Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin58 View Post
I use a large bag of charcoal laid out,cut open and peeled back on the kitchen table
I gotta ask where you got that from. Supposedly activated charcoal has hygroscopic properties, but charcoal briquettes are NOT activated charcoal. I looked it up just to learn something new, but found nothing that indicates that charcoal briquettes would make an effective desiccant.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #42

Some types of cat litter work as desiccant also.

Lots of gun safes around the country have plastic containers of the stuff with holes drilled in their lids "standing guard".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I gotta ask where you got that from. Supposedly activated charcoal has hygroscopic properties, but charcoal briquettes are NOT activated charcoal. I looked it up just to learn something new, but found nothing that indicates that charcoal briquettes would make an effective desiccant.
I've used hardwood lump charcoal not briquettes for a number of years now in my travel trailer and I live in Southern Ontario. I have never had a moister problem when checking on the trailer throughout the winter and when I open it up in the spring.
I was told to use this trick from a local trailer dealer in the area.
justcruisin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

Interesting. I tried to find out more about that method but couldn't find anything. There are mentions of charcoal mixed into desiccants for odor control, but nothing about amount of actual moisture absorption. It just sort of reminds me of "sleep with garlic all around your bed, and you'll never have a problem with vampires. I do it and haven't had a vampire problem yet!" But if it's working for ya...do you burn the charcoal in the summer?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #45
Blessed old folks

Moisture Absorber

I have purchased the (approximate size) 3”x5” plastic canister that says “Moisture Absorber” on it as a title? Or Name? It sits and over time accumulated some water in the bottom of it???
If we are talking about same product..... the best place I have found them and they work the same. Is the .99, Dollar Tree, or Dollar Store or the like. In regular stores I have seen them priced from $2.49 to $5.99 so no sense in wasting money you plan on throwing away.😃

Yes they work!!! By accumulating moisture from the air into the container.

If you planned on a $10 budget get 9 for $10 depending on your tax rate😃. Really set’em up!
Zhairdzinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

It is simply Calcium Chloride, the main ingredient in Damp Rid (flat crystals) or Driveway ice melter (pellets). It liquifies after it becomes saturated with moisture, actually eventually dissolves in the water it absorbs. Be very careful with the liquid, it is a very corrosive brine. Those containers are useful because they allow the calcium chloride crystals to remain above the liquid as they dissolve.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #47
Blessed old folks

Moisture Absorber

Thank you for that information. Yes we have always been careful. Yucky water of any kind sitting is not what I want to disturb and get All over. Grateful to dry out the air in areas that are difficult.
Zhairdzinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Interesting. I tried to find out more about that method but couldn't find anything. There are mentions of charcoal mixed into desiccants for odor control, but nothing about amount of actual moisture absorption. It just sort of reminds me of "sleep with garlic all around your bed, and you'll never have a problem with vampires. I do it and haven't had a vampire problem yet!" But if it's working for ya...do you burn the charcoal in the summer?
Yep I use it on our first camping trip, once I get a bed of hot coals from the wood I add it to the coals and cook over the fire.
justcruisin58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter