Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

1940 Ltd stove replacement

Would appreciate any suggestions on a replacement stove for my portable 2 burner Suburban on my Rockwood 1940 Ltd popup! It is not efficient (fixed it twice). Don't really need to hang on rail as I have table. Quick-connect would be great! Thank you!
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #2

We have the fixed 2 burner inside our A-frame, but have never used the inside stove except to light it to test propane is flowing.

We cook outside, using a 2 burner propane stove (not Coleman), and a Weber BabyQ 1200 (augmented by the microwave when we have shore power). I got tired of a succession of worthless Coleman camp stoves during our 1999 drive/camping trip from Kodiak, AK to San Francisco, CA. Somewhere in BC I picked up a Canadian-made similar stove that used a rubber hose for propane instead of the always leaking metal pipes Coleman used. As a bonus, the Canadian version works fine at all altitudes - the Coleman was iffy above 5K. Still using that Canadian stove 23 years later! DW is not impressed because she can't tell whether it is on or not at low flame settings.

We invested in the Weber BabyQ after reading reviews here in about the 2015-2016 time frame. Without a doubt it is the best propane minigrill I have ever used. Cooks very evenly, reasonably easy to clean, disposable grease trap, and can dial any desired temp. DW was disgusted with the price, but switched over to the bigger BabyQs for our home deck after we got tired of the crappy large grills. The BabyQ 1200 and folding stand fits nicely in the front trunk, along with the camp stove (and folding chairs).

We use the 1lb throwaway bottles for both the BabyQ and the stove. A bottle will typically last 2-3 days cooking. As a result, I only use 1 20lb tank a year on the tongue for both heat and fridge.

We have 2 "prep tables" that fit on the rail - small folding tables where we put coffee pot and toaster (if we have shore power) or tea kettle (dry camping). 1 prep table came with the camper along with the RVQ (which we gave away).

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
last trip: Charleston SC
next trip: Charlotte NC
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

Stove

Weber males a nice charcoal grill (Smoky)that I use. I also do not cook indoors. Will search for Weber burner! My LP usage is similar to yours, the little refrigerator works well with gas! Thank you!
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #4

Somewhat related, but I sure wish the gas valves for the cooktops were better quality/more finely adjustable. Burners on the outside stove goes from "FULL ON" to "OMG I MIGHT BE DYING" with precious little adjustment in between. Inside burners are similar, but we do most of our stovetop cooking outside (if we can manage it).
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #5

Weber BabyQ series was stocked at Home Depot. We bought a couple used that were new in box off Craig's List (Denver area) to reduce the price. Also bought stands used that were new in box.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement