Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
It's a sad day..... Took the 5er to Camping World to have a new antenna installed and I was told I had major damage on the roof where the Woodpecker pecked holes up to a size of a dime. The whole roof needs to be replaced!!! This is on a trailer that is only 7 months old. Thank goodness for insurance, but I still have a $1000 deductible. The estimate to repair is around $5K. (includes 30 hours labor). I'm going to drive down to CW tomorrow and access the damage and call the claim along with the service department. I'm putting all woodpeckers on notice right now. I have a shotgun and you are not welcome here anymore!!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Think I would break out a roll of EternaBond and a can of acetone instead.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #23

The mylar strips people suggest work well. We use them on our trampoline to reduce Poo.

Amazon.com: Bird-X TAPE-25 Irri-Tape Bird Repellent Ribbon: Patio, Lawn & Garden
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #24

Any other dealers close to get another estimate????? or opinion

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Think I would break out a roll of EternaBond and a can of acetone instead.
Hmmm. I would never have thought of that! Then again, your Mark Twain post might apply directly to me!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I'm going to look at it tomorrow, but American RV in Grand Rapids, MI has an outstanding service department and would never try to oversell a customer with something you don't need. They said the roof was pretty much ruined. They've sealed it for the time being so it won't leak. There's no sense in checking other RV dealers. I'm still going to have to pay the deductible either way and I really trust American RV. The mylar strips have chased the woodpecker away and we'll continue to use them, that's unless I decide to go bird hunting!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I'm going to look at it tomorrow, but American RV in Grand Rapids, MI has an outstanding service department and would never try to oversell a customer with something you don't need. They said the roof was pretty much ruined. They've sealed it for the time being so it won't leak. There's no sense in checking other RV dealers. I'm still going to have to pay the deductible either way and I really trust American RV. The mylar strips have chased the woodpecker away and we'll continue to use them, that's unless I decide to go bird hunting!!
Pileated woodpeckers are rare and the king of the forest. I do feel your pain and frustration but they are a very majestic bird and they do control insect populations. They are only looking for food and a suet cake like I suggested in an earlier post would solve your problems.
Please try to avoid killing them as they are a PROTECTED SPECIES:

The Pileated Woodpecker occupies a large range and is quite adaptable. Its ability to survive in many wooded habitat types has allowed the species to survive human habitation of North America much better than the more specialized Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Pileated Woodpeckers have a large population size and, despite being non-migratory, are protected under the U.S. Migratory Bird Act. Due to the considerable damage that Pileated Woodpeckers can do to trees, some people may consider them harmful if found on their property, but the large birds control many insect populations, especially tree beetles, that may otherwise experience outbreaks.
Pileated Woodpecker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you,
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Must be related too the Cardinal that pecks on our Rearview Mirrors if we pull the vehicles outside. They also like (Shiny) parts,bumper,grill,and trim rings! They peck long enough to leave (Blood) on the area where they Peck! Youroo!!
Cardinals are very territorial, so if a male sees his reflection, he thinks it's his competition and tries to fight him off. Could be the same case for woodpeckers.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #29

Now you know how the NASA engineers (train drivers??) felt when woodpeckers began pecking on the orange fuel tank for the shuttle. Not too happy but it was just a one time use item.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer