Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #1

2022 HW277 awning replacement or upgrade

We just purchased the 2022 HW277 that has the 13' Thule Omnistor 1200 totally manual awning.

Is there an upgrade to it to make it either motorized or a crank?

If not, what is he recommended awning that can replace it that does have a motor or crank?
CFNeumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Why would you want to replace a brand new awning?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #3

Because it is totally manual which makes it a PITA.

We need one with a crank or motor and I don't think that this one is upgradeable
Old 07-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFNeumann View Post
Because it is totally manual which makes it a PITA.

We need one with a crank or motor and I don't think that this one is upgradeable
Never seen any popup with a typical RV awning. They all had bag awnings. Don't think the crankup roof has the structure to support one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #5

I guess bagged awnings do not even have a manual crank either? Bummer ...

2022 Rockwood HW277
2011 Dodge Durango Hemi Crew
Old 07-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #6

Bag awnings unroll. Thats what they are.

Someone posted a picture of one a while back. I think it cost about $1500 that was crank.

The fact is, awnings are a risky proposition for the most part. After waking up at 2+ am and having to run outside to put it up 4 times now because high wind and weather was blowing in I have just resigned myself to only using it when we will be staying at the camper pretty much full time. At the very least I put it up at the end of the day.

Wind will blow that thing up on to your roof and frankly, those roofs will damage easily so it is just not worth the risk to me to have a hole in my roof.

My suggestion get two step stools that fold up and use those to raise/lower as needed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the one above though just FYI it says not to stand on it somewhere but it has worked great for me as a step stool.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:35 AM   #7

the crank/motorized awnings are much heavier than the bag awning. I also looked into these when i had my HW277 and ended up deciding not go with them due to the weight and lack of roof support. I did strap the bag awning down whenever i had it out and if a storm came up, just would ride it out. The awning survived, but we are on the east coast - the one trip i took the popup to the midwest, i stopped putting the awning out - just way too windy.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:49 AM   #8

Thanks Gals! I have pretty much set myself to just keep the awning as is for a decoration. I am not sure if removing the awning altogether would bear much fruit.

I do like your TV

How has it handled pulling campers thru the years?

2022 Rockwood HW277
Old 07-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Gals! I have pretty much set myself to just keep the awning as is for a decoration. I am not sure if removing the awning altogether would bear much fruit.

I do like your TV

How has it handled pulling campers thru the years?

Like yours too

I have been very happy with the way it has performed as a towing vehicle. Of course it handled the HW277 with ease. The hybrid has also been within its abilities, but i feel that camper more. Just sucks down the gas with the hybrid for sure and i do have to watch how i load up stuff/people. Here is my setup just having stopped for lunch after traversing the Eisenhower tunnel on I70 west of Denver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_0622 14.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	276940  
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
We just purchased the 2022 HW277 that has the 13' Thule Omnistor 1200 totally manual awning.

Is there an upgrade to it to make it either motorized or a crank?

If not, what is he recommended awning that can replace it that does have a motor or crank?
I have a 2018 rockwood HW296 that I bought new. The first thing i did was replace the bag awning with a crank model from Carefree of Colorado. It weighs in at 90lbs, over twice the weight of the original bag awning, and it is pricey, well north of $1000.00.
The bag awning are a real PITA, you can never leave them deployed while away from camp.
The lift mechanism doesn't struggle with the extra weight at all, and in 4 yrs I've never had a problem with it. As noted by others on here, the roof is not built to withstand the stresses of the awning deployed without using the using the extension legs. The kit comes with brackets to mount to the side much like the dometic bag awnings. There are 3 mounting plates, one centered and one at each end, so you're going to have to drill some holes and seal them well.
I hope this helps with your decision.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
I have a 2018 rockwood HW296 that I bought new. The first thing i did was replace the bag awning with a crank model from Carefree of Colorado. It weighs in at 90lbs, over twice the weight of the original bag awning, and it is pricey, well north of $1000.00.
The bag awning are a real PITA, you can never leave them deployed while away from camp.
The lift mechanism doesn't struggle with the extra weight at all, and in 4 yrs I've never had a problem with it. As noted by others on here, the roof is not built to withstand the stresses of the awning deployed without using the using the extension legs. The kit comes with brackets to mount to the side much like the dometic bag awnings. There are 3 mounting plates, one centered and one at each end, so you're going to have to drill some holes and seal them well.
I hope this helps with your decision.
Do you have any pictures of what you bought?

mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #12

crank awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35 View Post
Do you have any pictures of what you bought?
hers a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning case.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	278454   Click image for larger version

Name:	open no legs.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	278455   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning partially open.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	278456  
Old 08-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
hers a few pics
what is the length of the awning?

2022 Rockwood HW277
Old 08-29-2022, 07:39 AM   #14

awning

Quote:
what is the length of the awning?
to be honest I don't remember, it was 2 ft shorter than the original. There are mounting brackets for the extension legs that go on the side of the camper much like the existing awning and I was worried it would conflict with the refrigerator grill. It was from carefree of colorado. They do make a larger size close to the original size. It's a tight fit with the curvature of the roof, so i'm not certain the larger size will fit. You can open it a ft or 2 before it before the arm underneath begins to interfere with the door opening, and fully extended you have to fully extend the extension leg on the door side to keep it clear. I hope this helps. For me the bag awning wasn't worth the effort of having to roll it back up every time you went out for the day.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
to be honest I don't remember, it was 2 ft shorter than the original. There are mounting brackets for the extension legs that go on the side of the camper much like the existing awning and I was worried it would conflict with the refrigerator grill. It was from carefree of colorado. They do make a larger size close to the original size. It's a tight fit with the curvature of the roof, so i'm not certain the larger size will fit. You can open it a ft or 2 before it before the arm underneath begins to interfere with the door opening, and fully extended you have to fully extend the extension leg on the door side to keep it clear. I hope this helps. For me the bag awning wasn't worth the effort of having to roll it back up every time you went out for the day.
Very nice awning. You refer to legs but I don't see any in the photos. I hope it comes with them and you use them. I don't want to imagine the stress it would put on that frail, cheap composite side panel with it just hanging out in the air without legs.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #16

awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Very nice awning. You refer to legs but I don't see any in the photos. I hope it comes with them and you use them. I don't want to imagine the stress it would put on that frail, cheap composite side panel with it just hanging out in the air without legs.
Thanks, yes it has extension legs very similar to the dometic awnings.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #17

thanks for posting the followup pics! Sounds like there's some tradeoff with the door which is unfortunate, and I'd expect you WOULD want to use the lower attachment points, so that it's not cantilevered on the roof-side... that's the pro on the bag awning, it never puts torque on the roof-side.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
hers a few pics
Do you happen to know what model from Carefree of Colorado that is?

I have looked at their site and am not seeing anything that looks like that under folding camper or travel trailer section of their awnings.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:

I have looked at their site and am not seeing anything that looks like that under folding camper or travel trailer section of their awnings.

I am also looking. Is it this one?

https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...=79&action=cfg

2022 Rockwood HW277
Old 08-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:

It's the freedom wall mount, it's under the trailer section, the have all the various sizes listed along with the vinyl choices. the specs and technical stuff is pretty detailed. Like I said..they aren't cheap, and they aren't bashful with the shipping charges either.

Tags
awning, replacement, upgrade