Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

2 elect. issues, no 12v in camper,20 amp fuse at batt. blows

Good day all, new member here. I have two Forest River campers. One Rockwood Freedom 2280 PUP and Silverback 5er. Love them both. I use the PUP for hunting, road into camp is too rough for the 5er.
I bought the PUP used and I have two electrical problems:
1) I had no 12 vdc in the unit, fixed it, the wire to the safety switch in the galley was off. Took the PUP to the hunting camp and now no 12 vdc in the PUP. The powerdrive to raise the top works fine. I checked the switch again and now no vdc at all?
2) When I hook up shore power the 20 amp fuse at the battery blows. Everything in the PUP works fine, just no batt. charging.
Hope someone out there can help me.
Thank you in advance.
otdrnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Did you check for a positive wire shorting to ground? Disconnect the positive wire from the battery and check it to ground.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

Thanks mud yapster. I will check it out when I get back to camp.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

The power winch is usually two separate wires from the winch to the battery. One for negative and one to positive with a circuit breaker attached right where the cable connects to the battery. This explains why the winch will work but DC to the inside might not work.

Does the fuse blow immediately upon connecting it to the battery? If so, you have a dead short somewhere in that circuit, if it takes a few minutes to blow, after the top is raised and some appliances are running, then I would CHECK to make sure that 20 amp may need to be a 30 amp. I know on mine, it came with a 30 amp fuse.

If the fuse blows while you are raising the roof, check for a short somewhere that the wire is affected from the raising of the roof; possibly in the ceiling and the wires going to the ceiling lights, fans, etc.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

f5moab, thank you. The fuse only blows when I hook up the shore power, therefore the battery does not get charge voltage. As I mentioned, all other systems work properly with shore power.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #6

Sorry misread. Only thing I can think is the converter is sending too much charge current. Since the battery through the same circuit supplies power with no problem I can't see a short. A short should blow the fuse regardless.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the feedback. I found the problem. The black fused wire was going to negitive on the battery. Is supposed to go to positive. It does now. It strange because that wire was routed in the bundle, to go to the negitive terminal. I had to cut the bundle apart to get the wire to reach. Like it was built that way. The previous owners always used shore power and never paid attention the batt was not charging.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tags
camper, fuse