RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #1

282 TESP Toy Hauler

Hello,

I just purchased a 2018 Forest River Rockwood 282 TESP Extreme Sports tent trailer with a toy hauler.

In Ontario they are very rare. I am curious whether anyone has had much experience with them and might be able to offer any insight or advice. I've already had to replace the water pump but otherwise it seems to be in good shape.

Thanks

Jamie
Ontario Canada
Gipetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipetto View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a 2018 Forest River Rockwood 282 TESP Extreme Sports tent trailer with a toy hauler.

In Ontario they are very rare. I am curious whether anyone has had much experience with them and might be able to offer any insight or advice. I've already had to replace the water pump but otherwise it seems to be in good shape.

Thanks

Jamie

Ontario Canada
I had a 2015 Flagstaff HW31SCTH or something like that. I'm having a brain fart. It was the land yachts of popups. Like a 70s Caddy. It towed smooth but too much for one person.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Dixon's Last Resort

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipetto View Post
Hello,

Thanks

Jamie
Ontario Canada
Welcome to the forum!

I've got the 2014 Fleetwood ver. of your camper.

I've Only come across a few issues I'll share:

- lack of storage when hauling 2 machines. My 2 big ARCTIC CAT atv's take up the whole deck, so no room for gear. I've had to get creative & add additional storage capabilities by adding a rear hitch w/cargo carrier & box + a front hitch mount w/ another box. I also added a topper to my truck.

- when loaded with machines - she's front heavy so I added air bags to my truck suspension to compliment my WDH (weight distribution hitch)

- add a sway bar control arm - I found mine can get a little "silly" when fully loaded and tends to push thru corners - my REESE took care of it.

- watch tire wear! If they are under-inflated (less than 40psi) it will tear up the inner edge. They are OFF-ROAD tires - not typical chinese blow-out specials. I run mine at 55psi and rotate every yr - no issues since

- oh and I added a different set of removable steps. the factory ones were bent by the previous owner and not straightened properly. These new ones are awesome.

- take a step ladder! They slide under the ATV's and you'll find it's handy!

You'll find all sorts of little "mods" as the more you venture out with it. I love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carrier2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	238277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_113715902_HDR.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	238278   Click image for larger version

Name:	laborday.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	238279   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_211405424.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	238280   Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	640.7 KB
ID:	238282  

cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks Very much. Great looking rig. Good advice.
Gipetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #6

2015 HW 31 scth new to us

My wife and I just purchased (land yacht of pop ups) used 5 times by previous owner, and stored in out of elements. Still has some issues that weíre working on which are mostly the same issues that we read about here. Our intentions are to take it places and haul our road bike which is right at 800 lbs. I can understand how two ATVs use up most of your space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B4BA604-3D7C-4D94-B94B-17D5EEF7454D.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	238418  
Aaronh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh17 View Post
My wife and I just purchased (land yacht of pop ups) used 5 times by previous owner, and stored in out of elements. Still has some issues that weíre working on which are mostly the same issues that we read about here. Our intentions are to take it places and haul our road bike which is right at 800 lbs. I can understand how two ATVs use up most of your space.
Same unit I had. I had to look to see if it was mine. Hah.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:09 AM   #8

Screen door doesnít fit exactly right. Sort of have to muscle it in place. Electric lift has issues that I am trying to work out. The electrical socket mounted in the roof for the air conditioner is a mess up from factory, they cut the hole out far too big for the screw hole pattern. Only one of the three screws catches into the wood. Had it not been for the previous owner keeping it in the dry Iím sure this roof would be pretty shot. I plan to put a coat or two of some severe weather paint on the OSB underneath and caulk around the frame rails. Looking forward to any info that we can get. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh17 View Post
Screen door doesnít fit exactly right. Sort of have to muscle it in place. Electric lift has issues that I am trying to work out. The electrical socket mounted in the roof for the air conditioner is a mess up from factory, they cut the hole out far too big for the screw hole pattern. Only one of the three screws catches into the wood. Had it not been for the previous owner keeping it in the dry Iím sure this roof would be pretty shot. I plan to put a coat or two of some severe weather paint on the OSB underneath and caulk around the frame rails. Looking forward to any info that we can get. Thanks!
Check the manual regarding the OSB. Mine was already treated with something.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #10

Treatment

I havenít looked in the manual, they probably did spray it. Doesnít seem to be working in a few areas where the edges are exposed though! Thanks!

Tags
toy hauler