Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #41

09-13-2009

Fits like a glove

I had to cut the bottom of the paneling out completely, as the fridge sits on the floor. The original icebox was flanged, and had a 3/4" lip on the lower opening. Width increased by about 1" as well.

I borrowed a saw from my dad (a gift I had given him in the past). Great tool for precise cuts to the paneling. Between the two of us, we weren't quite sure what good this saw was, but now that I've used it it may become a favorite saw.

92_Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #42

09-13-2009

As usual, my little helper was also busy. []

Old 09-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #43

09-13-2009

I used lots of masking tape to protect the exterior surface, then attacked the outside lower area to cut the vent opening. Started with a jig saw, but quickly noticed that a sawzall would be a better option. Not perfect but it worked. My helper was on the inside of the trailer making sure I didn't cut any wires or the conduit tie bar. All went well.

I haven't connected the fridge yet, or done the baffles, but the exterior vents are in place and temporarily screwed in. Looks okay.

Here you can see the vertical plywood wall I added on the rearward side of the fridge. I need to add the insulation, reflectix and venting and clean all this up, but it fits.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #44

09-13-2009

The top of the cabinet an the sink are just resting there.

The door just clears the wooden support that the folding sink rests on when traveling. Fridge is a perfect fit fir the trailer.

That's it for today... hopefully this week I can get it wired up and finish that propane tee connection.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #45

09-15-2009

I need to complete the sink plumbing before I finalize the fridge installation. I won't be able to access the plumbing very easy later on. My sink has a faucet like this:

I believe it must be 3-way version, as I have a city water connection, and a holding tank. The faucet appears to also have a wire loop on it.

Does anyone have an installation instruction booklet for this unit? None of the supply hoses were connected to the faucet when I got it although they were there, just disconnected.. Just curious what is the best (proper) way to hook it up.

I'm assuming the sink drain goes straight out without a P-trap, otherwise I'd get wet when I flipped it over from the residual water in the trap.

If this is in fact a 3-way faucet, what type of electric water pump am I looking for? I suspect that loop of wire is just hooked up to a switch? cut the wire, and splice in series? Ground side of the circuit?

Thanks for advice in advance.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #46

09-16-2009

I'll be very happy to get my hand one some instructions for this faucet. It has three inlets, and that white wire loop. I've looked every where online, and came up empty. I'll probably just guess at the connections until it works.

If anyone has them, please email me at: glastron @ live . ca

SHURflo probably made this faucet (Model 131-?) but they have every manual online except for this older faucet.

After a second look, it appears to have its own built-in version of a P-trap (sort of). I'll just hook the drain up straight to that fitting.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #47

09-19-2009

Had a busy week, so I accomplished very little until today. Started today by installing the tee-fitting in the LP line, and ran new lines to the fridge and stove. I ended up putting the tee in the center, knowing that this could make the fridge harder to start. Fridge still lights well, which I have since tested.

I need to purchase a couple of grommets, but otherwise the LP lines are complete. Tested all connections with liquid soap and water. All is well.

While I was at it, I cleaned the stove up. Looks okay.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #48

09-19-2009

Next step was to mount a surface outlet, allowing for the 120V fridge connection. I simply cut into the existing line, and wired the outlet in series.

Next step was to make the lower baffle plate. I cut aluminum flashing running straight in towards the fridge, then up, and out to the lower side of the upper vent opening. Turned out well.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #49

09-19-2009

I screwed the outer edge to the existing vent opening, both upper and lower.

It sits about 1/4" or so away from the fridge coils, and should work well.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #50

09-19-2009

I added reflectix material on both sides, and filled in the gaps with adhesive aluminum foil to seal it all up. The conduit you see is the lifting rod for the roof.

I also cut a sheet of aluminum to cover up the damaged floor covering and clean it up a bit.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #51

09-19-2009

There is a lot of room to access the necessary switches and flame ignition. Should be no problem for routine maintenance later.

Next on the agenda was to focus on the upper vent.

I insulated on both sides of the fridge with standard fiberglass batten, and then added a layer of reflectix on the top and taped the joints.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #52

09-19-2009

Old 09-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #53

09-19-2009

I used reflectix on the sides in this upper vent area as well.

With the exception of a 12V supply line, the fridge install is done. Its running on propane now, and cooled to 46°F now after a couple of hours.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #54

I'm really happy with how it looks, and works.

Luckily, I was able to remove that little drain screw without any problem. Cleaned out the drain accordingly, and re-assembled.

I attached the city water to the center connection, and the potable water for hand pump to the open connection. I left the plugged connection as-is. Had to buy a new drain line, which sounds simple but is not easy to find. I tried the hardware store black rubber version but it kinked too easily and proved useless. I ended up buying a ribbed drain line from the RV dealer. Not cheap, but works great.

I haven't hooked up a 12V water pump yet, but might next year. I'd probably go with a different faucet if I installed a pump. If I had city water pressure or pump pressure, I'd prefer a tradition faucet handle without a hand pump where you just open it to turn the water on.

When I flip my sink over for travel, it drools out the faucet spigot. Is it normal to have a water shut-off at the sink to prevent it from siphoning out the potable water storage tank? The water level in the full tank may be above the faucet spigot if it was full. Either way, mine runs out to the floor.

I have an extra water shutoff valve for the 3/8 tubing. Wasn't sure where it belonged. Now I think I know where it went...lol

Good news...the fridge running for 12 hours on propane (overnight) is down to 24°F ! It appears the air flow circuit helps.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #55

just did what seemed to be the correct way to install it. That fridge gets really hot in the back, and I didn't want the excess heat to seep into the camper through crevices. This time of year it might be nice to have extra heat, but in the summer months (camping season) I suffer in the humidity as it is. Added bonus it that any CO2 or propane issues should vent out to atmosphere well. I suppose a LPG and/or CO2 detector would be a wise investment.

The upper vent (running on propane anyways) gets noticeably hotter than the lower intake vent. That a good sign there must be air circulation. I'll probably toss that thermometer in the upper vent area next year just for curiosity. I need to install screens behind the vents in the spring.

May or may not get camping again this season. Busy, busy, busy at work with lots of travel. Most campgrounds around here have closed, or will be closing shortly for the season.

Added a pic of the venting just for clarity. Center baffle extends 8" inward from outer skin, and is 6 inches high. Upper baffle is only slight tilted upwards as the fridge height is almost as high as the pup. Only had enough room for one small layer of reflectix between the top of the fridge and the counter-top. Even then, it was compressed.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #56

WOW !!!

That's one heck of a project. You did a great job.

To answer your first question, this is in the first paragraph, on the home page.

Welcome to Forest River Forums
We are in no way connected to Forest River Inc. We are a group that enjoys camping and sharing our experiences with each other. Please feel free to join as we are a free site and even if you don't have a Forest River product we don't care come on in and join the fun.

Have fun with your refurbished camper.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #57

Thanks for the clarification and kind words milzat.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #58

I restore cars as a hobby, and I have to say you did a FANTASTIC job on that Flagstaff pop up!! I too love modifying things to make them better than when new. Outstanding work, and you have found a great website! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #59

Thanks Randy. Appreciate the kudos.

I actually enjoy working on old things to resurrect them for further use. My other hobby is repairing older outboard motors, and tinkering with anything mechanical. Simple things like spending time making a large old rusty automotive battery charger look like new again, rather than replacing it with a new one. $1 spent at a garage sale instead of spending hard earned cash on a new one. My Coleman stove is another example... some time cleaning it up and repainting it will extend its useful life, I hope. Some may see it as a waste of time, but I enjoy it and figure its time well spent. My newest project acquired this weekend in trade, is an old two wheeler..

Sadly, I think my camper may be tucked away in the garage for the season. Between traveling with work, other commitments, and declining weather trends... I'm not sure I can squeeze it in. We'll see.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #60

I was lucky today and found a local ad listing 4 BAL stabilizers with the leveler pads. This trailer only has two factory stabilizers in the rear, and relies on the tongue jack to support the front. We had issues with our frame flexing and allowing the locked door to swing open when we are in bed for the night.

I was able to get a set of (4) 17" stabilizers for only $25. He also included the 14" crank handle.

These are dusty, but not rusty. They are not that old, and were removed from a late 90's era Rockwood pup in favor of scissor jacks.

Tags
flagstaff, tent camper