Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Antenna thru cable hook up?

We just purchased a Rockwood pop up and it has a cable/sat connection built in, as so many do now. There is no built in antenna on the roof. If I buy an antenna can I temporarily mount it on the roof and run the wire to the cable input? I’m not familiar with the terminology and don’t see what kind of plugs come with the portable antennas. Also, the antenna prices range from $15 to $100. Like all of you I don’t want to spend too much, but I only want to buy it once. So I try to buy the best for my needs 😁.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

That's a good question, off the top of my head I would say no, most of those you plug into the TV as I'm sure you know, I'm going to watch this thread and see what members say, GOOD QUESTION again.[emoji342][emoji362]

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team

The simple answer to your question is yes you can connect the antenna top the cable in connection. The more complex answer is it depends on how far you are from the TV Station. Most of the home type antennas are 300 ohm twin lead so you sill need a simple adapter to go from twin lead to 50ohm coax. The problem is many of those antennas are big and clumsy. You can purchase a smaller directional amplified antenna. These can be mounted on a fiberglass painters pole and tired to the bumper. The issue with these are that they are cheap plastic ( despite the fact they look to be metal) and they are not very weatherproof. To start search the app store if you have a smart phone and look for DTV station locator. It will show distance and direction from your location to the TV broadcast antenna.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the help.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, cable