Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #1

2020 Rockwood HW277 AC question

We recently acquired our first camping trailer, and I am on a steep learning curve so please forgive the newb question.

On our camper, the condensate from the AC runs off the roof and down the tent end. Is this correct? I was a little surprised that the design would be to run it over the fabric portion of the camper.

Thanks for the help!
geojag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, it may be just the way the camper is leveled, I made extensions from a couple of pipe insulation foam lengths and went right on the drain.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #3

yep, it runs right off the roof onto the tent ends..... I attached a J channel along the roof edge - that worked very well.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
Welcome from New Jersey, it may be just the way the camper is leveled, I made extensions from a couple of pipe insulation foam lengths and went right on the drain.
Thanks for the quick response. Where is the drain located? Looking the camper over, the only hose that goes from the roof to the body is the vent tube for the black water tank. The roof is uniform and slopes toward the back when level, and I don't see any visible drain. Again, new to this so I may be missing the obvious.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
yep, it runs right off the roof onto the tent ends..... I attached a J channel along the roof edge - that worked very well.
Good to know, I will take a closer look when I have it running this weekend and see what I can do.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

there is a drain hole on the AC pan - i looked at attaching a hose to it to direct the condensate - would have to attach it somehow to the roof or deal with the tubing every trip and i did not want to do that. The J channel gutter was attached to the roof edge with stuff that they attach car emblems with - no drilling holes in the roof.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #7

We have an HW276 and have the same experience. It always drips off to the left side (looking at it from the door side) and drips down to the far corner. The problem with that is not only does it again the canvas from always going the same path, but ours eventually starts soaking through the canvas from constant contact, and even started to mildew in that spot. I'll second/third the j channel. I cut a piece and installed it under the metal lip of the roof. Works perfectly.
Capt America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #8

After looking a bit closer, I think I understand the j-channel idea. What size and material of j-channel did you all use?
Old 06-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #9

Some people just use pool noodles for the purpose of redirecting water on the roof.

Yes totally normal and expected for AC runoff on the fabric.

I have a slide-out on the side opposite the door so tents on 3 sides. With an awning out over the door well.. that makes 4 sides.

I looked at setting up drain tubing but I found that I do not have a single place the water comes out and it just runs towards the lowest side of the camper so there was no way to just install something
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #10

[QUOTE=flyerdp;2349661]Some people just use pool noodles for the purpose of redirecting water on the roof.
[QUOTE]
I tried the pool noodles, people said that they had success with them but i did not - was very hard to put in place with our highwall - and i had a hard time getting the noodle to stay in place - the J channel was a once and done and never had to think about it again.

to the OP - it was a pretty small J channel, it was not obvious and people did not even notice it was there. don't remember the size.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojag View Post
We recently acquired our first camping trailer, and I am on a steep learning curve so please forgive the newb question.

On our camper, the condensate from the AC runs off the roof and down the tent end. Is this correct? I was a little surprised that the design would be to run it over the fabric portion of the camper.

Thanks for the help!

I tried detouring the water simple because I didn’t like it running down the canvass, not because it would damage anything. I tried PVC pipe and RV gutters, neither worked, so I left it as is!

It’s normal for the condensation to run whatever way gravity takes it. Typically it runs towards the rear of the camper when level.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I tried the pool noodles, people said that they had success with them but i did not - was very hard to put in place with our highwall - and i had a hard time getting the noodle to stay in place - the J channel was a once and done and never had to think about it again.

to the OP - it was a pretty small J channel, it was not obvious and people did not even notice it was there. don't remember the size.
Like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CJRH1..._2kc8EbVZC81DA
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post
That looks promising! Thanks for the link.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post

kind of like that, the size looks right - but it did not have the adhesive attached (that adhesive is on the wrong side as I attached the j channel to the inside of the roof edge with the J sticking out from under. I got the adhesive separately.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to PopupCamping
My HW276 has same issue, can any of you that have successful solution please post a picture of what you did?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #16

Here's how I did it. The j channel I used was, I believe, 0.875 in, (in the siding area of big box hardware store). I cut it so it hangs longer on both sides a few inches, so it drips away from the camper. I lightly sanded the edges because doing this sometimes leads to brushing it with a shoulder or back. Ouch. I chose to attach it level with the roof and it just drips on whichever side gravity takes it. I only did this on the back side of the camper, where the condensation has always gone.

The back of the j channel (part with punched holes) fits nicely between the roof seal and metal edge of the roof, and doesn't mess with the ability to seal. I trimmed the back of the j channel lengthwise on each end to clear the plastic ends so it could be pushed up. I just pushed it snug up in there and attached. To attach I used a couple screws, one on each side, put into the plastic corner pieces. I pre-drilled a hole after making sure the screw wouldn't interfere with anything, then installed each side. To keep the screw from backing out, I used hot glue on both the front and the back of the screw. I did this before I was 100% committed to this being a permanent solution, and was weary of using a stronger, more permanent adhesive, and figured hot glue could be easily removed if needed. I may change that up some day.

So the screws got the sides in place. This left the middle section sagging. To secure that, I used some camper roof seal. Just a thin amount the length of the j channel, between the j channel and the metal edge. It is very solid on there. I've made several trips, including 2 7-hour drives, and it hasn't budged. This also does not interfere with putting up the tent on that side.

Happy to provide additional pics if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopupCamping View Post
My HW276 has same issue, can any of you that have successful solution please post a picture of what you did?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_082929.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	232668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_080303.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	232669Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_080255.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	44.2 KB