RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #41
Brake is on left

Yeah, I'm prepared!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0831191409_HDR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	213901  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
I had tgat happpen to me, The quick lift jack wss a good start but my flat tire drooped still. It did give me enough clearance to get a real jack undrr the flat tire axle though,
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #43

To those contemplating buying a cheap bottle jack from Northern Tools or Tractor Supply, etc (your fave cheap tool store): Make sure the bottle jack you buy has a built in retraction spring to pull the piston down back into the body of the jack when you've released the valve to lower your tire change or whatever job you had jacked up project. Because if it doesn't have said return spring....that stupid jack will stay firmly wedged between your axle or whatever with the valve screw let out, many turns even. You'll have to drive a large screwdriver or whatever between the jack end and your axle and pry the jack piston downwards to get the stupid jack loose!
Been there, done that, threw that jack into the steel scrap bin. Lesson #2, keep receipts for junk tools to return them.

And with this thread, always practice every scenario of roadside 'emergency' BEFORE you're on the side of the road, with the sun going down and your warranty roadside guy still hasn't shown up after 3 hours.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #44

Look at the light weight jacks at Harbor Freight.
chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #45

changing tire on tandem trailer

Bought a hydraulic 1.5 ton hydraulic jack , a set of deep sockets and a "breaker bar" for both my trailer and truck along with the collapsable 4 size tire wrench.
Harbor freight was my go to store. Thankfully so far I had only some practice changes in my garage and driveway.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25 BHS
2012 Ram 1500
Greyhair74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #46
ARLO

Camco trailer Aid $36.00 or Camco trailer aid plus $50.oo. I went with the plus. No screwing around with jacks or axles, you just drive on to it with the good tire and it lifts the bad tire off the ground And you are changing the tire a couple of minutes later,

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...gateway&sr=8-1
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #47

That's fine for trailers with 2 tires on each side.
chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #48
GeoProTraveler

Aaa w trailer coverage?

We have AAA with the added trailer coverage. Would that have worked for you?

Also, we ordered the GeoPro 19BH (single axle) factory lift kit, which has the large heavy duty off-road tires. They look less likely to fail, barely heated up on a recent long, hot trip. I added an inexpensive tire pressure and temp monitor that works well. I think the big tires are less likely to fail. What is the experience of others?

Bob
Bob380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #49

I use 2 bottle Jack's. 1 with blocks till it maxes out. Then pile up more blocks to put 2 under. I have also made a single ramp out of the Lego blocks placed pulled trailer on good tire. I also carry breaker bar with narrow wall socket. Standard lug wrench won't fit mag wheels.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #50

I carry 2 ,4 ton bottle Jack's ,8 pieces 2X10 ąt random leinghts Also have 2 roll up aluminum axle lifts I zip tie them together put under axle pull up about 10 inches which lifts wheel ,works with single and double axles ,then put jack under axle for safety.
larry5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #51

Geo Pro Tires

My 2 cents, we have a 1 yr old Geo Pro F19 FD; Had West Lake ST23575R15 Load Range C; (max psi 50 lbs) came on the Off rock package new;

4 mos ago, Switched to Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 (max psi 80 lbs) ; Load range E; less tread means cooler and less friction. Much smoother ride, instant 2 mph gas mileage increase, feels much more stable towing, peace of mind = priceless.

Dont forget to buy 3, one for the spare... Sell old tires used to someone that doesnt care. ;-)
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #52

Yep, always ready - with Coach.Net!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Yep, always ready - with Coach.Net!
Yep -- I am a die-hard do-it-yourselfer, but I always leave any roadside tire changing to the professionals... (don't even carry a spare) Just too dangerous in so many ways...

And from the expense viewpoint, this is typically a very rare event so even without an assistance program, open up that wallet and let some moths out...
ElyWalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This thread shows why you should try out your tools in the driveway before leaving home.
Good call. I did a dry run myself and discovered that the lug wrench I had for the wheels wouldn't fit the larger nuts holding the spare to the mount bracket. That and those nuts were crazy tight, I had to blast them loose with my pneumatic impact wrench. None of this would have been any fun out in the middle of nowhere.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #55
My First Toy Hauler

Roadside E-repair

I have always been the one to pack a fairly full toolbox for the trip whether I am camping or not. Last spring I was heading west on Rt 70 just entering Colorado running about 65 pulling my toy hauler. Very rough stretch and I was trying to maneuver past the roughest patches. Check side mirrors, OK, check side mirrors, smoke rolling down the side of the camper. E-stop, fortunately there was a wide apron enough to get the entire trailer off the road. I crawled under and to my horror found I had broken a spring and the shackles had rolled over dropping the camper down on the tires. Screwed I thought, need to get it off the hiway. Had a floor jack and 2 bottles and managed to get a 6x6 chunk wedged between the axle and frame held in place by wire and prayers. That got me to an exit in nowhere, at least I was off the road. I was working on reinforcing my fix enough to get it to a town when a couple of locals stopped and assisted. They came up with an old bumper jack handle and a couple of muffler clamps which I secured across the broken spring, "splinting" it. That got me about 30 miles up a 2 lane to a town with an auto parts store. I removed the now bent jack handle and replaced it with a heavy tire tool and some heavy clamps. Good secure emergency fix. That got me another 75 miles down the 2 lane to my campground. Called Iron Bear in Denver and they ultimately replaced all 4 springs for what I thought was a crazy low price. Ruined (2) brand new Goodyear trailer tires, BRAND NEW... Key takeaway from this; I had tools, jacks, pads, and lumber scraps. I carry a small electrical kit and meter, enough tools and parts to repair a minor water leak. I have helped out fellow campers that didn't even carry a screwdriver or crescent wrench.
USS Charleston LKA-113 1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
Rednight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #56

I too carry enough tools to rebuild a camper. Soldering iron to hand maul (which I had to use to bend the rear brace back to install the spare) and have helped people along the way. I thought I had it covered with my bottle jack and scissors jack, but just barely made do. I have roadside assistance, but on a Sunday afternoon, on a long stretch of interstate in the hills of Mississippi I didn't think that it would be a quick fix. That is why I the original post. Just be prepared.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenword View Post
I would also go buy all new tires and hope you never need to use all that stuff too.

Why buy all new tires? Have you been able to confirm why the first tire failed? Did you read THIS post? Did your TPMS provide a warning before the failure? If not then the failure may be a belt separation. These can many times be discovered with a complete "Free Spen" inspection as covered in THIS blog post, or go ddirectly to THIS blog post. that has link to the video on a good method.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Good call. I did a dry run myself and discovered that the lug wrench I had for the wheels wouldn't fit the larger nuts holding the spare to the mount bracket. That and those nuts were crazy tight, I had to blast them loose with my pneumatic impact wrench. None of this would have been any fun out in the middle of nowhere.

Yes a practice at home on a nice afternoon is always a good thing to do. I bet most people would discover at least one thing when they do that.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #59

I learned years ago that it pays big dividends to do a dry-run tire change at home. This way you know you have the right pieces aboard when you hit the road.

Another tire changing essential, actually two, some warning triangles placed well behind trailer to warn traffic and a "High Visibility" vest. Both of those will at least give you a fighting chance of surviving a "driver's side" tire change alongside a busy highway.

Also, if it happens in a busy urban area, a call to 911 can bring some "Traffic Control" to keep you safe while you change the spare. Here in WA you might even get the State Trooper to help you change the tire. They'd rather help out and get you on your way quickly than have to spend the next day or two on the paperwork an accident causes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
We were on I-55 and had a blow out on my Flagstaff HW27SC. I had a 4 ton bottle jack and had thrown in a 4 ton scissors jack at the last minute before we left. I also carry about 8 pieces of 3/4" plywood about 6" X 6". Well the bottle jack was too high to fit under the axle behind the tire and I could not operate the scissors jack in a very awkward position. I had to put the bottle jack under the frame behind the tire but it did not have enough lift, so the scissors jack went under the frame before the tire to get high enough to change the tire. The ground was soft and I used all of my plywood squares. My sockets were too shallow to remove the nuts holding the spare tire to the mount but I made do with an an adjustable wrench. All very exciting on the edge of the interstate with the trailer rocking with each passing vehicle. Just glad it was not on the driver's side as there was no room to pull any further off the highway and I would have been in the roadway. I will be replacing my jacks with a 4 ton hydraulic floor jack and a piece of 3/4" plywood maybe 30" X 10" for it to ride on. A little extra weight and room but well worth it if needed. I think that jacking it up were I had to may have bowed the frame somewhat as the top pins in my slide no longer line up as they should. Will have to work on that. Just saying to be sure that you are well prepared for this type of issue as it could be life threatening in certain situations.
You have forgotten a couple VERY important items. GLOW in the dark high vis safety vest. Should be worn anytime you are out of the cab along the road. Do you ever see Law Enforcement on the highways out of their cars without it? The year my youngest graduated from the Hwy Patrol Academy there was five Troopers killed, hit by traffic on traffic stops and working accidents. For nightime a battery powered flashing safety lamp.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire