Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 12:32 AM   #1

1993 Flagstaff gear replacement?

#DrP

Manual crank goes clunk and wont raise lid. I think the gears are worn or slipping. Thoughts on how to remove/replace?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9348.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	274127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9347.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	274128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9345.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	274129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9346.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	274130  
CampFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
DrP

Doesn't look like they are worn. That smaller gear is part of the clutch assembly. It's the part that turns when you turn the crank. When I was working on mine, I noticed that if I cranked it too far "down" (continued turning the crank counter clockwise past when I should have) the clutch assembly unscrewed and moved out of alignment with that larger sprocket. That might be what's happening here, the teeth might be close to touching but when any force is applied, they slip off to the side.
Check out all the links on this page:
See if anything there is useful.
Do you have someone who can crank it while you watch that assembly to see what's happening? The little sprocket should turn the larger one, which then turns the front chain assembly and the metal drive shaft that goes to the rear of the camper.
DrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

Sprocket issues

New to the forum. I have a 1993 Rockwood 2360 that I bought last summer. After a lot of elbow greasing cleaning and a general once over, I ended up rebuilding all four side boards of the roof. Last use of the season last fall I had trouble getting the roof to raise. Upon inspection I found the sprocket on the crank handle that engages the larger 3 plate gear is badly chewed up and skips when it cranks and the roof, drops down and raises and falls. I have the roof braced, tension off the system. I removed the snap ring on the square handle nut and spun that off. I am having trouble getting to the second snap ring that is by the first bearing and the pawl. I need to access that snap ring to remove the shaft and replace. What am I missing? Seems simple enough.
cabinpopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFamily View Post
#DrP

Manual crank goes clunk and wont raise lid. I think the gears are worn or slipping. Thoughts on how to remove/replace?

Thank you!
I have the same issue with mine. I am having trouble accessing the inner snap ring to remove the shaft and sprocket. Once removed I’ll have a new sprocket made of the shaft and weld it on. The new versions have two sprockets on the shaft to make it extra wide and fully engage with the teeth of the larger one.
cabinpopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:12 PM   #5
DrP

I have never "gone in" that far on mine. Are you accessing it from the front crank door or have you pulled the cabinets out on the inside? Access to every part of this style of lift system is brutal. I want to oil the rear chain assembly but I think I'd have to pull my fridge to do it.......

QUOTE=cabinpopup;2749245]New to the forum. I have a 1993
Rockwood 2360 that I bought last summer. After a lot of elbow greasing cleaning and a general once over, I ended up rebuilding all four side boards of the roof. Last use of the season last fall I had trouble getting the roof to raise. Upon inspection I found the sprocket on the crank handle that engages the larger 3 plate gear is badly chewed up and skips when it cranks and the roof, drops down and raises and falls. I have the roof braced, tension off the system. I removed the snap ring on the square handle nut and spun that off. I am having trouble getting to the second snap ring that is by the first bearing and the pawl. I need to access that snap ring to remove the shaft and replace. What am I missing? Seems simple enough.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinpopup View Post
I have the same issue with mine. I am having trouble accessing the inner snap ring to remove the shaft and sprocket. Once removed I’ll have a new sprocket made of the shaft and weld it on. The new versions have two sprockets on the shaft to make it extra wide and fully engage with the teeth of the larger one.
This is where we have stopped as well. Unsure of how to get the sprocket off the shaft. From some of the links that Dr.P gave me on the Hanna RV website, the schematics make it seem like it may be a single unit welded together. See attached photo. Item number 9 in the photo. Next step is to see if the part is even available somewhere. Let me know if you have any success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220615-084303_Drive.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	274936  
CampFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
DrP

Hmmm...... That actually seems familiar, I almost feel like I can remember the weld. I looked back through my photos though and I don't have a clear shot of that part. You may need to take the tension off the chain and break the master link, as well as disconnect the drive shaft for the rear of the system. Then you can pull that side of the spring tube and have full access to the front gear/ sprocket assembly. Good luck, that seems like a hect of a lot. At least you be able to fully service and restore the chain and springs and stuff.

Tags
flagstaff, replacement