Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

A/C Dilemma

I realize portable vs roof mount units have been discussed many times, however I'm reaching a crossroads that I feel input from the forum members would be helpful. I have a 2008 Viking with the 12 foot box and a roof air cond unit. It works great. I have noticed over the past two years the roof starting to sag and water standing around the A/C unit. Long story short the A/C gasket was bad and I have a soft spot between the A/C unit and the vent in the roof. This winter I'm going to tackle the roof rebuild while it is still a relatively small area in need of repair. The roof has always flexed a lot with the A/C unit up their. It was dealer installed when we bought it new. My thought was to eliminate the extra weight on the roof and put a portable A/C unit in. I was thinking 14K btu with double vent and drain which I could route all out the bottom of the camper through one of the storage areas. Or do I reinforce the roof and eliminate the possibility of having water leak into the roof by putting aluminum trim in the hole in which the A/C unit mounts. You would think this would be an easy question to answer, but I'm just kinda stumped. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2008 Viking 2308ST

"Even a bad day camping is better than a good day at work"
Crazy4campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

We used a "portable AC" unit in our 5th wheel, worked really well with our 1 roof/ducted unit.
Floor space will be your biggest problem, ours was at least 8" wide by 12" deep, a 1400btu will be bigger.

ab&jb
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Floor space would be a bit if an issue, however the bigger problem would be transporting upright. 22" under the bunks when folded down and only about 21" under the tonneau cover on truck. Leaning towards rebuilding and continuing to use roof unit. Thanks

2008 Viking 2308ST

"Even a bad day camping is better than a good day at work"
Crazy4campin is offline   Reply With Quote