Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

296HW Power Question

Bought our first camper a couple months ago (been raining every weekend since) and have been trying to iron out the kinks before our first trip this spring. The power seems to work fine if I plug in at the house (using a 30->15 dogbone), but I get nada with the battery alone. No lights, no radio, no nothing.

Is this how its supposed to work? I understand no a/c, no microwave, but I expected lights. If it should work, what should I be checking? Is there a switch somewhere that directs to battery only? The battery is charged as it operates the winch with no problem. I'm assuming the inverter is fine if the plug in power works.

I'm pretty handy mechanically, but I'm an idiot with electricity.

Thanks in advance!
FriedOkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

Check the ground connection to the frame of the camper mine came off last year and I had no battery power
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Check the resettable circuit breaker and pushing the black reset button.
It should be tucked up along the A-frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

As soon as it quits raining I'll look for this. I've hit the reset button on the inverter, but that doesn't do it.

How does one test the inverter? I'm assuming this could be my problem. it's not required for converting plug in power just the batt power, right? This is where my electrical ignorance is apparent.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedOkra View Post
As soon as it quits raining I'll look for this. I've hit the reset button on the inverter, but that doesn't do it.

How does one test the inverter? I'm assuming this could be my problem. it's not required for converting plug in power just the batt power, right? This is where my electrical ignorance is apparent.
Converter changes 120 v to 12 v. Inverter changes 12 v to 120 v. Check if your inverter is powered with a multi-meter. Do you have a battery disconnect switch? If so is it on? I do not think your lights are 120 volt powered by the inverter BUT I have been proven wrong. Lights are USUALLY powered by 12 v.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Thx ... how do I check the inverter with a multi-meter? I don't see and wasn't told about a batt disconnect; where would I look and what would it look like?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Team

This thread will explain the 12 volt DC resettable circuit breaker and where it possibly may be located. This is the problem a lot of times.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

This thread may help explain the differences between converter and inverter. Are you sure your pop-up has an inverter?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Your pup has a CONverter, not an INverter, unless a previous owner installed one.

All RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters.

Confused about what button you pushed. Please post a pic of it.

Did you buy used or new? Pups don't come with battery disconnect switches unless a previous owner installed one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:

Good advice from above. They know of what they speak. I had to assume you had an inverter as you said you rest it.

IF you had an Inverter it would be required for supplying 120 v plug in power. goog luck.

PS. You do have a battery hooked up right?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your pup has a CONverter, not an INverter, unless a previous owner installed one.

All RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters.

Confused about what button you pushed. Please post a pic of it.

Did you buy used or new? Pups don't come with battery disconnect switches unless a previous owner installed one.
Roger that. Unlikely to have been modified by previous. I purchased used at a Camping World (not my finest decision). The reset button was on the converter, which is at the floor in the corner ... looks stock.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I could tinker with it now ... but rain.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Team

The OP has a 2014 HW popup.
Back then they don't come with a factory inverter, only a factory converter.
Only if a previous owner installed an inverter, would it have one.

I did just found out that FR is installing inverters in some of their 2019 popups.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Good advice from above.

PS. You do have a battery hooked up right?
Certainly appears to be. The winch works and I don't see any disconnected cables or wires.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This thread will explain the 12 volt DC resettable circuit breaker and where it possibly may be located. This is the problem a lot of times.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

This thread may help explain the differences between converter and inverter. Are you sure your pop-up has an inverter?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html
Thanks. Lots to read here (and hopefully comprehend); I better get started.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #14

Ok, finally had the opportunity to take a look and I did find the switch shown in the attached photo, but there is no reset button that I can see or feel. I'm afraid to remove it from the frame as I can't tell if it is a free nut or tack welded as it is inside the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180317_111757260.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	165399  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, finally had the opportunity to take a look and I did find the switch shown in the attached photo, but there is no reset button that I can see or feel. I'm afraid to remove it from the frame as I can't tell if it is a free nut or tack welded as it is inside the frame.
If it does have a reset button AND they put the red cover on correctly, then the reset button "should" be on the north end (12 o'clock position) of the circuit breaker looking at your pic, and using this one as a guide in comparison to which side of the red cover is hinged. You can also see the small half moon shaped cut out for the reset button on the cover.

You could also possibly have to pull the red cover back just a hair in case it is over the button. I would check both ends of the cover for this, in case they installed the red cover backwards and it's possibly covering up the button.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #16

Welp, no button. I took it off, pulled the cover away form all sides ... nothing. Same brand: "SHORTSTOP", but it says 12V ... 30A, not 24VDC. If there is no way to reset, do I have to test for current across the poles? I think I have a meter ... will have to find it.

If I buy a new one ... is there a best option?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #17

When you find your meter, set it for DC Volts and put the common (black) lead on a good ground or the negative battery post and check for 12-14 volts (with the red lead) on both of those studs.

If you need to replace the breaker, those screws are probably self-tapping.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #18

296HW Power Question

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but if you have a fold down galley typically there is a pressure switch that cuts off the power as a safety mechanism underneath it to the components you mentioned, check that!

In my pup (Rockwood Premier 2516g) the galley has to be up in its place to get the power. If its down it shuts the power off.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Welp, no button. I took it off, pulled the cover away form all sides ... nothing. Same brand: "SHORTSTOP", but it says 12V ... 30A, not 24VDC. If there is no way to reset, do I have to test for current across the poles? I think I have a meter ... will have to find it.

If I buy a new one ... is there a best option?
Your's says 12-volt dc because you have only one battery. It may not have a switch and very well be automatic. My 56 DeSoto had an automatic on the head lights. YEA, YEA, YEA. Many years ago. Yes, check for continuity across the poles. Do this with a multimeter on OHMs with no power applied. OR check voltage to ground on each pole with power applied.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Roger that. Unlikely to have been modified by previous. I purchased used at a Camping World (not my finest decision). The reset button was on the converter, which is at the floor in the corner ... looks stock.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I could tinker with it now ... but rain.
You say you pushed a 'reset' on the converter. Does it by chance look something like this silver knob:

If so, then it's not a reset. That's the battery disconnect. My Flagstaff TT has one like that. It cuts off power from the battery to the distribution panel, so everything on the 12v side of the distribution panel doesn't work on battery. They work when powered directly from the converter, but not on battery alone. Things that are wired directly to the battery (like my slide, or your winch) still work, but anything powered via the distribution panel isn't.

The disconnect works like an emergency stop button. Pushed in kills the power, it needs to be pulled out to provide power.

P.S. Also note, if this is what you have, pushing it in to disconnect the battery, also disconnects the battery from the converter, so your battery doesn't get charged when plugged in if this is pushed in.

Tags
power