Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Agreed, the Equl-i-zer hitch head (and most other makes I have seen) is too heavy to handle with just one hand.

Viewing the Anderson video - it looks like it will work for both sway and WDH. However, I don't know how you would easily hook up the system if the only quick release is on the ball. The other question I would have is whether or not the chains have to be tensioned at every hookup - the video shows tensioning with a wrench.

Obviously, the chains cannot be attached or detached while in their normal tension position (same with releasing the ball, I would think). I would want to see a video of hook-up and uncoupling of the Anderson to make sure those tasks are also doable with one hand.

If Anderson can give decent answers, it looks pretty workable to me.

Fred W
Hey Kinma,

I had the same thoughts as above but I can see people with them are chiming in and can give you accurate info. All I could do is speculate.

Good luck my friend.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #22

Yeah me too vin no real reviews other then dealers.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Greg if im reading and understanding you correctly you left the tension on the chains and lifted the tongue (using jack) then unhooks the chains at the plate?
My scenario...

I hook the trailer hitch to the ball of the Andersen and lock the pawl. I then raise the jack which in turn raises both the rear of the truck and the hitch of the trailer. I raise it enough until the chains reach the plate on the Andersen. I hand twist the bolts through the chain into the plate - both sides. I then retract the jack and everything should be level because I already set the hitch during install. Now hook up safety chains, electric, etc.

When I un-hook, I leave the trailer hitched. I raise the jack until the Andersen chains are loose and then remove the plate bolts and free the chains. Lower the jack until weight is back on the hitch and release the pawl from the hitch. Be sure you are chocked, etc.!

You may have to adjust/loosen the Andersen chain nuts depending on how level your site is. It is possible that your jack is at its highest point and the chains are still tight. Loosen the nuts (remember your turns) until chains are loose to the plate.

Best explanation I can give. Lots of opinions on this WDH but works for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Yeah me too vin no real reviews other then dealers.
There is lots of reviews as well as controversy about this WDH. Use the search and you'll find threads on this.

My review is...I like it. It stores easily in smaller places. Is lighter weight. Makes very little noise, if any. Should not be used for "heavy" trailers (based on reviews from this site). My Salem tows great with it. I do adjust my settings on the hitch chain nuts depending if I am full of fresh water (up front on my TT) or empty. I usually keep it at or under 60-65 MPH. I'm happy with it and glad I purchased it.

YMMV
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Have a HW276 and TV is a 2014 Explorer AWD so far we have not really needed a WDH but the DW thinks she would be able to tow the pup better and safer. Ive been looking at all the different kind and heard the horror stories when using the chain style, think a trunnionwould be safer but seen the anderson WDH and it was wondering if anyone else looked at it or even has it.
My two cents, for what it's worth, is a WDH for a PUP is a waste of time unless it brings you piece of mind. We've been pulling PUPs for almost 10 years now. The big trip this summer was from SWFL to Yellowstone and back (6,000 miles). The PUP swayed twice -- once when I tried to get it up toward the 80 mph speed limit in South Dakota and before that during some really heavy gusts (30+ mph) in Nebraska. Both times I just took my foot off the gas and things returned to normal.

All I've ever used is a sway control bar. Used it on a 1995 Coleman Key West, a 2005 Fleetwood Rushmore and now on our 2014 Forest River 425D. The only consistent sway issues we've had is at really high speeds (70 mph or more) and we are being passed by big trucks.

If it makes you feel more secure, install one. I can not foresee a time when I would if I was just pulling a PUP.

John

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #26

Thanks john that what the dealer told us. Our Ford Explorer and pup look pretty level just thinking it might sway some n I am thinking do I really want a sway that I have to remove every time I back up.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #27

Removing the sway bar only takes a few seconds. Plus, I always get out of the truck before backing up to survey the site, locate the utilities, and see if I will need leveling blocks. I just take the bar off then.

John

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
My two cents, for what it's worth, is a WDH for a PUP is a waste of time unless it brings you piece of mind. We've been pulling PUPs for almost 10 years now. The big trip this summer was from SWFL to Yellowstone and back (6,000 miles). The PUP swayed twice -- once when I tried to get it up toward the 80 mph speed limit in South Dakota and before that during some really heavy gusts (30+ mph) in Nebraska. Both times I just took my foot off the gas and things returned to normal.

All I've ever used is a sway control bar. Used it on a 1995 Coleman Key West, a 2005 Fleetwood Rushmore and now on our 2014 Forest River 425D. The only consistent sway issues we've had is at really high speeds (70 mph or more) and we are being passed by big trucks.

If it makes you feel more secure, install one. I can not foresee a time when I would if I was just pulling a PUP.

John

Hey John,

Normally I would agree with you. But when you are talking about a 4,000+ lb pop up with a 600 to 700lb tongue weight I think a WDH is a good idea. If fact, many of the smaller SUV's and trucks recommend a WDH for these situations.

I think anti-sway is a different matter. That is primarily for driving safety and giving the drive a bit more confidence. A WDH is needed mechanically to shift weight off the back axle.

In either case, if the DW feels better with it and it will get her behind the wheel to help with driving then is is money well spent.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #29

I have had a Reese WDH with sway control and have had the Andersen for the last three years. I have used the Andersen on a 21rr and now on a 27rr. The 27rr is 33'-6" long and I carry a 1,200 lb Polaris RZR in the back. Both of the trailers tow as well as a Cardinal 5th wheel I used to have. No grease or dirt and no noise. No unhooking to back up. I have never heard of anyone that has had both types going back to the "bar type". I am completely satisfied.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight