Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #1

Andersen Camper Leveler

I currently use a BAL leveler for side-to-side leveling and it has worked flawlessly. However, being a single guy camping, I'm always looking for ideas to shorten the setup. So today, while wondering in the local RV shop I came across an Andersen Camper Leveler.

3604 - Camper Leveler

Just wondering if anyone has used one?

I also plan on installing a large level (I believe it is 11 inches) on the front of the trailer, so that after placing the camper leveler under a tire, I can then back up and view in the rearview mirror when the trailer is leveled side-to-side. Then lock down the parking brake and go out and chock it and disconnect the trailer from the TV.

So...anyone have any experience with either of these product?

Thanks.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

If you have a tandem axle, you will need two. I had to cut the corner off mine to be able to get them between the tires. I have since ground the 45° corner down to make it the same distance from the big cutout as it is on the side and bottom to make it even easier to install between the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson Leveler 45D cut.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	70767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson Leveler corner.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	70768  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Single axle, so I get to save money.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I currently use a BAL leveler for side-to-side leveling and it has worked flawlessly. However, being a single guy camping, I'm always looking for ideas to shorten the setup. So today, while wondering in the local RV shop I came across an Andersen Camper Leveler.

3604 - Camper Leveler

Just wondering if anyone has used one?

I also plan on installing a large level (I believe it is 11 inches) on the front of the trailer, so that after placing the camper leveler under a tire, I can then back up and view in the rearview mirror when the trailer is leveled side-to-side. Then lock down the parking brake and go out and chock it and disconnect the trailer from the TV.

Thanks.

Just do a search here for Anderson Camper Levelers and you'll find all the info you'll need. Since I got mine, (luckily) every site I've been on has been perfectly level. So my experience (none) can't help you! But I did have to do some modifying to make them fit. I used a side grinder to do the trimming but it you have access to a band saw, would be better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022 (4).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	70771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	70772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	70773  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks.
All I can speak for are the Anderson Levelers - they work great! So much easier than eye-balling how many levels needed and never getting it perfect - with the Andersons, we can get perfectly level
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Just do a search here for Anderson Camper Levelers and you'll find all the info you'll need. Since I got mine, (luckily) every site I've been on has been perfectly level. So my experience (none) can't help you! But I did have to do some modifying to make them fit. I used a side grinder to do the trimming but it you have access to a band saw, would be better.
Why was the modification needed? Do you have dual axles?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Modification is so you can fit them between the tires as some axles are closer together than others.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, my tires were too close together for 1 to fit in between. Remember that these are made out of heavy duty plastic. Their looks are deceiving. These dudes are stout! I read where somebody crushed 1 of theirs. I don't see how unless they put it in a bind and it had to give.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

I figured dual axles. They are heavy duty, I was looking at them yesterday in the local RV store.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

Another way to trim them. Per their Website.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
3604 - Camper Leveler

Thanks.
I installed a 6" bubble level that is calibrated in inches on the A-frame front (found in my RV dealer store), similar to what you have in mind. When I'm approximately in position, I check the level, and pull out the number of Leveler blocks (the orange Legos, 1" rise per block) I need, and back on to them. Works like a champ (very cheap, total cost less than $40) for me. Also very light and compact.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

First off, let me say that I have levels on the side and front of my trailer. Of course with my v nose, it's hard to put a level on the front so I placed it on the tongue. I had levels on my previous 2 trailers as well. I tend to overthink things, so I have a question:

How do you know, when you attach the level to the side/front or where ever, that the level is level?

Yea, you can measure and line it up with trim or a groove in the siding. If you really want to get technical, measure from the ground up and set the levels. What if the walls and roof aren't square?

For me, if I get it close, I'm happy.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
First off, let me say that I have levels on the side and front of my trailer. Of course with my v nose, it's hard to put a level on the front so I placed it on the tongue. I had levels on my previous 2 trailers as well. I tend to overthink things, so I have a question:

How do you know, when you attach the level to the side/front or where ever, that the level is level?

Yea, you can measure and line it up with trim or a groove in the siding. If you really want to get technical, measure from the ground up and set the levels. What if the walls and roof aren't square?

For me, if I get it close, I'm happy.
Just level the floor of the camper front to back and side to side and then attach the level to a special made bracket on the front of the V where you can see it from the TV. Might take a while to get it level, but the time you spend mounting the level will be more than offset at campgrounds in the future.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #14

^^^ What he said. I have levels now on the front frame, side frame and left rear/rear rear side frames (these are for leveling the trailer with the BAL leveler on the left side).

The one I plan on putting on the front is a 11.5 inch level that can be seen through the rear view mirror as I back up on the andersen block.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Since I store the A122 in the garage, I carefully leveled in the garage using a carpenter's level on the frame, and on the folded down roof.

After I was satisfied the camper was level, I installed the bubble level on the camper, adjusting it to read zero. So far, the calibration is right on, as I cannot detect any slant while we are camping and the bubble shows level.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you have a tandem axle, you will need two. I had to cut the corner off mine to be able to get them between the tires. I have since ground the 45° corner down to make it the same distance from the big cutout as it is on the side and bottom to make it even easier to install between the tires.
X2 best investment I made. I love these things.

Tags
camper