Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
EYR

2018 Rockwood 2716G - AC unit

I just got a Brisk II AC unit by Dominic for my tent trailer. Tent Trailer is a Rockwood 2716G, bought in 2018. I am getting different information about where the AC unit should be located.

I need to know if it is possible to simply swap the existing vent for the AC unit as it is supposed to be pre wired for AC?

If not, and I have to find a screw in the middle of the roof, what does pre wiring mean?

Any help would be appreciated.
EYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYR View Post
I just got a Brisk II AC unit by Dominic for my tent trailer. Tent Trailer is a Rockwood 2716G, bought in 2018. I am getting different information about where the AC unit should be located.

I need to know if it is possible to simply swap the existing vent for the AC unit as it is supposed to be pre wired for AC?

If not, and I have to find a screw in the middle of the roof, what does pre wiring mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 2716g.

Sounds like you should have your dealer install it. You don't really sound that knowledgeable about how to install it and if done wrong, you'll be buying a whole new roof.

The AC doesn't go where the vent is, it goes where the screw is. You'll be wiring up the AC regardless. The prewired only means that some will be done in that a receptacle will be installed already that's wired to the converter. The receptacle will be located inside the cabinet above the converter. I would have your dealer do all the wiring.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:23 AM   #3

Wise advice Mike91!

EYR, welcome from always sunny southeast Arizona!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

I won't judge what you can or can't do but I will echo Mike in that any mistakes and your possibly buying a new roof.

There are you-tube videos on this and it *CAN* be done. The question is on your tolerance threshold for having to pay for mistakes.

As has been said there is a screw in the ceiling for a camper that is "AC ready" It is not in the center front to back, or side to side really.

That screw is an indicator on where to start. You have to make a square hole in the roof through all layers carefully and NOT sever the support beams or damage internal structure. Once you have safely made the hole you have to mount the roof unit and mount the inside air distro unit and controls. You will have to run wire conduit along the ceiling to the sidewall and possibly down the sidewall to a hole you poke in the side of the roof to expose a plug to the outside.

Finally, as described wire in to the power distro. box and put an outdoor plug end on it to plug in to the roof socket.

If that sounds like your cup of tea, here is something to watch:

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood