Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Adding foam to bed

We would like to add a foam pad under the double bed. It's about 3" of foam but could compress to about an inch. Question is whether we need to remove it to close up the camper. Have any of you done this? We have a 2016 Flagstaff popup with the heated mattresses.
We're wondering how much room is left in the space above the bed once the tenting is folded in, will the top close? Any experience out there on this?
AandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

I added a 2 inch memory foam topper to our bed. The top would not close with the topper on the bed. When we pack up I move the topper over the dinning table and couch (228 BH model), fits just right and the bed still slides in with no issues. Don't know what model you have but you could always roll it up.

I am sure you will find something that will work for you.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

We just added 3" memory foam. Best investment so far. Don't need to remove it to close camper but did have to unscrew the bracket a few turns.
ctdarcys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

I added 4" of memory foam underneath the heated mattress and found that if I pulled the mattresses off the slide about 10" or so that it gave enough room to fold the canvass material in and not have closing issues. I have a 206ST. I have to say that the improvement was huge!!
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
I added a 2 inch memory foam topper to our bed. The top would not close with the topper on the bed. When we pack up I move the topper over the dinning table and couch (228 BH model), fits just right and the bed still slides in with no issues. Don't know what model you have but you could always roll it up.

I am sure you will find something that will work for you.
I do the same with my 228; however, a year or two ago, there was a guy from CO with a 228 (not sure what happened to him) he moved the screen door bracket up on the wall, and shortened the snap straps just enough to allow him to close up with the foam left in place.
My opinion, a lot easier just to throw the foam over on the table.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

We have a 3" memory foam topper. We haven't tried to close it with the pad on the pad. We just roll it up and use bungee cords to secure it. I will say the thicker you go, the bulkier and heavier it is. Our 3" topper is as thick as I would get. We probably could have gotten away with a 2". Either way, it's much better now than just the mattress alone.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #7

3", we leave it on the beds and undo the turnbuckles a bit. Make sure you the roof seal tight to the frame. After a few minutes you can tighten up the turnbuckles if necessary.
dowjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

Smile 2" fits fine

We have a 2" memory foam pad and put it on top of the mattress for more comfort. The heat gets through after 15 minutes or so. We leave it on when closing the top. We do have to push down on the top so the latches will still reach until the mattress compresses. Have had no problems after a year doing this.
jmichaelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I do the same with my 228; however, a year or two ago, there was a guy from CO with a 228 (not sure what happened to him) he moved the screen door bracket up on the wall, and shortened the snap straps just enough to allow him to close up with the foam left in place.
My opinion, a lot easier just to throw the foam over on the table.
That was me, and it's a lot easier for me to spend 5 minutes one time moving the bracket up than to move the foam every time I left the straps alone.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
That was me, and it's a lot easier for me to spend 5 minutes one time moving the bracket up than to move the foam every time I left the straps alone.
Haven't seen you around much, lately.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandS View Post
We would like to add a foam pad under the double bed. It's about 3" of foam but could compress to about an inch. Question is whether we need to remove it to close up the camper. Have any of you done this? We have a 2016 Flagstaff popup with the heated mattresses.
We're wondering how much room is left in the space above the bed once the tenting is folded in, will the top close? Any experience out there on this?

Great investment. We also have the heated mattresses on our 625D. We bought a 2" topper. It is tight, but it does close up. Good luck.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
New Pop Up Owner

I read you can take an empty square box of Kleenex, put it on the bed without the mattress, close up then reopen and measure the height of the squashed Kleenex box. That gives you approx. heighth of mattress you can use.
Ireneh124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed