Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #1

2007 Rockwood Freedom v12 battery power issue

Hello all, I recently just got my first pop up camper. And I canít get the from the battery to work. I checked and charged the battery. Only the power lift system is working but lights,fan,outlets donít work. But when I tied hook it to my house outlet they work fine. If the wire is wrong or fuse is blown nothing should work when hook up to my house outlet right ?

So Iím not sure whatís the issue is here. Is there like a switch that switch from using shore power to battery ? Do I need to turn on anything before using batter power ? Iíve tried and looked at everything I could think of.

So, please help me out.
Thank you.
Kaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Your outlets will only work when you are on shore power or a generator have you checked to see if you battery disconnect (if installed) is in the correct position should be located by the battery. Make sure you the at the battery connected correctly. There is a great group of very knowledgeable pop up owner on the forum I'm sure they will chime in.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

Completely dead battery is the first suspect. More than a month not connected to shorepower is enough to completely kill the battery, often to the point it will never again hold a charge, unless the battery is disconnected either with a user-added switch or by removing the negative terminal from the battery.

If a new battery was connected backwards (White is ground) there should be fuses in the main box to protect it.

-- Chuck
Old 09-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

The power lift is usually wired directly to the battery (along with the electric tongue jack if you have an electric model). These two items will have in-line fuses in their wiring.

All other 12V items - fans, lights go through the 12V fuse panel. Further confusing things on pop-ups, there is a safety switch that disconnects the overhead lights and fans when the roof (or galley in many cases) is lowered. Outlets are powered by 120V, not battery, and so only work when on shore power.

There is also a circuit breaker or fuse located on the frame near the battery in the wire going to the fuse panel.

Pop-up campers do not have battery shut-offs installed from the factory. If you leave the battery connected while in storage, things like the propane/CO detector and stereo (if installed) will run the battery down to nothing in less than a month. So you either keep your camper plugged in while in storage OR disconnect the battery OR install a battery shut-off.

I suspect that the battery is not getting through to the fuse panel (frame circuit breaker) OR the overhead safety switch is not working.

Were any of these things tested when you purchased the new-to-you pop-up? Ideally, the seller would have demonstrated everything working, both with and without shore power.

For us to help you, you will need to specifically need to identify what does and doesn't work when on battery. Include any lower level items - stereo, porch and tongue lights, night lights, water pump, etc, because that will help pinpoint whether it is the overhead safety switch or the entire fuse panel.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Kia Carnival minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum.

You said the power lift is working but none of the other 12vdc items are working, so I would suspect either there is a battery cutoff switch somewhere on your popup or there is a main fuse blown. I don’t know if the power lift is wired directly to the battery. In 2007, Rockwood/Flagstaff didn’t add battery cut-off switches so that would have been added on by a previous owner.

Good luck and please let us know what it was if you get it figured out.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #6

So Iíve check what everyone said but still doesnít work. The only thing left to do is to replace the battery which I just charged it with optimate 4 that I have and also the lift system works. Doesnít it mean that the battery is still good ? I check the cut off switch by the battery. ( I included picture of it to make sure itís right one ) and also checked the switch under sink make sure it pushed down when lift up the sink. Any other idea what it might be ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7686F23F-2863-431D-BD45-892E0057F5F4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	263439   Click image for larger version

Name:	9444B125-E1F2-4FB3-AF37-ACF857BD02C7.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	263440  
Kaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:56 AM   #7

You'll want to locate the switch that disconnects the 12v power to the pop-up and make sure it is working. Absolutely add a battery disconnect. Mine came from Harobr Freight, and installed where the negative wire from the battery connects to the frame. To keep your battery fully charged and to prevent your battery running down from the CO/Propane detector, I'd recommend a solar panel and charge controller. If you boondock, you'll find that a solar panel helps a lot. For boondockiing, I'd recommend two batteries. I installed two 6v golf cart batteries (which are true deep cycle) wired in series to make 12v. As long as we don't leave the heater on all night, a 100 watt panel will supply all of our electricity for at least 3 days. If I add an additional portable 100 watt panel, I can stay indefinitely.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #8

No way the lift will work with a bad battery. The lift system draws a lot of power so if it's working the battery is fine.

Does the lift work in the direction you intend? That is Up goes up and Down goes down. It will work wired either way but the reversed polarity will blow the protection fuses in the power panel and prevent the battery from charging and prevent battery power from powering interior things.

Find and check those fuses, they're a pair of red fuses dead center in the DC section of my power panel. (Yours may be different.)

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
TGR

I think Chuck S has described the likely problem in post #8. An inexpensive voltmeter will help diagnose the problem. Measuring the battery terminals to ground will let you know if you have the battery correctly wired, i.e., a nominal 12 VDC from the positive terminal to ground and a nominal 0 VDC to ground from the negative terminal of the battery is what you should read. If connected backwards, the reverse-polarity fuses will be blown and that will happen even if the battery was just momentarily wired backwards. You should also be able to trace the negative wire to chassis ground on your trailerís frame.

I wasnít able to glean the color of both wires connected to your battery. There are several possible wire colors, which are:

-For Black and Red wires--Black is negative and Red is positive
-For Black and White wires--White is negative and Black is positive
-For White and Red wires--White is negative and Red is positive

Of course, someone could have replaced a wire without following the wiring conventions above. Itís best to physically trace the ground wire & go from there.

Tags
battery, freedom, power, rockwood