly and the fridge wasn't packed tight.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #14

We'll be traveling in January from winterized north to warm south, too. I have a plumbing question though.

With the water pump in the trailer winterized and no water in the fresh tank, we plan to only use camp ground water at the site. Does this "city water" co-mingle with my water pump in any way? If we only use the hook up water I won't have to re-winterize the water pump....correct? I WILL have to pump pink stuff through the city water inlet to flush the system of water once we begin heading north again...correct?
Old 12-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

By pumping antifreeze through your waterlines you will be pumping antifreeze through the pump. Don't forget to drain water heater if you use it.

Of course if you are far enough south you don't need to worry about any winterizing.

I'm in Richmond, Va area and heading to North Fort Myers, Fl next Thursday. Our first stop will be in South Carolina and I'll de-winterize then.

Duane

2016 Silverado LTZ 2500 HD d/a

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
We'll be traveling in January from winterized north to warm south, too. I have a plumbing question though.

With the water pump in the trailer winterized and no water in the fresh tank, we plan to only use camp ground water at the site. Does this "city water" co-mingle with my water pump in any way? If we only use the hook up water I won't have to re-winterize the water pump....correct? I WILL have to pump pink stuff through the city water inlet to flush the system of water once we begin heading north again...correct?
Yes, the city water 'co-mingles' with the water supplied by the pump in your plumbing system. As for the pump... IF the pump's internal check valve is working properly, no city water should backflow into the pump itself or the fresh water tank. I'm not sure though that is a chance I'd want to take as far as depending on not having something freeze up once back in a cold climate.

How do you plan to pump the pink stuff through the city water port?
How did you winterize the pump to begin with?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #17

Your city water system will put fresh water in the lines to the fixtures and in the hot water heater and filter. The pump check valve should prevent fresh water from entering the pump itself and the line between the pump and the fresh water tank. as such, any antifreeze that you put there will remain as long as you don't add water to the fresh water tank and use the pump. You will, however, have to re-drain the hot water heater and either purge the lines and fixtures using compressed air or by re-pumping antifreeze through the pump.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #18

I by-pass the fresh tank into the pump with a hose into a jug of anti-freeze and turn on the pump. Then open each faucet till the pink shows up. Looks like I'll still have to do that to re-winterize even if I don't use the pump or fresh tank.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
I by-pass the fresh tank into the pump with a hose into a jug of anti-freeze and turn on the pump. Then open each faucet till the pink shows up. Looks like I'll still have to do that to re-winterize even if I don't use the pump or fresh tank.
Yes better safe than sorry, and you will sleep better! Youroo! !

Tags
travel, winter