Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Wireless backup camera system using smart phone and tablet

Not sure I have posted in the right spot.
I have been thinking it would be nice to have a back up camera for some time but did not want to spend the bucks. Then I was thinking that I have a smart phone (android) with bluetooth and I have a tablet with bluetooth (also android). Guess what there is an App that control a camera with your bluetooth device. So download the App, Camera Remote by busywww, to both the smart phone and table. It worked. I can walk around with the smart phone and watch on the tablet.
The set up was easy. After down loading the App. it was just a matter of turning on the bluetooth and the linking the 2 devices together then set the smartphone to camera and the tablet to remote mode then hit video and you should have the smartphone picture on the tablet. The video is a slow updating about a 1 second frame rate. Now if it ever warms up outside I with try it out on the trailer I think the DW can hold the camera and I can back up.
Hope this help someone.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #2

If you use it for backing, make sure your left is actually left and your right is actually right....ask me how I know
When I setup my wireless camera the first time I used it I could not figure out why the cars I was seeing in my passenger mirror were actually on the drivers side. I had the orientation backwards on the camera...turns out that makes a difference
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

Also the iPhone FaceTime mode works rather well. Nothing like a dedicated rear view camera, however.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Facetime though doesn't work over bluetooth. I'd like to find something like this to help when doing solo hookups. I hate having to run back and check my approach every few inches.

I've tried a few free apps so far, but none of them have worked and I'm reluctant to spend money on an app (Even $0.99) unless somebody can say it's actually going to work.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
If you use it for backing, make sure your left is actually left and your right is actually right....ask me how I know
When I setup my wireless camera the first time I used it I could not figure out why the cars I was seeing in my passenger mirror were actually on the drivers side. I had the orientation backwards on the camera...turns out that makes a difference

What camera system are you using Helmsey. I've been researching and talking with some electronic folks. Most everything I've found makes me leary of the wireless because the distance from the back of a 40' FW to the truck (not to mention all the metal between) makes for poor quality. Sorry, not trying to hijack this post. Feel free to PM me if you would like.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wireless backup camera system using smart phone and tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Facetime though doesn't work over bluetooth. I'd like to find something like this to help when doing solo hookups. I hate having to run back and check my approach every few inches.

I've tried a few free apps so far, but none of them have worked and I'm reluctant to spend money on an app (Even $0.99) unless somebody can say it's actually going to work.

Ok, I'm dragging up this old thread because I might have finally found an iWhatever friendly alternative. At least the combo works well in the house so far. At some point I'll try it out on the rig.

There's an app out there called "Mini Webcam" (it's free btw). This app doesn't use bluetooth, but it runs over a local wifi. After installing the app on both my phone and my pad, I then sync'd both to a spare Airport Express I had sitting around.

The video lag rate seems pretty good. I was able to prop my phone up facing a computer screen, then type fairly fluently while watching through the ipad.

The best part is that it was all local. The router wasn't actually hooked up to anything, it was just creating a wifi and this approach still worked.

If it survives the outdoors test, then I could plug the airport into the truck's inverter, strap the phone to the back bumper, and watch from the ipad to line up ball and hitch.

I'll let you all know how it goes later.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Happy Campers

Wireless Camera System

I bought a wireless backup camera and a mirror mounted monitor off of Amazon. Will wire up this spring whenever the weather breaks. Cost for setup $56.00 including shipping.

Camera is rated at 160ft. I have a longbed crew cab pickup and a Microlite 21ft trailer which is fiberglass/aluminum. Signal should be strong enough.

I plan on wiring camera up and trying on rear of truck, and then rear of trailer.

Monitor allows for two video inputs. If the camera works out okay on trailer, i will purchase another for the back of the truck.

Trailer cam would be fulltime while running lights are on, and the truck cam on only when backing up.
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

I've been looking for a wireless system myself and stumbled across this "completely Chinese" site. While I hesitate to consider ordering from it because of that, heck most of the stuff we buy off the shelf at a U.S. business comes from there too. Anyway, check out this site. They have tons of camera systems. I haven't ordered from them yet.

Shop wireless backup camera online - Buy wireless backup camera for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Happy Campers

Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for sharing and the link.

I bought thru Amazon for the same reason we would hesitate to purchase direct from a Chinese company. At least thru Amazon I have some recourse.

Hope it works!
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Wireless Rear View Camera System

I tried various permutations of apps, el cheapo cameras and having the DW sitting on the rear bumper with her iPhone, I finally bit the bullet and got a proper "rear view" wireless system. Wired the camera to the center clearance light on the back of the Cedar Creek 38FL and it paired automatically with the display in the cab of our 2013 RAM 3500 Dually - not a small distance. The picture is solid and allows me to change lanes without a lot of guesswork. It also has audio so you can hear the DW as you back into your space.

The "Voyager Digital Wireless Camera System" is available thru a wide variety of sources at a broad spread of price points. Bought ours on sale at Camping World....

The system is a bit pricey but I think it's well worth it.
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
I tried various permutations of apps, el cheapo cameras and having the DW sitting on the rear bumper with her iPhone, I finally bit the bullet and got a proper "rear view" wireless system. Wired the camera to the center clearance light on the back of the Cedar Creek 38FL and it paired automatically with the display in the cab of our 2013 RAM 3500 Dually - not a small distance. The picture is solid and allows me to change lanes without a lot of guesswork. It also has audio so you can hear the DW as you back into your space.

The "Voyager Digital Wireless Camera System" is available thru a wide variety of sources at a broad spread of price points. Bought ours on sale at Camping World....

The system is a bit pricey but I think it's well worth it.

Nice system for sure..... but ouch the price hurts for sure. For $500, I'll just keep making, correction "asking", my wife to get out and stand at the back of the FW when I'm backing up.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Brand name please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Suni View Post
I bought a wireless backup camera and a mirror mounted monitor off of Amazon. Will wire up this spring whenever the weather breaks. Cost for setup $56.00 including shipping.

Camera is rated at 160ft. I have a longbed crew cab pickup and a Microlite 21ft trailer which is fiberglass/aluminum. Signal should be strong enough.

I plan on wiring camera up and trying on rear of truck, and then rear of trailer.

Monitor allows for two video inputs. If the camera works out okay on trailer, i will purchase another for the back of the truck.

Trailer cam would be fulltime while running lights are on, and the truck cam on only when backing up.
What brand did you purchase??
Toddcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
Forest River Accessories

Not sure if this helps at all, but our Voyager Digital Wireless Camera System in the 5 inch model is currently on clearance for $400 with $9.99 flat shipping.
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't spend money on a wireless unit. I'm going to layout any cash, I might as well spend it on the installing the 12 year old aftermarket head unit with backup camera I've got laying around in a couple of boxes of old tuner stuff.

Most of the time I've got the DW with me to help guide me back. The app I referenced before was for those 2-3 times a year I need to run to the storage yard and pick up the trailer by myself. An easy alternative all with parts on hand.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAcessories View Post
Not sure if this helps at all, but our Voyager Digital Wireless Camera System in the 5 inch model is currently on clearance for $400 with $9.99 flat shipping.
what's the range for the wireless?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Forest River Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
what's the range for the wireless?
60ft+, here is a link (Digital Wireless Observation System featuring WiSight Technology) where you can read all about the kit and the differences between it and other wireless systems. Retail on this system is $849.99
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #17

When I get the time to finish working on mine it will be quite a bit cheaper. I use a wireless IP security cam and a wireless router.

The security cam has a local IP but the interface on the camera will not connect to web browser on the tablet or phone. You have to use a wireless router to link the two together (three if you count the wireless router).
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #18

You could just grab a Brookstone rover used from eBay. They create their own wireless network you can join with your phone or ipad.
Plus then you could drive it around to change your viewing angle! LOL!
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #19

On a similar note, if you do have a "backup buddy" behind you that has a smartphone also... Using skype or FaceTime and having them point it at the hitch would do wonders I suppose. Note: this is in theory, I haven't tried it myself, still waiting on my new TT to be delivered.
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourguide View Post
On a similar note, if you do have a "backup buddy" behind you that has a smartphone also... Using skype or FaceTime and having them point it at the hitch would do wonders I suppose. Note: this is in theory, I haven't tried it myself, still waiting on my new TT to be delivered.

The times I have a 'backup buddy' I don't need a camera. DW guides me in pretty well.

I needed a solution for those times I run to the storage yard solo to bring the TT back home to pack. That's why I went looking for the solution I referenced in Post #6 above.