Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Anyone take out the toilet Hard Walls?

Hello everyone,

I was curious. Who has removed the Hard Wall set up that Rockwood HW pop-ups have surrounding the toilet? To me it seems like a lot of weight to carry just for a bit of privacy. I had no problems with just using a curtain in prior pop ups with a cassette toilet.

It is not like the walls offer anything other than privacy. They do not stop water so you still need a shower curtain and still have to deal with the curtain flapping around and such. Seems like a simple uninstall to save quite a bit of weight.

Thoughts?

Vin.
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #2

I'm not sure it's that much weight really...maybe 80lbs. We love the hard wall bathroom. It gives me a lockable door for a bit more privacy with my toddler, and while taking a shower, spraying the curtain accidentally doesn't result in it pushing out and leaking on the floor at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
IonicBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #3

Does the shower curtain not come with Velcro strips to hold it down in place? On the cassette toilet, the curtain was able to attach to the shower area to stop it from blowing around.

Do the Rockwood HW's just provide a simple curtain with none of these Velcro straps sewn in?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

We only put the wall up for occasional use. Usually it provides additional counter space. It is not very strong and easily damaged, that is why I put additional support points under it at the weak spots. They are positioned so that they do not get in the way when open and makes a pretty sturdy horizontal surface. I am guessing that they may bounce up an down quite a bit when traveling and this also helps with that. Just my thoughts.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Does the shower curtain not come with Velcro strips to hold it down in place? On the cassette toilet, the curtain was able to attach to the shower area to stop it from blowing around.

Do the Rockwood HW's just provide a simple curtain with none of these Velcro straps sewn in?
I did notice that there are some velcro strips on the lower section of the wall. But as we don't use the bath, could not say how well it holds the curtain in place. We use the bath as a closet. Hung a second wardrobe in there, hides quite a mess:-)

And yes the walls do jiggle when down and traveling. We put little felt pads (the peel and stick furniture kind) on the top wall inside top corners to protect the bottom wall.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Never thought about the jostling that would happen when traveling. I will make sure that I put some towels between them at a minimum.

For me I am just thinking I can save some weight. I love the idea of a counter but I need to have a potty for those late night rainy nature breaks.

This is what I love about this forum. You ask a question and you learn something totally unintended. You guys are awesome.

Vin.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post

For me I am just thinking I can save some weight. I love the idea of a counter but I need to have a potty for those late night rainy nature breaks.

Vin.
Completely understand that. We considered removing the toilet completely to get more storage in our "closet". But as this is most probably not our last camper, I am hesitant to do anything that may negatively affect resale or trade in value. We love our pup, but health issues and getting older may force the issue at some time (hopefully not anytime soon)......
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote