Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 10:14 PM   #1

2019 Rockwood HW277 Front Wall Deformation

Greetings all. I just bought a new to me (gently used) 2019 HW277. On our first trip we noticed that the king bed, when under load pulls the front wall away from the cabinets. We also noticed this on the queen bed too, but to a lesser extent.

Has anybody encounterd this problem? It appears to be a build defect or a design flaw where the bed support brace has the lower angled member that hooks into the frame in compression and the top horisontal brace is in tension. The tension pulls the top of the wall in the hitch direction since it is unable to resist the force from the tension member of the bed support, therby damaging the wall and pulling away from the cabinets.

I am seeking a fix or inquiring if there is a recall for this problem. on the outside the wall fiberglass has popped out of the corner profile piece too. I will need to find a way to get the fiberglass sheet back into the angle frame piece. Right now this poses a water infiltration hazard for me.

any help and discussion would be appreciated!

(sorry i cant figure out how to straighten out the photos)

Thank you.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220918_102125676.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	279844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220918_102150127_HDR.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	279845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220918_102121828_MP.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	279846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220918_102210853_HDR.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	279847  
jackgalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:30 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You know the problem why not lengthen or adjust the angle of the support to stop the problem?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #3

Have you checked that the bed is level? Are you using the correct braces? The longer ones go in the front under the king bunk and the shorter in the rear. I don't recall which color the end cap is to know from your photo if you got it right but they are different colors front and rear and different lengths.

It also appears you are using the middle slot on the frame, perhaps try the top one if you have the right braces in the right ends?

If the front has already been damaged for whatever reason some repairs may have to take place before changing bracing location will do any good.

As far as the corner cap, The strip in the middle of the cap should come out the bottom of the track and be screwed to the underside of the camp floor. Undo that screw and you can life out the strip of plastic. That strip is a screw cover for the screws that hold the corner trim to the body. You can undo them and will likely have to remove silicone/adhesives to get it off clean. 91+ % Isopropyl alcohol and goo-gone will clean up most of that nicely.

With that off you should be able to see what is going on with the frame etc...
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #4

I really do not believe that construction glue you see pulling away was from the factory. I feel someone else has fixed this exact same problem before.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I really do not believe that construction glue you see pulling away was from the factory. I feel someone else has fixed this exact same problem before.
Agreed, that does seem a copious amount of adhesive there. The factory silicone is much more modest in application.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

Ok. There is no chance that a bead of construction glue or acrylic will resist the force. The material of the wall needs to be more rigid. Thanks for response!
Old 09-30-2022, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Have you checked that the bed is level? Are you using the correct braces? The longer ones go in the front under the king bunk and the shorter in the rear. I don't recall which color the end cap is to know from your photo if you got it right but they are different colors front and rear and different lengths.

It also appears you are using the middle slot on the frame, perhaps try the top one if you have the right braces in the right ends?

If the front has already been damaged for whatever reason some repairs may have to take place before changing bracing location will do any good.

As far as the corner cap, The strip in the middle of the cap should come out the bottom of the track and be screwed to the underside of the camp floor. Undo that screw and you can life out the strip of plastic. That strip is a screw cover for the screws that hold the corner trim to the body. You can undo them and will likely have to remove silicone/adhesives to get it off clean. 91+ % Isopropyl alcohol and goo-gone will clean up most of that nicely.

With that off you should be able to see what is going on with the frame etc...
Thanks for the tips. I am quite sure we had the bed supports on correctly. Do you know if the 2 cabinets are intended to brace the front wall? Because of the door and slide out there is not much resistance created to stabilize the wall. I will investigate further this weekend. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgalloway View Post
Greetings all. I just bought a new to me (gently used) 2019 HW277. On our first trip we noticed that the king bed, when under load pulls the front wall away from the cabinets. We also noticed this on the queen bed too, but to a lesser extent.

Has anybody encounterd this problem? It appears to be a build defect or a design flaw where the bed support brace has the lower angled member that hooks into the frame in compression and the top horisontal brace is in tension. The tension pulls the top of the wall in the hitch direction since it is unable to resist the force from the tension member of the bed support, therby damaging the wall and pulling away from the cabinets.

I am seeking a fix or inquiring if there is a recall for this problem. on the outside the wall fiberglass has popped out of the corner profile piece too. I will need to find a way to get the fiberglass sheet back into the angle frame piece. Right now this poses a water infiltration hazard for me.

any help and discussion would be appreciated!

(sorry i cant figure out how to straighten out the photos)

Thank you.

Jack
Hi Jack, I'm really sorry to share but this is a known defect with the Flagstaff/Rockwoods. I have it happening on my 2018 HW27KS, although mine isn't looking as bad as yours....yet! There are a few things you can do to stop it getting worse. I have read that you can add some extra screws in the framework inside the cabinets, that attach to the front wall. The cabinets help strengthen up the front wall. Also, like stated above you can place your bed support bar in the higher slot, to help take the weight off the flimsy aluminum rail. The best one that has helped me the most, is positioning 2 upright support bars when using the king bed. It's an extra set up/take down step but worth it. There's a couple of threads on here about front wall flex, here's one, have a read it might make more sense.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-213472.html
Old 10-02-2022, 08:43 PM   #9

I use 2 of thesehttps://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Adjustable-Supports-Construction-Drywalls/dp/B09VGJY5W5/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2IWXQ1ZD57SDV&keywords=support+ba r&qid=1664761349&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljg4IiwicXNhIjoiNC 41MCIsInFzcCI6IjMuNTkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=support+bar %2Caps%2C632&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Old 10-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
Hi Jack, I'm really sorry to share but this is a known defect with the Flagstaff/Rockwoods. I have it happening on my 2018 HW27KS, although mine isn't looking as bad as yours....yet! There are a few things you can do to stop it getting worse. I have read that you can add some extra screws in the framework inside the cabinets, that attach to the front wall. The cabinets help strengthen up the front wall. Also, like stated above you can place your bed support bar in the higher slot, to help take the weight off the flimsy aluminum rail. The best one that has helped me the most, is positioning 2 upright support bars when using the king bed. It's an extra set up/take down step but worth it. There's a couple of threads on here about front wall flex, here's one, have a read it might make more sense.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-213472.html
You say this is a known issue? interesting I will have to keep an eye on my 2018 HW 276. I don't have cabinets at the front just a bench seat.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
You say this is a known issue? interesting I will have to keep an eye on my 2018 HW 276. I don't have cabinets at the front just a bench seat.

What I mean is it's a known issue and there are several threads on here and other platforms I use, by owners with the same problem. It doesn't seem to be acknowledged by Forest River, well, not that they admitted to me when I corresponded with them about it. I would say if you haven't noticed it already, your probably okay, mine showed up the first time I used the king bunk. There's some detailed threads on here about strengthening up that front wall. I'm just using 2 expandable supports, which so far seems to stop it from getting worse.
Campworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

Also, you could email Forest River showing them your pics. They weren't interested in mine but yours is definitely worse and your rig is newer. It might be worth trying.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #13

I use these to help take the weight off the front aluminum strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221003-092205_Gallery.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	280004  
Campworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
I use these to help take the weight off the front aluminum strip.

Campworthy, Thanks for the info and the picture. I too have a similar issue with the Queen bunk. We don't use the King bunk, just set it up as a catch all, as it is just the 2 of us, so there's no real weight on it.

I had noticed in the past, and then this last weekend, a bit of separation from the cabinet to the wall and by the toilet area as well. Not real bad, but enough to take notice and have some concern. I had read a thread awhile back about this problem, so I was aware of it maybe happening, but still hoping not.

This time I decided to mark the separation crack on the wall going down with a piece of electrical tape ( that's what was handy at the time... LOL ) to see if was still traveling. YEP, it had traveled during the sleeping hours. Mind you we are 400 lb. combined weight. I am a 240 lb. toss and turner here, so I think this has somewhat to do with it as well. And, of course the POOR construction. This is the first popup I have ever had with this problem.

We really enjoy our 2019 FR HW29SC..... although still not happy, but as least I can still take steps, such as you have with these Jacks. One extra step but better to catch it early.

It is definitely a poor design with the bunk support.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:06 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
Campworthy, Thanks for the info and the picture. I too have a similar issue with the Queen bunk. We don't use the King bunk, just set it up as a catch all, as it is just the 2 of us, so there's no real weight on it.

I had noticed in the past, and then this last weekend, a bit of separation from the cabinet to the wall and by the toilet area as well. Not real bad, but enough to take notice and have some concern. I had read a thread awhile back about this problem, so I was aware of it maybe happening, but still hoping not.

This time I decided to mark the separation crack on the wall going down with a piece of electrical tape ( that's what was handy at the time... LOL ) to see if was still traveling. YEP, it had traveled during the sleeping hours. Mind you we are 400 lb. combined weight. I am a 240 lb. toss and turner here, so I think this has somewhat to do with it as well. And, of course the POOR construction. This is the first popup I have ever had with this problem.

We really enjoy our 2019 FR HW29SC..... although still not happy, but as least I can still take steps, such as you have with these Jacks. One extra step but better to catch it early.

It is definitely a poor design with the bunk support.
I would get those support bars on pretty sharpish! I replied to your message
Old 10-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
I would get those support bars on pretty sharpish! I replied to your message

Got your message.......:Thank You!
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #17

If that's a design issue affecting all units, a safety recall is in order. That looks so dangerous. I would never let any of my loved ones sleep on that bunk. The extra straight poles looks even worse. They have no side support. All they need to be knocked of axis by an animal, a kid, a branch in a wind storm, anything, and then there goes the bunk.

I've had a 2005 Rockwood 2290 (with it's own major issues), a 2007 Starcraft, and a 2020 Rockwood 2716g (knock on wood as it's had it's own issues) that never had anything as dangerous or scary as that. I honestly can't see how a safety recall hasn't been done by now on that!
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
If that's a design issue affecting all units, a safety recall is in order. That looks so dangerous. I would never let any of my loved ones sleep on that bunk. The extra straight poles looks even worse. They have no side support. All they need to be knocked of axis by an animal, a kid, a branch in a wind storm, anything, and then there goes the bunk.

I've had a 2005 Rockwood 2290 (with it's own major issues), a 2007 Starcraft, and a 2020 Rockwood 2716g (knock on wood as it's had it's own issues) that never had anything as dangerous or scary as that. I honestly can't see how a safety recall hasn't been done by now on that!
The upright supports are not the sole support, the regular bed poles are still there and in place and functioning, I've just used the uprights as extra support. As far as I can see there are no threads on here of complete front wall failure, unless you can prove me wrong?
Old 10-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #19

Quote:
TAs far as I can see there are no threads on here of complete front wall failure, unless you can prove me wrong?
I think most have had their walls fixed before a complete failure. I've seen posts here before with how others have fixed it.

I'm honestly surprised a recall hasn't been issued.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Also, you could email Forest River showing them your pics. They weren't interested in mine but yours is definitely worse and your rig is newer. It might be worth trying.
Yes I do plan to contact Forest River regarding this issue. Now that Ive had a chance to evaluate, it is clearly a design deficiency. I will update this thread with results. I seriously appreciate all of the suggestions.

We are ready to get this in use next spring and i will work to repair the damage to a better than new condition. That will require a refitted corner cap, and some structural retrofit to strengthen the capacity of the wall to resist the top chord tension.

If it is true that Forest River has not addressed this problem, that would be very disappointing. While I purchased this from a private party, i see that the warranty is no longer in effect. Ill keep this post updated with progress on the repair and response from Forest River.

Tags
rockwood