Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2023, 11:12 AM   #1

2020 Rockwood HW277 - Ground Clearance?

We are about to purchase a 2020 Rockwood HW277 but now having doubts getting it into our driveway. Can anyone tell me the ground clearance we have from the water pipes to the ground and the length from the tires to the end of the pipes? If memory serves me, the pipes are the lowest part of the trailer.

Looking to see if getting a ramp would solve this problem or not.
Momma Stegmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Stegmonster View Post
We are about to purchase a 2020 Rockwood HW277 but now having doubts getting it into our driveway. Can anyone tell me the ground clearance we have from the water pipes to the ground and the length from the tires to the end of the pipes? If memory serves me, the pipes are the lowest part of the trailer.

Looking to see if getting a ramp would solve this problem or not.

the backend of the 2010 HW277 i had would hit the sidewalk before lifting over it once it when the tires started up the driveway ramp.... it was not the pipes that hit - it was the stabliizers. once the tires started up the ramp, the stabilizers would clear. we had to place lumber in the road gutter so the tires would lift up sooner and we were able to back the popup into the driveway. there was no issues pulling the popup out - it was only backing in.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #3

If your driveway slopes uphill.. the rear of the trailer will be the problem.
Have a spotter and make sure they know to watch for anything that may scrape.

My spotter has her phone and mine is on speaker

take it slow and gradual turns if possible...
Move the mail box if you have to.... or make it easy to temporary remove it.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #4

Common solution:

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #5

Haha, that’s how I got my Mustang in our steep driveway
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:32 PM   #6

Thank you, I thought about this route but the tires to the camper are further back so we would bottom up before we even reach this point. I think I will try long planks of wood and set them way out into the street to lift the tires in advance before reaching the driveway. Maybe that will work.
Momma Stegmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #7

I had a similar issue at our previous home. I cut as diagonally as I could to maintain clearance of our black pipe going out the drive onto the highway. I waited to install my WDH bars until out of our driveway, either at the school parking lot if headed south or the mandatory semi truck “Stop and check your brakes” spot on top the hill going north.
Eventually, I had enough and bought a trailer axle remounting kit for my brand axle and moved my axle from on top of the springs to under the springs. Commonly incorrectly called an axle flip. That gave me almost 5” more clearance. My tires aged out so I replaced them with the next size up (same wheel diameter) gaining another .4”. I no longer had dragging concerns and would completely hook up my WDH before leaving the drive. It did require a significant change to my WDH height on my truck.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #8

Raising the suspension possible? My Roo's torsion axles have a spacer plate between them and the trailer frame that was necessary for the larger diameter tires fitted at the factory. Nothing more than a 1/4" (?) steel plate with screw holes on the top edge to where the axle used to mount to the frame and another set of holes 4" (?) lower to mount the axle lower. If the plate is cut square the holes drilled accurately the alignment of the wheels doesn't change. Have to raise the ball on the trailer of course.

With a leaf axle like Boomer mentions this can be done by moving the axle below the spring rather than the normal position on top.

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2023, 10:20 PM   #9

I have a 2018 Flagstaff HW27KS, the sister model to yours. I can measure mine tomorrow and let you know.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:24 PM   #10

I do know on ours we had the travel door & the 2 fold out metal entry steps. The clearance on the bottom of the frame that holds the steps was only 8" from the ground, we bottomed out bringing it home for the first time. So, that was my first mod,to remove the steps & add the stepper door. Hopefully as yours is newer you already have the stepper door, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Will measure the rest tomorrow tho!
Old 01-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #11

The measurement from the ground to the bottom of the sewer waste pipe is about 9" (first pic)

There are 2 V brackets that are there to protect the pipes, the distance from the ground to the bottom of the bracket is 8". This seems like the lowest point on mine. Middle pic)

The distance from the tire (edge at the rear) to the end frame (not bumper) is 56"(last pic)

Another low point you might need to consider, is the wheel jack up the front. Even with the wheel off my friend had issues with his hitting his very sloped driveway.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_180141.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	283148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_180229.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	283149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_180328.jpg