RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

30 amp vs 15 amp

My pop up (2514g) has a 30 amp plug for plugging into shore power. When I'm at home I use a 15 amp adapter so I can plug into a regular 3 prong house plug. We haven't used a serviced camp site yet but most are the 30 amp type plug I'm assuming. I'm just curious as to what in my popup can't be used with a 15 amp connection, if anything. Or, what can't I plug into an outlet on the popup with it plugged into 15 amp service? It doesn't have an air conditioner, just a small 3-way fridge, furnace, water heater, water pump, and lights/fan.
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
...far N Georgia!

probably 'everything' is available not matter what power/amperage source you are using, but your BREAKER will determine, when it trips, if you are trying to 'use too much'...

there's nothing to keep you from using anything and everything on 15amp power - but once a breaker trips, you start to understand that you might be trying to use too much AT THE SAME TIME. It may work fine for the air conditioner, and yet when you add the microwave, you suddenly lose power - either the Shore Power outlet's breaker has tripped, or one of yours has.

No matter the 'size' of RV, even the 'big boys', limited power works exactly the same way. I'm even on 'limited' power when only running my generator, since it only provides up to 50-55 amps, rather than the 'normal' RV park or Campground 50amp power supply, which is actually TWO 50amps hot legs, for up to 100amps of usable power.

We also sometimes make use of the 'household' 15amp outlet, when nothing else is available, if nothing more than to allow us to simply watch tv, use the microwave, or trickle charge the batteries. If I try to do 'too many' of these things at the same time, I will more-than-likely trip the home's outlet, since I am heating up the wiring to the point that the 15amp breaker trips.

It's all about electrical management - staying in attention to 'what' you have to be power at any given time. Breakers are there to protect the wiring from overheating, but to also remind you that you have only 'so much' power available.

If you have a 30amp Shore Cord, and Main Panel, then you can most likely run any and all you have to power all at the same time with no problems, when you are on 30amp Rv service.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 110k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

I think everything will run. AC wont run for me on it.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

As others have said it depends on what you are using.

My A/C says it runs 20 amps on its own and I have a total 30 amp available.

Odds are just plugging a few things in you won't hit the 15 amp but add one big thing to that mix and it will probably shut you down

If you are curious what you are pulling there is a device called a "Kill-A-Watt" that you can plug in to the receptacle ahead of your adapted shore power plug and see the total. Of course get whatever style plug type you need for your country:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-Internatio...gateway&sr=8-4
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

AC was always the item that tripped my breaker on 15a (or even 20A) circuit in my PUP.

If you don't have A/C I'm going to bet you won't have a problem unless you start adding high consumption items like microwaves, toaster ovens, etc.

Some GFCI outlets (on your source) don't deal real well with RV's. I'd never experienced this problem until a couple of weeks ago. If you're tripping the GFCI on your home then you may need to swap that out for another type of outlet (please consult local electrical code).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
My pop up (2514g) has a 30 amp plug for plugging into shore power. When I'm at home I use a 15 amp adapter so I can plug into a regular 3 prong house plug. We haven't used a serviced camp site yet but most are the 30 amp type plug I'm assuming. I'm just curious as to what in my popup can't be used with a 15 amp connection, if anything. Or, what can't I plug into an outlet on the popup with it plugged into 15 amp service? It doesn't have an air conditioner, just a small 3-way fridge, furnace, water heater, water pump, and lights/fan.
Since you don't have an A/C, you're in pretty good shape as far as everything running on a 15 amp circuit. The only thing you may have to worry about is if you have an electric element in your water heater. Those draw a pretty good current, so if you were running it and then turned on a coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave, etc., you could trip the breaker.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Since you have no A/C you are way ahead of the game.

As with ANY 15a source, you'll only be able to draw a maximum of 15a total.
So you wouldn't be able to have an auxiliary space heater on and try to use a blow dryer at the same time.

You should be good with the fridge on 120v and possibly the water heater. (if 120v equipped) The converter that changes 120v to 12v for your lights won't use a tremendous amount of current to keep the battery charged if you've not depleted the battery prior to plugging in.

There are lots of current draw charts on the 'net that will tell you how much current different devices draw. As long as when added up, they are below 15a, you are golden.

Also... while you didn't mention it... make sure you are using a cord (extension or otherwise) that will carry 15a. Many folks tend to use a 100' extension cord because their R/V is in the back 40 and forget about the loss in an inadequate cord.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info! Water heater is LP. Forgot to mention my electric heated mattresses.
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
llr

Without details on the mattress it is hard to say but I highly doubt it is an issue
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #10

In this situation Id use gas for water heat and fridge. Id like to be where you are headed and needed a heated matress!!!! Hot inn GA!
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #11

OP !! 30 amp. NO A/C NO MICROWAVE. Should be able to run everything just fine. Hair dryer and a toaster at the same time ? Questionable.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #12

Use anything you like. When you get to 15A and go over your house breaker will trip. Popup AC might not work on 15A and if it does anything else may trip the 15A breaker the extension cord is on.
Many people that only have 115V AC outlet available in their garage do this.
No harm will be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote