Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

2002 Floor replacement & rebuild project.

The camper we just bought. 2002 Rockwood 2518G. I found last night the floor under the front storage box is rotted out. Looks like I'll be replacing most of the floor with some plywood. Don't want to just patch the area. I'll be pulling everything out this weekend. I already took the storage top cover off and fiberglass-ed the heck out of it for strength and no more leaking.
Would you use exterior plywood or advantech plywood. I will be putting some kind of coating on the bottom so the rain , dirt and crap can't get to the plywood. Maybe fiberglass resin.
I wanted to take out the old frig. anyways and put some more storage there. (Microwave space)
Wife wants a new flooring. Not sure to go with the linoleum flooring like what's already there or put tile down. Actually just thought of some hard wood flooring. Hmm guess I'll ask the wife. lol
After washing the camper it looks a lot cleaner. BUT there is still black spots (mold?) on the inside. Which I do not like seeing. Also there is a lot of burn spots (parking to close to the fire) ambers landed on the vinyl. He put silicone in the holes. And a lot of sun damaged spots. Time for a new top. So we looked up and found new tops. At this site Pricing | Bear Creek Canvas
We didn't think that was a bad price for the full vinyl top.
We will buy a top after x mas. Didn't look that hard to replace the top.
Looks like we have nice project to do this fall and next spring. We plan on keeping it 10 years +. Has everything the wife wanted.
I will post pics before, during and after. Then we will be some Happy Campers..
We'll be buying some LED lights also. White and color ones.
Here are some pics of the camper. One of the pics the wife washed one of the sides. You can see a difference in the pic. The black spots are in the back of the pic where my wife washed.
Going to look at the brakes and if I see any wear I'll be putting new pads or shoes on. I'm a neat (best to be ability) freak and huge maintenance free guy. I would rather do it right the first time and don't have to worry for a long time about it. And not in the middle of camping something breaks that I could of fixed it before.

Thanks, Dan
CAMPING!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front washed.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	90126   Click image for larger version

Name:	back washed.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	90127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	90128  
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

I forgot new short queen size mattresses. The ones in it have seen some use.... lol
Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Hope you got it cheap for all that work!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

Bought at night and missed all the stuff. So I paid about 600 too much I think. But I'll still have less then what it booked for. Not counting my labor. Which I never count when I fix something. lol
I learned something on this deal. Never by at night!!..
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #5

We bought a used pop up and later discovered the rotten floor, walls, and canvas, not to mention the lift system was completely trashed.
Anyways...... after stripping down to the bare frame my son and I used POR15 black paint on the frame, the new floor was constructed using Advantec with the underside and all edges completely covered using roofing tar. The flooring was a floating type of material but had to be glued when we noticed the slide out rolling on the floor had started pushing the vinyl up.

After building and installing new wall's and cabinets we applied the new siding using a roll of vinyl coated white aluminum.

All edges of the new floor, top of all walls, around all side hatch and access door opening's were given a strip of Zip System tape for extra sealing protection.

You'll like the LED lights, they are really bright and consume way less energy and produce much less heat too.

Finally we sent our torn and moldy (no rodent issues) canvas to Canvas Replacements and they made an exact, and perfect fitting replacement.

It may seem like a lot of work, so take lots of pictures (we did), you'll appreciate your hard work when you and your family are out camping after your repairs have been completed.

Have fun!
GT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #6

The pics may hide some of the issues, but your canvas doesn't look that bad. If it isn't leaking, I'd say use it for a year to make sure you need to spend the $$ to replace it.
Good luck - sounds like a significant project but will be satisfying and you'll know your unit inside and out when done.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

I have looked at that POR15 pretty hard when I built my 20 ton wheel bearing press. I didn't buy it though. I think it would be a great time to buy the POR15 and use it n the camper frame then the rest on my press.
I will buy the Advantec plywood when I do it.
I do take a lot of pics when I do a project.
The pics don't show all the damage on the canvas. When I was rinsing it off my wife told me the water was seeping inside.
If I do all the stuff we want to I will now it inside and out like you guys said.

Thank you, Dan
Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

This will of course put a hold on my AC roof unit.

Tags
replacement