Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

Winterization - moisture absorption products

Hi All!

I’m curious to learn if any of you use “moisture absorbing” products such as Damprid, No Damp, etc., during winter storage? I am aware of the many variables that are involved here, but I’m just wondering how many people consider this to be part of the winterization process?

Thanks and peace,

Mick
mrogers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

Do you have power in your storage area?

If so consider a dehumidifier. I have power at my TT and when damp I use one of these:

This one is a Whirlpool I bought several years ago from Lowes for just over $100. The condensate collector "bucket" has a fitting that one can attach a hose to for continuous draining. I set mine up on a milk crate and run the hose into the shower and leave the gray water valve open. Drips totally clear water. No stream, just drips.

Can be set for any level of "dryness" you want. Just close all windows and vents for a nice dry RV.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

I have a GE comparable to Mike's Whirlpool and do basically the same about running the drain hose to the shower. We also have power to the RV all the time.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

I have two of these West Marine dehumidifiers, one on the front kitchen floor and another in the rear bed/bath area. Probably don’t need two but I already had them on hand from other uses. I saw a Camco branded unit on Amazon at about $10 less than this link. As mentioned above, you will need power to run these.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIDBAx&adurl=
Old 11-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

We use damp rid. One on the kitchen island, one in the bedroom, and one by each storage door. Have been doing so for 7 years. So far every spring the only ones with a little moisture are the ones by the storage doors. Still put them in just to be sure.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

my wife has always stuffed paper into the refrigerator to keep the mold out when in storage. just bought a box of one of the products and put it in the refrigerator. we'll see how it works. i may put another one in the bedroom areas. my wife is concerned about mold there also.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

I put about six "damp rid" type dessicant containers throughout the camper and in the outdoor storage areas. The dollar stores always have them this time of year and I stock up whenever I see them.

A note, though - had one type that you needed to dump the dessicant crystals into. I spilled a few in the "stainless" sink and though nothing of it. It took alot of scouring to remove the oxidation (rust) stains each crystal left when I found it in the spring.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

We use Damp Rid any time it is stored.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

We use several damprid containers. We also buy the desiccant in bulk instead of buying the pre-filled containers. Once a month we check to see if any of them need more desiccant. No problems with moisture build up even though here in southern new england we had big swings in temperatures that can cause moisture problems.

Also keep the doors open on closets. Especially those that are along the exterior walls of the RV. Low nighttime temperatures can be well below freezing and then when the sun hits the exterior walls during the day the temp in the closets goes up so fast you can see water running down the wall. Keeping the doors open allows for more modulation of the temps and the reduces condensation.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
3boxerss

I put one damp rid container from the dollar tree in each sink and the tub.. That way if they overflow no mess..

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
We use several damprid containers. We also buy the desiccant in bulk instead of buying the pre-filled containers.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1. I have a 30 pint dehumidifier I use as needed until temps in the trailer get down to 40F or lower, at which point it is no good. It takes a long time for the condensate bucket to fill up in a small trailer, rarely have to empty it.

I bought these EVA dry reusable things, complete waste of money. Here is my review of that junk: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-180994.html
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Ummmm....how much humidity do you have in WI in the winter ? Nebraska winters, you have to run a "Humidifier" to keep your house from getting to the 20-30% range in humidity. I've never needed a dehumidifier in my TT's ever and they are stored with covers on.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

At least in NJ, here in my Valley humidity gets up there in unheated areas. Sometimes you have dry cold days, others it's damp, especially if it rains instead of snow. I keep mine covered. Monitor conditions via a remote humidity/temp sensor. Generally stays in the mid-fifties percentage. You don't want higher than that, even if cold, because metals can start to corrode. Humidity picks up towards Spring with snow melt, more rain than snow.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

Damprid

I have used for years. Prevents the moldy smell when I pull it out in the spring. Wal-Mart sells the refill material in a 4lb container. After a couple of months, the containers are 1/2 full of water. I dump them and refill. I used mothballs once, DW said no more.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
Can you run 3800 fps?

X 2 on the Damprid, never fill them up, but always get some moisture.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #16

Tired of emptying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Do you have power in your storage area?

If so consider a dehumidifier. I have power at my TT and when damp I use one of these:

This one is a Whirlpool I bought several years ago from Lowes for just over $100. The condensate collector "bucket" has a fitting that one can attach a hose to for continuous draining. I set mine up on a milk crate and run the hose into the shower and leave the gray water valve open. Drips totally clear water. No stream, just drips.

Can be set for any level of "dryness" you want. Just close all windows and vents for a nice dry RV.
We got tired of emptying/changing damprid every time we went to the trailer, only if it had been a couple of weeks. We couldn't tell how long they had been exhausted either--how long the moisture we found had been present. It's a 38-foot destination trailer so it took a lot of bags spread around.

I got two 30 pint dehumidifiers (they usually last forever) on Craigslist for $20 each and put each in the shower of one of the trailers, with the "bucket detector switch" wedged on.

DW bought me one of those indoor.outdoor temperature/relative humidity/barometric pressure gadgets for the big trailer. It's had this and the dehumidifier for a couple of years and I have NEVER seen the inside RH higher than the outside RH.

Last month, the dehumidifier in the small trailer failed. It turns out that it didn't have the safety switch which many have that prevents running when it gets too cold. There were no reasonably-priced 30-pint units on Craigslist, so I had to get a 45-pint unit, also $20. It's overkill for a 22-foot trailer but it's working fine. It's a premium unit so I expect it has the safety switch.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #17

Damp Rid in the trailer whenever it's parked at the storage facility.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #18

With long periods of below freezing temps I would be very worried if I had a dehumidifier creating water runoff. Even if it drips into a sink or shower. It only takes one cold night to refreeze and damage traps.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's why I shut 'er down when it gets cold. Use the desiccants like Damp Rid.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #20

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
With long periods of below freezing temps I would be very worried if I had a dehumidifier creating water runoff. Even if it drips into a sink or shower. It only takes one cold night to refreeze and damage traps.
Good point but it hasn't happened so far. Antifreeze is in the trap--I run it through the shower--and either the water doesn't dilute it much or it somehow bypasses. Or maybe the open tops of the trap allow enough expansion.

I did learn to keep the gray tank valve open (sewer hose to the tote) because the lowest point in the system is the drain valve and ABS pipe going to it. I had to replace two segments of ABS pipe and associated fittings after the first winter.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter