Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

AC Question

Have a 2015 hw276, camping this week and the outside temp was about 90+. Had the AC on max bit the pup really never had a problem. We cleaned the filters but no luck. Thinking it was the power pole from cg. + just being at those temps. Does anyone know besides adding gizmos what I could do?
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

I assume you mean that the RV never cooled down. Of course the temps being 90+ºF outside had a lot to do with it as would your location and if there was any shade.

Did the air coming out of the returns seem to be cool like it should be? If so, then adding Gizmos is probably your best bet.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Gizmos and Reflectix for the windows are about it for solutions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I assume you mean that the RV never cooled down. Of course the temps being 90+ºF outside had a lot to do with it as would your location and if there was any shade.

Did the air coming out of the returns seem to be cool like it should be? If so, then adding Gizmos is probably your best bet.
Air at the unit was kinda cold. Seems like it was colder last year but prolly not.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Team

You can check it with a thermometer. The return air should be about 15ºF colder than the intake air after it's been running a while. While you're there, you should also check for any air leaks between the intake and return. That will greatly affect the cooling ability of the unit.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

Make sure the unit didn't freeze up also.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Reflectix in the bunk ends makes a big difference. I have pugs, but I have not yet used them. Shade or just some shade makes a huge difference in itself.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Gizmos and Reflectix cooled mine tremendously. I read a lot spent the money and tried it. Amazing the difference it made for my 1 year old taking naps during the day.
lakecumberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Kimna. I have a low profile a/c unit on mine and it tends to freeze up and will not blow much air. I have yet to use it in direct sunlight which might help thaw it out as it works. All my use tends to be under trees with shade. I will have to lower the thermostat to have it cycle on and off more so that it has a chance to thaw. Very frustrating as my older more common unit worked very well and never had a problem.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Kimna. I have a low profile a/c unit on mine and it tends to freeze up and will not blow much air. I have yet to use it in direct sunlight which might help thaw it out as it works. All my use tends to be under trees with shade. I will have to lower the thermostat to have it cycle on and off more so that it has a chance to thaw. Very frustrating as my older more common unit worked very well and never had a problem.

Restricted air " intake or exhaust" flow will cause freeze up.

Frost sensor may have fallen off or is faulty.

Have you tried to open the quick cool dump feature?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

We were camping in southern Ohio a couple of years ago when it was very hot and humid. Our air was working well until I turned it down. It began to freeze up, and actually froze solid because the condensation froze when the compressor was cycling. Lesson learned: if it is very hot and humid, leave the air on max and the blower on high!
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
We were camping in southern Ohio a couple of years ago when it was very hot and humid. Our air was working well until I turned it down. It began to freeze up, and actually froze solid because the condensation froze when the compressor was cycling. Lesson learned: if it is very hot and humid, leave the air on max and the blower on high!
That is very unusual; normally the best settings for "hot and humid" is to set the thermostat for 10 degrees below outside air temp up to 100 degrees and leave it at 90 for temps above that. Set the blower on FAN or HIGH.

The air conditioner MUST cycle to not freeze up in high humidity so the water will drain and not freeze on the cold coils. Once the camper's interior air is "dry", you can walk the temp back down some.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote