Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

2010 Rockwood 2280 popup roof shifted backward

Hi all, I have just purchased this Rockwood popup, it was hardly used since new and is in exceptional condition. The only issue I have is the roof seems to be out of alignment. I've gone through all the steps and made sure everything is perfectly level, when opening closing.
When the roof is fully down and locked the front right corner as the seal squeezed so tight that you would have a hard time getting a slotted screw driver in there. In the rear end there's about an inch gap between the lid and the camper box, I don't mean up and down but forward to backward, this would work out to about 1/2 inch out of alignment to the back of the trailer. It wouldn't be such a big deal But this is causing door fitment issues that I've tried everything to resolve. This half-inch shifting forward would fix everything with the door issue as well. Has anyone come across this before? Is there something relatively simple I can adjust before I really dig into it? The brackets that attach the lift arms to the roof are they spotted by any chance? That would make it a fairly simple fix.
Xinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

Did you use the crank down stabilizers to level the camper?
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

Sounds like the cable pulley needs a small adjustment. Easy to do, just crawl under the trailer, pulley is attached to the rear frame and cable runs through it. Held in place by two nuts; believe you tighten the pulley to the frame, but not sure since I have never needed an adjustment.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
Did you use the crank down stabilizers to level the camper?
I always make sure the axles are level first and then I used The tongue jack to level it front to back and the stabilizers I use just to stabilize .
Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Sounds like the cable pulley needs a small adjustment. Easy to do, just crawl under the trailer, pulley is attached to the rear frame and cable runs through it. Held in place by two nuts; believe you tighten the pulley to the frame, but not sure since I have never needed an adjustment.
Just to make sure we're on the same page are you talking about height adjustment up-and-down or shifting forward backward of the roof?
If cable adjustment took care of the issue that would be great!

I even tried putting some weight into it as the wife cranks it down ,
Pushing towards the front of the trailer but once the roof is down so far
There is no movement left in the post and it just goes where it wants to
I will take a few pics this evening when I get home
Old 08-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

Just notice you are implying front corner to back corner. If it is the entire back or rear is different height when down or up, it is the pulley adjustment. And I believe I was incorrect in how to adjust.
To raise the front I now believe the pulley must be adjust forward, to raise the rear more adjust the pulley backward.

If it is just one corner going down more than the other corners, that sounds like the spring for that corner could be bent inside the conduit. But could be the other three posts are hanging up (not likely I would think).

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Sorry it's a little tough to explain being that it's not the typical adjustment for a pop up trailer. It's not the up-and-down adjustments I need but the forward backward adjustment if there is any. The roof goes up-and-down perfectly the same in front and back but when it is fully closed the roof is shifted to the rear. There isn't much room there to shift but it is shipped it to the back which fully compresses the seal on the front that leaves the seal just touching with no compression at all. As far as I can tell either the lift arms are bent towards the back, which they do not look bent or where the roof mounting bracket for the arms are is possibly shifted about 1/2 inch if that's even possible
Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Now I understand. Only idea I have are the lift arms twisted a bit?

Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #9

Here's a couple pics to better explain what I'm trying to explain.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	117385  
Old 08-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #11

Pic 2
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #12

Not sure why but it only let me upload one picture and that is of the backend with almost an inch overhang where the front is just about none
Old 08-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #13

One other thing to look at, and this is a SWAG....
If these conduit brackets are loose or not attached correctly, and the spring is pushing up on an angle....maybe that could cause a problem.
There's one at each corner and attached from the outside via two screws.

Again, it is SWAG!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #14

I'm pretty sure the roof needs to be shifted some how, I'm hoping there is some sort of adjustment there. I know the arms are attached to the roof by a pin and clip just not sure if there is any adjustment in the plate that mounts to the roof.... Hope so

Tags
280, rockwood, roo, roof, pop up