Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #1

Smile 2002 Flagstaff

Does a Flagstaff 2002 pop up have electrical brakes already installed? I read that Flagstaff began to install electric brakes only in 2010.

If not is there a way to install brakes? I suppose I have to replace the axle?
A friend of mine just bought one and he has been told that the electric brakes have to be replaced...
The guy who sold it told him there was no brakes on it????
And my friend is too far for me to check by myself, I owned a 2012 Rockwood and I use to make the maintenance myself.

Thank you

Note that this is a model 176
1904Camper2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Without knowing which model number it is, hard to say.
The smaller ones may not come with brakes since they are under a certain weight, where trailer brakes are not required.
Pretty easy to determine. Just look at the inside of the wheels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

I owned a 2002 227 MAC and it did. However, as the previous post said, it's difficult to know without more info.

I'd pull a wheel and check. Wiring would also be present if it did have them.

For my camper, a previous owner had cut the wires rather than replace the brakes. The mechanic I had look at it replaced everything, re-connected the wires and we used the camper for years without issues.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

The requirements for brakes on pop-ups vary from state to state. Many to most require brakes on trailers of 1500 lbs max gross wt, others used to go as high as 3000 lbs. As a result, electric brakes were usually an option on the smallest, lightest pop-ups (8ft boxes). Dealers in states with 1500lb no brake limit would order them with brakes, dealers in states with a higher limit might not, depending on their customers. The 10ft boxes and bigger had/have electric brakes standard.

It's gotten a lot harder to buy a small pop-up without brakes because people travel to more states, states have gone to lower limits, and people are buying their pop-ups with more amenities like fridges, 12V and shore power systems, water tanks and sinks, heaters, etc, - all of which tend to drive the pop-up weight beyond 1500lbs.

Tow capacities of smaller SUVs have also grown - 3,500lbs being the normal tow capacity compared to 1500 - 2000lbs of 10 years ago.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

I have 2007 Flagstaff 176. No electric brakes, I thought I read on owners manual not needed or could have been a forum, post?
Labrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrown View Post
I have 2007 Flagstaff 176. No electric brakes, I thought I read on owners manual not needed or could have been a forum, post?
It depends on the state it was originally sold in whether brakes are required or not. There is a weight limit (max gross weight of the trailer) that if the trailer exceeds, brakes must be fitted.

Most common limit is 1500lbs, which most pop-ups exceed. However, there are states with higher limits.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff