RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #1

2017 625D Roof binds briefly while lifting or lowering

I have a 2017 Flagstaff 625D (same / similar to Rockwood 2516G) That has an issue when the roof goes up or down. At about the halfway point thereís a popping sound and a little jump in the movement. Itís like something is catching briefly then releasing.

Iíd like to take care of this before it gets worse and possibly ruins a trip.

I believe these have the Goshen lift system in them. Does that sound right? Iím guessing thereís a bad spring or cable but hoping someone else has experienced this and can give me some pointers to get me started on things to check.

This is our first RV in 25 years and weíre excited to put this thing through its paces this year!
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Dixon's Last Resort

Cool

I've got a 2014 Flagstaff MAC BR28TSC toy hauler ver. that does exactly the same thing every time I put the roof up.

Gets to the 1/2way point, there's a notable "bang"... and the roof continues up with a significant bounce up/down till it hits the roof limit.

I've checked, greased the lift system, oiled the lift arms checked tension/slack at the rear pulley and re-strung the lift cable to it winds up without a bunch of overlap.

Nope not one bit of difference.

I've searched YOUTUBE with very limited success, but did find a vid from a dealership guy selling his (it was a similar Flagstaff model as mine w/A/C )....and it bounced going up too.

So now I raise the roof in short bursts, till I get to the max roof height.

SO far - so good.

My guess is that the previous owner may have possibly damaged one of the lift springs slightly and that's causing the issue, or it could be that I have A/C installed (not centered on the roof by the way) that may be causing a slight lean when going up..thus the binding

I've debated on ordering and replacing the entire spring lift assy from Goshen, (not that expensive), but I admittedly haven't due to the issue of not having a hard surface/garage to work on it.

Not a fan of trying to re-assemble laying in a dirt driveway.

On a side note, it's "behavior" hasn't changed or altered since the day I bought it, and I've had it up/down too many time to count. and the going down part is smooth as can be.

No apparent binding what-so-ever.

If you find a reason/solution please make sure to share!!

my2cents
cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Cupsz, thanks for responding. This one has AC, too and it's off center as well. Perhaps the extra weight of the AC is putting additional pressure somewhere...

We've had it for a week and we've been through it and this seems to be the only thing that concerns me (knock on wood nothing else comes up). Otherwise, it's a really nice camper and we're super excited to take it out on Saturday.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

I have a 2018 Flagstaff HW27KS with the off centered AC unit. I often get a loud bang when lowering/raising the roof, altho I haven't noticed any bouncing. From what I can tell from the limited info out there, it sounds like one of the springs can get bound in the tube then it releases, making the bang. But like cupsz71 wrote, that seems to be all that comes from it and I don't see any other problems associated with this - yet!! I will watch this thread too for any further issues from any of you.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #5

Thanks Campworthy.

I think at this point I'll just keep my eye on it and see how things go the next few times we go out with it. If things change I'll report back.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post
Thanks Campworthy.

I think at this point I'll just keep my eye on it and see how things go the next few times we go out with it. If things change I'll report back.

I have a 2016, Rockwood Premier 2516g and it does the same exact thing. Tried silicone and grease, still does it. Now when I raise or lower the roof I stop every foot or so for a couple seconds then I continue. It seems to reduce the dramatic banging!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
Bob414

I have a loud bang when lowering my PUP. I relate it to the telescoping rails that cover the lift springs temporally getting stuck then falling down. I hope I am right, because that does not seem to be much of a problem.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob414 View Post
I have a loud bang when lowering my PUP. I relate it to the telescoping rails that cover the lift springs temporally getting stuck then falling down. I hope I am right, because that does not seem to be much of a problem.

Bob

I was thinking the same regarding the lift springs getting stuck then falling!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #9

Wow, there is a lot of us out there! Which is good because hopefully that means is nothing to worry about.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
Wow, there is a lot of us out there! Which is good because hopefully that means is nothing to worry about.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Bob414

To be clear, I am referring to the telescoping covers over the lift springs, NOT the lift springs themselves. These telescoping covers need to be lubricated, I use a silicone lube that dries and HOPEFULLY will not stain the canvas.

Bob
Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob414 View Post
To be clear, I am referring to the telescoping covers over the lift springs, NOT the lift springs themselves. These telescoping covers need to be lubricated, I use a silicone lube that dries and HOPEFULLY will not stain the canvas.

Bob

Yup, got it, knew what you meant!!
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #13

I have a 2018 HW277 and it did this also. It was always unnerving when I would pop it up and I worried about excessive wear. Fortunately for me, once I lubricated the full system (fully greased the zerks, lube on winch spool, silicon in lift arms) it went away. I can raise or lower smoothly now.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #14

I have an older 2009, 823D, but same lift system. along with greasing the zerks, and using the silicon lube on the lift posts, I got myself a small oil can and i put some oil down where the "telescoping lift arms" reside when retracted. This oil can then lube down through where the springs go. I now also, when roof is fully down, remove the screws (self tappers) holding the curved spring tubes up into these lift arms (using a bottle jack and and releasing slowly so I am able to jack back up into place) and put oil into the spring tubes from the top. I seem to recall seeing some maintenance instructions saying there is a hole at the top of the tubes to be able to get the oil in, but mine didn't have these, so the only way to get oil in was to disconnect and lower. This seems to help in the smoothness lifting the roof. My camper is at the in-laws, just waiting for the 4th otherwise I would get a pic.

Another thing to check, as I need to with mine, the attached bubble level is actually off kilter, so it is not fully level when it shows it is, and its definitely harder to lift the roof if even slightly off (and mine doesn't have air con).
rourky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #15

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/...ication.33219/

old post from around my model year, it seems they haven't changed much though.....
Old 06-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #16
Dixon's Last Resort

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourky80 View Post
Another thing to check, as I need to with mine, the attached bubble level is actually off kilter, so it is not fully level when it shows it is, and its definitely harder to lift the roof if even slightly off (and mine doesn't have air con).
I use a 3ft contractor level. My unit didn't come with bubble levels, I've just thrown the 3ft level inside the door when she's all packed up, and use it when I'm setting up .
The roof line has a slight curve on the sides...so I avoid that
I instead use the front steel deck at the edge of that actual camper body for front-back, and the rear bumper for side-side.

Used it when I built the deck on my house....so we aren't walking on a slope so I'm trusting it's accurate.
cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #17

yeah, I have been using a tordedo level that i have in the camper, next time I will have my 4ft level and some double sided 3m tape and check and fix my bubble levels. I was a little surprised at how much harder my electric winch worked when it was slightly off level.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
Bob414

I attached bubble levels to my PUP, they use sticky tape to attach. I use a torpedo level with a self enclosed magnet, I place that magnetic level on the frame at the front corner (both length and width) to check/calibrate the attached levels.

Bob

Tags
goshen, lift, roof