Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 05:22 AM   #1

2018 2280 BHESP Roof Repair

Hello everyone!

Brand new to the forum and brand new to pop up campers (at least as an owner). Grew up pop up camping and am ready to start my own family traditions with my two young sons.

We just bought a 2018 rockwood 2280 BHESP. Overall good shape, aside from a side roof board being pretty water damaged. Previous owner stores outside in Delaware, and I can see where the sealant separated and water just soaked this board. Got a good price I feel, so moved forward on the purchase.

I’m all for a project and it seems pretty straight forward to replace the board (in my head). I was just curious if anyone had experience with this specific model or similar, and what materials they’d recommend.

Also, if anyone has went to a shop and paid for the repair, was just curious what the price was, in case I bit off more than I can chew haha.

Thanks for the future advice everyone! And I’m excited to be here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87F91B69-D24A-4D73-8050-B90CC432DB04.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	273099  
VikesFan3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. There is a great number of forum member with a ton of knowledge when it comes to this type of rig. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesFan3086 View Post
Hello everyone!

Brand new to the forum and brand new to pop up campers (at least as an owner). Grew up pop up camping and am ready to start my own family traditions with my two young sons.

We just bought a 2018 rockwood 2280 BHESP. Overall good shape, aside from a side roof board being pretty water damaged. Previous owner stores outside in Delaware, and I can see where the sealant separated and water just soaked this board. Got a good price I feel, so moved forward on the purchase.

I’m all for a project and it seems pretty straight forward to replace the board (in my head). I was just curious if anyone had experience with this specific model or similar, and what materials they’d recommend.

Also, if anyone has went to a shop and paid for the repair, was just curious what the price was, in case I bit off more than I can chew haha.

Thanks for the future advice everyone! And I’m excited to be here.
Forest River will sell you 2 side boards for $350-$400 shipped on a freight truck to you (might be more or less depending on your shipping region). Shipping was the most expensive part of that purchase for me. If you go that route... just buy both, they were like $70 a piece and odds are good you will need it eventually. That will give you an idea at least of OEM parts cost if you go a repair shop route.

You have to transfer the metal bottom edge to the new board and redo the sealant on the top corner under the metal corner rail. Reinstall the tent track and other hardware from the old board. I think the hardest part was making sure the roof was well supported during the "transplant" process because those sideboards hold the entire roof up. If its on the side with the A/C cord you have to drill a new hole for that etc...

In the end I went the factory parts route because when I was done, it looked factory not sorta kind of close to the rest of the roof appearance.

Parts:
Side board(s)
black end caps (they start under the long metal trim piece at each end that curves down and is a soft rubbery texture)

Labor is:
1. Partially raise and support roof.
2. Remove corner trim caps.
3. Remove top metal corner cover from sideboard to roof joint.
4. Unscrew the metal angled brackets on the inside front/rear corners that attach the side board to the front board.
5. Detach the tent track (can be done after pulling sideboard out a little after fully detaching)
6. There may be some velcro wrapping from sidewall to front that can be cut.
7. Remove the long staples holding sidewall on (there are alot).. Save a couple for last and get someone to help hold it when taking out the last few.
8. Transfer hardware to new sideboard (including the long metal bottom piece).
9. Install sideboard (I used stainless screws because I didn't have 2 inch stapler)
10. Replace dicor sealant on top to side edge board interface.
11. Put new round end covers on first
12. Reattach top metal angle piece.
13. Run sealant

There will be some steps where you will add sealant as well.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

I should add that the easiest way to mark holes for hardware transfer is to mark all the used holes (yes I had a couple that were not used) on the white plastic layer that is on the inside of the current sidewall. Once the board is off if your rood is badly deteriorated that plastic inside layer will practically fall off on its own or with a little encouragement.

Now you have a template to make new holes on the inside of the new sideboard. Just clamp it in place and keep it taught and be careful not to drill all the way through the new sideboard

One "bonus" suggestion. I used a gloved finger and pressed geocell sealant into and along the exposed edges of the new board all the way around. I did it two times to ensure full coverage and penetration but also made sure to press firmly for as thin a layer as possible. Use a glove, that sharp edge will cut you! Fundamentally you are working with a particle board wood panel sandwiched by aluminum or fiberglass on outside and plastic on the inside. Water destroys it quickly. I did not want to ever have a problem again from that panel.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, repair, roo, roof, roof repair