Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #1

4 bike hitch rack

Has anyone tried putting a 4 bike hitch mounted rack on the back of a pup? I thinking it would take some frame stiffening to add a receiver that could handle that kind of weight.
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

I have never seen a pop-up that I thought could carry that load on the bumper and most would probably be too low to add a frame mounted receiver. I have seen bikes mounted on top and there are probably some racks made for that purpose. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

I hear that you can’t put a bike rack on the back a lot and honestly don’t understand why? Just weird up supports from the frame to the bumper. We used to double tow tow stacked hobie cats behind our tent trailer all the time. I understand tongue weight is a concern on lighter pop ups. But on our HW 296 we are almost 400 pounds of tongue weight throwing a bike rack and a couple of bikes on the back may drop at let’s say 100 pounds still no concern. I could be wrong. That’s just my thought
Itwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

it may throw off the weight distribution with that much weight added to the back. if you lighten the tongue weight too much, you may see more sway issues. you would be better off putting the bikes on the roof or on the front of the popup or in the bed of a truck.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Team

The frame on many PUPs is not strong enough to support the weight. The torque added to the frame by a bike rack with 4 bikes can bend the frame. Yes you can reinforce the entire frame, but then you will have other problems.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I carried my bikes on the roof of the pup.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekskp View Post
Has anyone tried putting a 4 bike hitch mounted rack on the back of a pup? I thinking it would take some frame stiffening to add a receiver that could handle that kind of weight.
I have a frame mounted bike rack in the rear of my HW296. Clearance isn't an issue as it sits well above the piping for the drains. It's not the added weight you have to worry about. Most bike racks have a lot of slop built into them and they will bounce quite a bit when you go over a bump. So either buy a quality bike rack or secure the rack so there is no movement.
I was curious too about what it did to the hitch weight so I bought a larger scale and did some measurements. With 2-6 volt deep cycle batteries, 2 full propane bottles and all my gear stowed my hitch weight came in at 430 lbs. Next I mounted the bike rack and hung 2- 5 gallon buckets full of water(approx 80lbs) at the furthest place on the rack and the new hitch weight was 385 lbs. If you're taking bikes, stow all your luggage, coolers etc to the front to add some tongue weight back.
Moving the 2 5 gallon buckets to the front of the trailer added 35lbs of tongue weight.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
I have a frame mounted bike rack in the rear of my HW296. Clearance isn't an issue as it sits well above the piping for the drains. It's not the added weight you have to worry about. Most bike racks have a lot of slop built into them and they will bounce quite a bit when you go over a bump. So either buy a quality bike rack or secure the rack so there is no movement.

I was curious too about what it did to the hitch weight so I bought a larger scale and did some measurements. With 2-6 volt deep cycle batteries, 2 full propane bottles and all my gear stowed my hitch weight came in at 430 lbs. Next I mounted the bike rack and hung 2- 5 gallon buckets full of water(approx 80lbs) at the furthest place on the rack and the new hitch weight was 385 lbs. If you're taking bikes, stow all your luggage, coolers etc to the front to add some tongue weight back.

Moving the 2 5 gallon buckets to the front of the trailer added 35lbs of tongue weight.

I have an extra 100-150lb of TW to play with so I would love adding weight to the back of the trailer. I was wondering if anyone has tried to strengthen the gram to support the bike rack. I did carry them this year in the roof and they catch all the wind, add to TW and are a pain to load and unload. The hitch pin with my rack is designed to keep it from bouncing so that is not a problem. I would think there would be significant welding needed to strengthen the frame and to attach a receiver tube. Doesn’t sound like it has been tried much so I guess I stay to the roof.
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
Any photos of how you mounted it to your tt
Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

I am trying to figure out the same thing - only how to carry 2 bikes. I have an A-frame. The dealer said there is too much sway on the back and recommended one that hooks over an electric jack (another story). I’m also going to check out racks mounted on the front of the car - any thoughts on that?
IdahoKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #11

Pop rack

I put info in an earlier post. Do not do it! I spent $250 in steel and braces, welded a 2" receiver hitch under bumper on the back of mine w/ supports welded under the trailer. Using a Yakima 3 bike rack($400), watched my bikes bouncing higher than my AC unit as I drove down the road. Scary! The single axle does not give the needed stability and the frame is not strong enough for that much weight leveraged behind the camper. I stopped and put pool noodles between all bikes w/ about 10 bungees holding bikes together. To test my welds, I put a floor jack under the hitch and was able to lift the trailer w/o any flex. Same set-up behind my current tandem axle, Bikes do not move. Maybe the rack that mounts on the tongue of the trailer A-Frame would work.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I put info in an earlier post. Do not do it! I spent $250 in steel and braces, welded a 2" receiver hitch under bumper on the back of mine w/ supports welded under the trailer. Using a Yakima 3 bike rack($400), watched my bikes bouncing higher than my AC unit as I drove down the road. Scary! The single axle does not give the needed stability and the frame is not strong enough for that much weight leveraged behind the camper. I stopped and put pool noodles between all bikes w/ about 10 bungees holding bikes together. To test my welds, I put a floor jack under the hitch and was able to lift the trailer w/o any flex. Same set-up behind my current tandem axle, Bikes do not move. Maybe the rack that mounts on the tongue of the trailer A-Frame would work.

So my TT has tandem axles. Would I be correct in assuming it would be OK to put on it?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

Bike hitch

I have mine mounted on a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame. I do not trust the RV bumpers that much. Most are rated for 300 lb. I would check w/ FR for your model. If you already have your spare mounted on the rear bumper w/ bracket that is around 65 lb. Leaves 235 lb., the bike rack puts a fair amount of leverage on it. Especially, if boondocking over rough roads. I would try it and check for any movement. The RV bumpers are thin metal. They also sell brackets that reinforce the bumper to frame connection. I used these w/ a bolt on receiver hitch for 6 months, no problem. Then welded square bar triangle and receiver hitch on. I have front suspension "hard tail" bikes, total weight w/ 3 bikes and rack is 145 lb.. If you have 4 full suspension bikes,I would say no.
Sorry if I am cautious, I have seen rear bumpers twisted where bikes are dragging and broken bike racks. I switched to a KUAT rack for 2 bikes, love it.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

Just came back from Mackinaw and the guy who pulled into the campsite across from us had 4 bikes on a bumper mount on his trailer (2 axel) and was telling me how it came apart. When I checked it out the welds from the frame to the bumper had completely broken off on one side and the whole thing was sort of twisted and hanging by the other side. You could see how thin the frame and the welding was on the part that was hanging. I wouldn't do it unless there was a LOT of extra bracing put in to hold it on. He did have a spare tire mount which came with the trailer. I made some rails and a slider carriage to hold our bikes in the cap of our truck which has worked great. Keeps them out of the weather and dry and with the slider makes them easy to get out. Made the slider out of electrical conduit and a couple pieces of wood and some clamps. Used a fork clamp to attach the bike to the slider. That was the most expensive part. Rest can be bought for less than the cost of a lunch.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #15

This is what we use. Very easy to load. With the help of the wife, we have bikes on and off with in 5 min. It does hold up to 4. Its the Pro Rac system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150622_184755.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	183693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150623_185109.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	183694  

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekskp View Post

I installed a rack on top of my PUP, Yakima makes them. Then I bought the brackets to tow 4 bicycles. We also had enough room and roof weight available to put a couple of lightweight kayaks beside them. Awesome setup and very sturdy.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #17

So I spoke to forestriver / Rockwood manufacturing today. They said the official company stance is “No bumpers mounted ANYTHING” from pop ups to 5th wheels. I pointed out how many 5th wheels I see towing boats etc. they said yeah we know however the official word in no. So when people say you can’t put a hitch on a pop up remind them that holds true on all their recreational trailers. It will void the warranty on any frame they make.

Tongue Mounted racks are ok they did say.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploreco View Post
This is what we use. Very easy to load. With the help of the wife, we have bikes on and off with in 5 min. It does hold up to 4. Its the Pro Rac system.

That looks like a really cool rack
Old 09-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #19

I did put a swagman 4-bike sleeve-hitch mounted rack on the back of a Coleman Utah (much like the FR 2514G). 4 bikes unbalanced the rig, dangerously so. (I had to stop and move 2 to the top of the pass through storage box). I tried first having the four bikes on the car hitch but this left too little room between the bikes and the jack).
I settled on the pro-rac, pictured earlier which worked well. I probably have all the parts for it, if you are near MD.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #20

Why not use a duel hitch extender and use a regular 2" hitch mounted bike rack? That's the way I've been hauling mine for years with no problem.
Shawn0342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, hitch