Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #1

"22" 2318g Refrig question

We bought a brand new 2022 2318g. We don't have the compartment on the outside to change the fridge from propane, shore or 12v. So I am assuming it is not a 3way fridge? How do I switch fridge from operating on 12v or shore power? Thanks in advance.
Popin-up-RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:37 PM   #2

It sounds like it is 12 volt only. Can you provide the refrigerator model number?

Edit: just found this
Refrigerator
Refrigerator Size
Compact
Refrigerator Power Mode
Electric / Propane
You should have a button that says auto and another that says gas. Gas locks it on propane and auto will switch between the two with AC being the preferred.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Moved thread to the Tent Camper and Popup section since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #4

Not sure on the model but it is a ever chill. I will pop it up tomorrow to get the model. I haven't seen a button anywhere. There is a dial inside the fridge that I can put from 0-7, im assuming that 0 is off..
Old 09-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #5

Why would you do that? He was asking about a refer and posted it in the appliance section.

My question was for bikendan, op types too fast!
Old 09-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Why would you do that? He was asking about a refer and posted it in the appliance section.

My question was for bikendan, op types too fast!
Because the 12v fridge in a popup, will not be the same 12v fridge found in other types of RVs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

We don’t know if it is a 12 volt fridge. Pop up fridges are also found in cabover campers and rpods and any number of trailers thAt have a smaller fridge.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popin-up-RI View Post
Not sure on the model but it is a ever chill. I will pop it up tomorrow to get the model. I haven't seen a button anywhere. There is a dial inside the fridge that I can put from 0-7, im assuming that 0 is off..
Everchill does not make a propane fridge. And lack of the outside compartment with the vents also says 12v only. Which sucks in a popup if you are dry camping or boondocking.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the fast and informative replies! Absolutely does suck for boondocking. Looks like I'll be buying a generator!
Old 09-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

FYI in the pile of paper that you SHOULD have gotten with your new unit there SHOULD be one with the appliance options listed with model and serial number, not to mention a manual for the frig. The option with a serial number next to it is the installed one for your camper.

I just bought a 2022 2318ESP, mostly the same but taller.

Attached is a screen shot of my options list.

Highlife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-19 9.23.34 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	279376  
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #11

Well...bbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlife View Post
FYI in the pile of paper that you SHOULD have gotten with your new unit there SHOULD be one with the appliance options listed with model and serial number, not to mention a manual for the frig. The option with a serial number next to it is the installed one for your camper.

I just bought a 2022 2318ESP, mostly the same but taller.

Attached is a screen shot of my options list.

Highlife
Well, either you have four refrigerators or they should have crossed out three of them.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #12

There's some information on the 2318g fridge, forward to the 1:00 minute of the video

Old 09-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #13

That's a 3 way ammonia absorption refrigerator in the video, not a 12VDC compressor refrigerator. Forest River stopped putting in 3 way refrigertors for 2022 and use a 12VDC only model compressor refrigerator.

This is a big plus over an ammonia absorption refrigerator which sucks in a pop up due to all makers incorrect installation due to a pop ups short profile.

As I recall, to make it boondock ready, Forest River now features a solar panel charging system for the battery since the refrigerator will be drawing them down.

If you boondock, you'll likely want to bring a couple extra 12V batteries to use.

If you use electric sites, this is a huge plus as a compressor refrigerator is much better than an ammonia absorption in a pop up. I had to install a fan kit to get my refrigerator to cool to 40 degrees so if I boondock with my 3 way refrigerator, the fans will drain my battery then the refrigerator will only go up to 50 or 55 degrees which is only good for beverages.

Best thing to do if you boondock, bring a 7 day cooler! Then go buy ice when it melts. Better than fighting a crappy 3 way ammonia piece of crap 1.9CF or 2.5CF refrigerator. I HATE THEM and would love to have a 12V refrigerator instead! Luckily I have a 120VAC compressor refrigerator also which is my main meat refrigator.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
That's a 3 way ammonia absorption refrigerator in the video, not a 12VDC compressor refrigerator. Forest River stopped putting in 3 way refrigertors for 2022 and use a 12VDC only model compressor refrigerator.

This is a big plus over an ammonia absorption refrigerator which sucks in a pop up due to all makers incorrect installation due to a pop ups short profile.

If you use electric sites, this is a huge plus as a compressor refrigerator is much better than an ammonia absorption in a pop up. I had to install a fan kit to get my refrigerator to cool to 40 degrees so if I boondock with my 3 way refrigerator, the fans will drain my battery then the refrigerator will only go up to 50 or 55 degrees which is only good for beverages.

Better than fighting a crappy 3 way ammonia piece of crap 1.9CF or 2.5CF refrigerator. I HATE THEM and would love to have a 12V refrigerator instead! Luckily I have a 120VAC compressor refrigerator also which is my main meat refrigator.
Fix the installation problems and the 1.9 and 2.5CF fridges work just fine, sipping propane, and not running down the battery while dry camping. https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/im-liking-my-a-frame-fridge-104964.html. No solar panels to strain the roof, no need to park in the sun, no need to aim panels on the ground. After fixing the install and adding the fans, both fridges reliably stayed in the 30s range while camping. Opening several times in a few minutes would take into the low 40s, but would fully recover within an hour.

The fan kit you put in sounds like a bad joke. I used 1 computer case fan on the 1.9CF fridge which draws 70ma, and 2 fans on the 2.5CF fridge in the high wall. The 2 fans draw 140ma, or 3.3AH per 24 hour day. Running the Fantastic Fan vent draws more than that. The fans are mounted to the inside of the top fridge grill to blow the hot air out. Inside the larger fridge, I added a Camco D-cell powered fan to even out the cooling. The 2 D-cells run the Camco fridge interior fan for a month.

We spent 4 nights at Twin Lakes, Colorado in August 2020 to test dry camping out. Days were in the 80s, nights in 60s. Batteries dropped less than 0.1V per night meaning we used less than 10% charge/night. This included lights, pump, fridge fans, and Fantastic Fan about 6 hrs/day on low. Stereo is fully cut off (was a big ghost power load in my camper), all lights are LED. I use 2 Costco 210AH 6V golf cart batteries to power the camper for at least 5 nights without recharging or running batteries below 50%.

The 12V compressor fridges do cool faster than a propane fridge, but supplying power at a non-electric campsite is a problem. From the various reviews in these forums, expect the 12V fridge to use at least 50AH per day. Normally takes more than 100 watts of solar panel to keep up with that.

I truly wish Forest River would at least give a choice, I prefer the propane fridge. However, none of this helps the OP who is stuck with the 12V fridge, but wants to dry camp or boondock.

Fred W
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
then 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Actually the '22 2318G that I just traded had a dometic 3 way fridge.

I agree with the fan mods. I ended up putting a Titan fan on mine and it made a huge difference. I also put reflectix on the top vent around the heat sink so that the air was diverted across the coil.
phil435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil435 View Post
Actually the '22 2318G that I just traded had a dometic 3 way fridge.

I agree with the fan mods. I ended up putting a Titan fan on mine and it made a huge difference. I also put reflectix on the top vent around the heat sink so that the air was diverted across the coil.
From what I gathered, early 2022 models still came with the ammonia absorption refrigerator while later models came with the 12VDC compressor refrigerator.

I have the Titan dual 120mm fan kit also. World of difference, making close to compressor performance but if fans die, food goes bad.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
From what I gathered, early 2022 models still came with the ammonia absorption refrigerator while later models came with the 12VDC compressor refrigerator.
I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 09-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, either you have four refrigerators or they should have crossed out three of them.
Sorry for the confusion, here is a wider clip with the sn next to RM2193 a 3-way
in my 2022 2318ESP.

Thanks to the posts on adding a fan, I will be on the lookout for a low power one to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-22 3.50.36 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	279559  
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2318g, question