RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #1

2516G outdoor stove

Hi all,

Looking into a possible purchase of a 2013 2516g. The current owner tells me there is no outdoor stove with the camper, though it has the LP hookups. I was under the impression that all premiers came with the outdoor stove. Is this true, and if so, can a replacement be ordered and how much does this cost?

What’s a fair price for a 2013 2516g in good condition?

What other “accessories” does one expect with the purchase of a used pop-up?

Many thanks

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
Hi all,

Looking into a possible purchase of a 2013 2516g. The current owner tells me there is no outdoor stove with the camper, though it has the LP hookups. I was under the impression that all premiers came with the outdoor stove. Is this true, and if so, can a replacement be ordered and how much does this cost?

Many thanks

Bryan

Bryan,

We paid $13,500 for our brand new 2016: 2516G Rockwood Premier with an AC unit. Ours came with the stove and yes you can purchase a replacement directly from Forest River.

If you do purchase the used pop-up, I would not buy the small grill that comes with the unit. Purchase a 17” or 22” Blackstone Grill and use the LP hook up. The grill is much better. You’ll love it, trust me!

Something else to contemplate is financing a new pop-up in lieu of purchasing a used one. For $150 a month you can be the owner of a brand new pop-up and select the floor lay out and other options as we did. The terms for RVs are typically 10 years, so the monthly payments are relatively inexpensive.

Just some things to think about, good luck!

We love our 2516G!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi all,

Many thanks

Bryan
The 2019/2020 2516g only came with a coleman grill and a cheap cooler. I have better Coleman Grills and Stoves that I bought over the years. I passed on that model because I couldn't get a grill/cooler shelf delete and use the area as actual storage that the prior years had.

Nice model but that storage trunk/grill/cooler feature killed it for me. If I could had got the cooler/grill shelf delete in the storage trunk, it would had been a hard choice between it and my current 2716g.

Your 2013 2516g was before they changed the storage trunk to a shelf for the cooler and grill. Your 2013 came standard (according to my 2013 Brochure) with an outside grill and work table, which I have with mine.

The work table was not put together right so I don't use it. I could fix it witha drill but don't care for all that much. Besides, I don't like all that weight on a fiberglass wall that's prone to hairline cracks. Just waiting for a kid to pull on it or lay on it.

The grill is actually quite expensive when bought a lone and is very nice but it's made to connect to the quick disconnect and it's "BIG". So big I don't have room for it. The spots I have open are for the microwave, TV, Bluray player, and luggage.

I have a Coleman porcelain coated grill and it's great. Its large enough to cook for the whole family and it fits in my dinette storage area. I think it was $80 a little over a decade ago. It uses 1# propane bottle which are fairly cheap as well, which I already have for laterns.

I recommend a standalone Portable Coleman Grill for easy storage and reliability.

I paid $13,500 for my 2019 2716g. It was a lemon and now I have a 2020, but I believe the 2020 cost only went up a bit under $1000.

For a 2013, let NADA tell you as they're fairly close. Looks like a 2013 2516g in average shape should be around $8,000.

What are they asking?

Good luck.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Asking price is 7K OBO. This would be my first pop-up so I'm trying to learn a bunch before I go view it.

The seller tells me its in good condition with everything working as expected, though clearly there is no outside stove. He did state that the previosu owner was a "newbie" and he had to make two minor patch repairs on the canvas.

I can always buy a separate stove and modify the lp source to accept the QD from the camper. Not a deal breaker, but the patch repair makes me wonder.

As a first time buyer, what should I look for when inspecting? What should I ensure comes with the camper? How do I test the accessories and how does one inspect the canvas?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

That sounds like a decent price. We bought a 2017 Flagstaff 625D (same model, different branding to 2516G) in June of this year. We really enjoy it, currently on our fourth camp out in it. We paid too much since at that time the dealers around us could keep them on their lots so they keep raising prices due to high demand. We were debating Between this model and the 2716G.

We opted for this one (625D /2516G) due to its large storage trunk across the front and boy are we glad we did. Our tow vehicle is a 4Runner so storage for packing things is limited. The storage trunk holds an amazing amount of stuff. It’s incredibly handy. There’s a lot of stuff that goes with you camping so unless you have a pickup truck it’s something to consider.

Ours came with the outdoor shelf and bbq. The previous owners also bought the screen room for the awning. The bbq is ok, but nothing special. Not something I’d spend much money on to replace as there’s much better bbqs for less money out there.

Things to watch out for: with the slide out dinette the canvas gets pulled out of the channel along the outer edge. Check that. My Dometic awning isn’t in great shape despite it only being a few years old. I’d unravel it to see its condition. Have them turn on the fridge before you get there (like, hours before) so you can check if it works. If the hot water tank is empty then I’d pull the anode rod out to see if they’ve done the maintenance and upkeep on the hot water tank. If the anode is mostly gone then you may have rust in the tank. Replace the anode every two years to be safe.

Ours had the cassette toilet so if you have that make sure it all works. Make sure the AC blows cold. Light the indoor stove. Turn on the furnace for long enough to get heat blowing from it.

Check for water damage everywhere. Under the seats, in the ceiling etc. closely inspect the canvas for any signs of mold, especially the bunk ends.

Check the tires for tread and dry rot (including the spare). Check the battery age.

That’s about all I can think of right now. Good luck with the purchase.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

Also, look for any swollen or soft spots on the floor especially around the main door area.

Look underneath at the wood for any water spots/damage.

Check the welding on the tongue area.

I have evidence of front flexing on my Flagstaff HW27KS, so check the cabinetry inside that attaches to the front wall, any gaps/separation?

Have a good look at the roof side walls, you might have to move the vinyl to see the inside, look for any swelling of the wood as this could indicate a slow leak in the roof vents/ac/fan.

Check the sealing on all roof corners and all vents/ac/fans. Look for any cracks in sealer that might have let moisture in.

I wouldn't worry too much about what it originally came with and doesn't have now. It's used and you are buying it as is, so focus on what's there. Mine came with the outside grill but honestly I would never probably use it. It's big, bulky and I don't feel comfortable using a super hot grill that close to my camper wall.
As far as price, that's a tricky one! As previously posted NADA is a good tool but pop-ups seem hot right now in my area and are going for a lot more, if you can get one. I bought a 2018 HW27KS in March for $13000, which was a really good deal. Good luck and keep us posted on if you buy it
Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi all,

Many thanks

Bryan

IDK whether the outdoor stove is an option on that model trailer but I've seen the tin box and trust me look for a stand alone Camp Chef or Blackstone. Read the reviews online and check for videos on YT, I have a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner with griddle and grill box and love it. Doesn't get much more versatile and powerful than this. Now is the time to buy, many places have the stove and all accessories on sale at 1/2 price.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

All great advice.
I will compose an inspection checklist with the information above.
What are the deal-breakers that would make me want to run.
Looking at NADA it seems listed below market value. This always makes me wonder...

What are good questions to ask the seller to help judge use, abuse, history, etc.

Does this unit also have an outdoor heated shower?

What should I look for in the toilet/shower casette?

How is it drained?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #9

For the 2019 2716g, I paid $13,500 which included the air conditioner and a heat strip in the air conditioner. With the 2716g everything is pretty much standard as the dual propane tanks and hanging pantry and wardrobe, outside grill and table, and the such.

Only thing not included was the air conditioner.

The 2516g was about $500 cheaper if I chose that camper instead.

The HW276 was about $700 more than my 2716g.

I asked why the HW276 was only $500 more, mainly because it didn't have a jackknife sofa, just a bench seat and that the Highwall slide outs were smaller than mine.

NADA did have a price of around $7K used for the 2013 2516g, but it was for a low retail which would be a camer below average shape. The missing grill and table are so insignificant. The grill by itself is only a bit over $200 and hardly anyone uses them. Not many feel comfortable (myself included) having that much heat on the side of the camper by vinyl material. I've seen pictures of others melting their tent with the grill.

I would had considered the HW276 ( I have to have another sitting area other than dinette) but it wouldn't fit into most garages and it's beds sat to high for my wife and daughter to reach. I was actually hesitant about the length of the 2716g, even though height was ok, fitting in a garage. When the time comes to move, I'll find a house/garage that will fit it.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

Also check in the refrigerator outside access for soft, swallon flooring. My 2019 had it which was obviously from all the leaks the roof had. I thought the lifted floor was unusual.

Check that the roof fan is caulked good or this will leak. As others mention look for soft spots in the floor and look for raised spots in the floor from the particle wood swelling.

Obviously check that all appliances operate including hot water heater. Check all lighting and the brakes, and inspect all under floor wiring and propane gas lines.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #11

Whats the best way to test the electric brakes on the camper?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #12

Get the brakes inspected. You can test them with the TV but only an inspection will tell you their condition. Make sure you have a brake controller installed otherwise you can’t activate them.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #13

The operational brake test is to be rolling about 10-20 mph, with everything hooked up. Move the manual brake lever on the brake controller to max. You should feel the trailer pull hard (evenly) on the tow vehicle, perhaps even skidding the trailer tires. That tells you everything in the system is working correctly.

You can pull the emergency breakaway and measure current/voltage at the brakes without hooking up, or measure current/voltage but that won't tell you that they are adjusted properly, or tell you that the brake controller and wiring, including trailer connection are working properly.

Ask when the bearings were last repacked. How? Ideally, they were hand repacked in the past 2 years, which means the brake system was likely checked then.

It trailer tires are original, they are past life's end. Check the tire date code, or just plan on replacing with Carlisles. Recommended trailer tire replacement is at 5 years, certainly no longer than 6.

Propane/CO detector is past end of life (5 years, usually a sticker on the case). Will also need replacement if not already done ($70).

Has a battery cut-off switch been installed? If not, and pop-up is not stored plugged in, battery is worthless. Plan on new one.

Make owner set up in your presence, show you all systems are working. Then fold down. Demo will take an hour+. Don't take less time.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door