Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #1

Adding a/c with heat strip recommendations

Good morning, I’m about to purchase a Rockwood freedom 2318g. It does not have an a/c unit which I must have. I need recommendations for installation and make/model to purchase. Is this best done by a service center or is it an easy diy project? What cost associated with service center install vs self install?
Thanks
Jimbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #2

I don't have an answer to your installation question, but I suggest that you consider an A/C unit with heat pump capabilities instead of heat strips. The heat pump will give you at least twice the heat as heat strips for the same amperage. We have a heat pump in our 32-foot Sunseeker and it keeps it warm down to 40 F just fine. I switch to the propane furnace at 40 F because below that the heat pump has to periodically stop heating to defrost itself.

One consideration for DIY installation is that the A/C unit weighs over 100 pounds so getting it on the roof is a challenge.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

If you have the tools and ability then you could do it yourself. Assuming yours has the 'button' thing on the inside roof that is the center of the framed AC opening and the outside plug hole on the bottom part of the body then its partially done for you.

You just cut out the square hole that the roof button is at the center of, drill out a larger round hole for the plug to pass through the roof sidewall. The rest is bolt tightening, wire running.

Coleman Mach 8 low profile is a nice piece of equipment. Mach 5 is about 8 DB louder. One thing to be aware of... they will be LOUD on your roof. its unavoidable. If you want quiet, look for decibel ratings on the ones you are interested in.

Heat strips only warm the air. They compliment a furnace. You would only use it by itself if its in the mid to high 50's or 60's.

How to Video:

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #4

Essentially useless.

I had a "heat strip" on my roof mounted AC unit on my popup. 1500 watts the same heat as a hair dryer. No one I know heats their trailer with a hair dryer but they're less than $10 at Walmart...

-- Chuck
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I added heat strip to my Coleman Mach VIII low profile. I use it all the time in lieu of propane if I have shore power. In a smaller camper, which I assume Jimbeau has due to the section of forum he posted in, the 1748 watt heat strip actually works great. It is slower than heating with propane, but once temp is up it maintains it nicely. And no off/on sounds from furnace, steady low fan sound. Chuck, maybe it didn't work well in your pop up due to tent sides/lack of insulation. In my hard side TT it works very well. Until I did a late Fall boondock trip this year, I never even used the propane furnace.

And a word about heat pumps. Popular in areas of country that don't go below 40 degrees often, because lower than that, heat pumps do not work.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #6

I added a 2nd ac to my trailer. The roof vent was pre-wired. If you have a pre-wired roof vent and a way to get the ac on the roof, then install is pretty simple and straightforward. One thing I would suggest is when you take the old roof vent out, seal all the sides of the opening, or your ac is going to go straight into your ceiling. I didn't do this when installing and had to go back and do it after the ac was in. Way harder. I considered the heat strip, but after hearing others reviews, I decided against it because I have a fireplace in my rv.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau View Post
Good morning, I’m about to purchase a Rockwood freedom 2318g. It does not have an a/c unit which I must have. I need recommendations for installation and make/model to purchase. Is this best done by a service center or is it an easy diy project? What cost associated with service center install vs self install?
Thanks
We had a friend with an a/c the had to be replaced. He made the decision to have it installed at the dealer because he knew he couldn't wrestle it onto the roof of a Sunseeker.
He checked with the dealer first and they told him to buy it online to get the one that would fit exactly in the hole and have the connections in the correct place. He had to pay for the labor at the dealer, but they did it in only an hour.
I've seen some tent trailers that use residential window or portable ac's. Even some tent campers use a portable ac on wheels.
Now the specs on the website show that for your unit has rooftop ac bracing, but an option is an ac wiring kit and ac. You probably need to check to see if yours has that. Specs are here: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/campi...tent/2318G/935
Old 12-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #8

a tower heater with a 13.5 amp pull is about all any one should need , if its not mid winter, in snow ,etc. under$ 50.00 .i have 30 ft. toyhauler ,not the best of insulation, put in rear ,it flows to keep chill off of living area . move to kitchen gets real warm up in bed room up top over hitch area.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

We really like the heat strip. We spend 30-40 nights each summer in areas where the overnight temps get into the mid-50’s. Our Class C does not have a fireplace and an electric heater takes up space. The heat strip keeps the RV warm and we enjoy the white noise as we sleep. It is the perfect solution for us.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We really like the heat strip. We spend 30-40 nights each summer in areas where the overnight temps get into the mid-50’s. Our Class C does not have a fireplace and an electric heater takes up space. The heat strip keeps the RV warm and we enjoy the white noise as we sleep. It is the perfect solution for us.
100% agree on the white noise. I keep the fan on no matter what at night. Too many rude people after 11pm. I have been at a campground in a tent where 2 sites over they sang and played music until 3am. I don't have a problem with people enjoying themselves but being considerate to others seems to have vanished entirely. They were kicked out the next day (nothing of my doing) but I just don't understand how a group of people can be surrounded by 20+ sites on a flat open field with only a few trees and believe the entire area is theirs to do with as they please at all hours.

White noise is a godsend!
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote