Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

12 volt lighting not working

My 1999 Rockwood Premier 2308 is having 12v issues.

The lights only work when the a/c is plugged in. The battery has 12 volts and all the fuses are good. I've even pulled the lighting fuse while connected to a/c and no lights just like they should. The wiring seems to be ok.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have the problem. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
blvdst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Check underneath where all the wires come off the battery. No guarantee due to the units age but mine did this and there is a small, like 1/2" x 1" box looking thing that the battery wire will go into. It has a very small black button this can be pushed in to reset this little breaker.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdst View Post

The lights only work when the a/c is plugged in. The battery has 12 volts and all the fuses are good. I've even pulled the lighting fuse while connected to a/c and no lights just like they should. The wiring seems to be ok.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have the problem. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
What are you calling the lighting fuse?

Do you have a battery disconnect that is turned off? Also look at your converter for two 40 amp fuses side by side labeled reverse polarity.

look for a resettable fuse on the tongue near the battery. It will have a small rest button on it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Check the plunger switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdst View Post

I would look for the eight gauge or larger wire coming from the battery to the 120V converter/12V section and see if there is 12V battery voltage there. Sometimes the converter will switch out the battery connection from the battery so 12V devices only run on converter power when plugged into shore power. If there is 12V from the battery lead going into the converter/circuit breaker section, yet not getting to the 12v fuse section, likely the converter internal relay is not working or failed if it uses one. If there is no 12V power from the battery lead going into the converter/circuit breaker section, then there could be a broken wire or blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker between the battery and converter.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

For what it's worth...and it does not seem to apply to your situation...it can be difficult to determine if a spade fuse is blown. The best way I've found is to pull each fuse and hold a flashlight behind it and view the status of the fuse. I helped another camper once who was absolutely convinced that he had checked all his fuses (without the flashlight technique). He had actually pulled and viewed them, but he missed a blown 15 amp fuse. When I found it and replaced it, everything worked as it should.

Your problem is likely to be, as others have said, between the battery and the converter. Either the main battery breaker/fuse (mine is a fuse in a tin - now plastic - box) or something on the 12 volt input side of the converter or fuse panel.

But a test of that hypothesis is - do other 12 volt items work? Those would be the water pump, furnace, lift winch (if you have such a thing), exhaust fan, and so on. If anything else is running on 12 volts WITHOUT shore power, your problem is elsewhere. I'd go back to the main fuse panel and pull/check every fuse.

Cruddy battery connections could also prevent some circuits from working as they should. Sometimes a high-current-draw item like a lift winch will get power while small items are not drawing enough current to punch thru the crud. That's hardly a scientific explanation, and it's a very case-specific, freakish experience, but it can happen.

Be sure your battery box, terminals, wires, and crimp on connectors are all clean. Each camper is a bit different, and there is often more than one circuit connected to the battery. An individual crimp on connector can be all crusty inside the crimp while the rest of the wiring and connectors are clean as a whistle. Try soaking the wire ends in a coffee cup with a strong solution of baking soda and water. If you put a Crimp connector into the solution and it bubbles like crazy, take a closer look and consider trimming back the wire and adding a new crimp connector.

I don't think the plunger switch would be the culprit. Why? Mine disintegrated and it failed in the "on" position...which makes sense. There is no plunger left to turn off the circuit, but what remains of the switch is closed and passing current. I must be doubly careful to be sure the furnace and lights are off or risk a fire. Now, if your plunger is stuck, nothing should work whether on shore power or battery. The plunger switch doesn't know one from the other. It just wants to be sure your furnace can't start when the roof is lowered.

That's a lot of guesswork and speculation. Good luck finding the cause.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

The plunger switch only affects circuits going to the roof - overhead lighting and the vent fan (if you have one). If the plunger switch is the point of failure, 12V stuff not on the roof should work - water pump, heater, porch and tongue lights, stereo, etc. That is one way to know if the plunger switch is the problem.

Fred W
2 Pop-ups, 2 A-frames over the years
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, light