Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
Sometimes, the auto-dump "feature" doesn't work. The gas shock can be "frozen" resulting in a warranty claim, now going on 4 weeks, for twisted aluminum channel bars. Hmmm, ask me how I know ths.
When in doubt don't leave it out.
Strapping it down can cause issues if you are not around and that wind carries about 100 to 200 lbs of rain....
manufacturers know better.

I'm not referring to yourself but as of late there are many forum members (truck, motorcycle and trailer guys alike) that feel they can strap things down. add things, and alter them resulting in a better idea to make it work. for every one there is probably 2 or 3 who have lost their toys or enjoyment like our friends did.

A buddy of mine blew up his engine in his new Ecoboost by adding a performance device to it. When the engine went he removed it.
TOOOOOO late - the computer had recorded the device and thus the warranty void.

if the manufacturer really wants to they know what causes damage and what was done to do a work around, they are not stupid...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #22

Interesting opinions here. I'm guessing the folks recommending hold-downs have never been in a really strong wind coming from an unfortunate direction. Awning=sail. I've always kept mine stowed when away from the trailer in areas know for changeable weather. I've also seen what can happen to an awning with all sorts of tie-downs when left unattended and a big wind comes along. We left the campground before the owner of that rig returned, but I'll bet he never leaves his awning extended again.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

People have to use some common sense and understand that nothing is fool-proof.

The poles work (and work quite well) during normal rain/wind events.
But... will they keep you from having a problem during a micro-burst or hurricane?... NO!

If you decide you never want to unroll your awning for fear that a wind gust may come along and do damage that is your decision. Mine is... with the use of the poles/brackets and straps I can use my awning 95% of the entire time I'm camping.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #24

Yep. Retract is better than react. Not all accessories make life better. In fact at times I wish for the old days when the systems were simpler. My 2016 has been fraught with . . . i'll be kind.... issues.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #25

We got one of these at a beach campground a few years ago:

JR Products 9253 25 foot Awning Tie Down

Best $20 we've spent so far! It's got a spring on it which will allow some movement, but really gives me peace of mind.
dalspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Interesting opinions here. I'm guessing the folks recommending hold-downs have never been in a really strong wind coming from an unfortunate direction.

Describe the scenario, please...

I've had my awning out in up to 35mph winds. I didn't like it, but once I crossed 25mph winds, I felt like I missed my window to retract it. It weathered fine- no issue with the fabric nor the rail attaching it to the camper.

I've retracted it in 25mph winds before. Took 3 of us to do it- 2 to hold the poles and 1 to run the switch. What was most fun was having to climb a ladder to disconnect the poles because I don't use the "self-storing" feature that OC and Turbs offer.

I've decided not to put it out.

I've had it out when most others don't.

I've had it out when others have had damage and I didn't.

As was mentioned- use common sense and do what makes sense for you.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #27

Turbs awning poles are tops.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

If we're not just staying over night, the awning goes out, poles & ratchet straps deployed and it stays out. We have been in some winds high enough that we retracted the slide out to silence the slide out awning, but have never retracted the main awning once it has the poles and straps deployed. My poles and Turbs poles work. I now have the de-flapper poles I also deploy which stops the material from flapping.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #29

Awning usage in strong winds...

Here's my experience with this. Family and I were camping by the lake at Natchez Trace. Had awning extended for most of stay. We decided to go to lodge for buffet meal...about 4 mins drive time away. Sunny out...a few white clouds against a blue sky. Entered lodge, got a plate of food, and went to set down by windows overlooking the swimming pool. Maybe 5 mins after starting to eat, noticed it looked kind of dark outside. Suddenly, the pool furniture started blowing into the water. Lightning and thunder started...then a pouring rain. We jumped up and ran out and drove immediately back to campsite. Less than a 4 minute ride back to campsite, the sun was coming back out. Arrived at our camper and our awning had been literally ripped from the side of the rv and was lying on the ground. Every camper around us...including some rather nice motor homes, had awnings either on the ground or torn to shreds and hanging on the side. All this within a span of about 15 or 20 mins total from the time we left in the sunshine and returned in the sunshine. Awning cost me about $500 dollars to replace and we installed ourselves to cut costs. From this experience, we now roll up our awning EVERY time we leave the campsite to go anywhere. So my answer to all regarding awning being extended in high winds....DON'T DO IT!! Lesson Learned. Hindsight is 20-20.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My awning didn't know this storm even went through today out and staked down. [emoji12]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Awning use in high winds

200 + sets says you can't argue with success! [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
Old 07-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #32

Quick story. 2013 and first year with a power awning after many years with old school awnings. Last day cleaning and prep for winter storage so I put the awning out to dry out and locked the arms in the lower position with the arm wing nuts. The old awning was always safe in the lower locked in position. Went in for dinner and when I came back the front arm was bent to xXxX and I found out you have to buy the whole arm....$300 lesson. Now I never lock it down with the wing nuts, it likes to move around, and it goes up when I am not around.
I was at a Campground on the east coast and a storm came in and the neighbors had their awnings down. Old awnings you could do a favor and put them up...not the electric awnings. I watched the neighbors awnings weather the storm and they blew all over the place but they were all ok. They were almost straight up at times. I'm sure if mine was out it would have blown away.
I have started to use my straps once in awhile and they seem to help. It is just harder to get the awning up in a hurry when it is tied down.
Hope this helps some of you.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
200 + sets says you can't argue with success!
At least double that if you count the poles I sold and you can add at least 100-125 more for the folks that bought the attaching kits and used their own poles.

As Turbs says, "You can't argue with success."
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
At least double that if you count the poles I sold and you can add at least 100-125 more for the folks that bought the attaching kits and used their own poles.

As Turbs says, "You can't argue with success."

I really hate saying this, however I agree.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #35

Take if from someone who has lost an awning...roll it up. I left mine down a few years ago to make a quick trip out of the campground. The wind didn't get it but the gallons of water did. I am very cautious now with ours.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
Take if from someone who has lost an awning...roll it up. I left mine down a few years ago to make a quick trip out of the campground. The wind didn't get it but the gallons of water did. I am very cautious now with ours.
Tie it down with poles and at least a 6" tilt end to end and rain water will not pool. I usually tilt mine 10"-12".
Old 07-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #37

The tie downs work for me. OC's brackets, Turb's poles....weathered a few strong storms the last few days...just need to get some aluminum for the deflapper poles but the ones I'm using will get us through this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160707_165920.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	113392   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160707_165938.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	113393  
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The tie downs work for me. OC's brackets, Turb's poles....weathered a few strong storms the last few days...just need to get some aluminum for the deflapper poles but the ones I'm using will get us through this season.
I have the same de-flapper poles as you have, I am just going to start using 2 de-flappers on each end to lessen the load on the emt tubing.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #39
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I have the same de-flapper poles as you have, I am just going to start using 2 de-flappers on each end to lessen the load on the emt tubing.
Ditto!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #40
txkreddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
Can I get some feedback/perspectives on using the awning during high winds?

Do you leave the awning up during a storm and if so, does staking down keep things stable enough?

It would be nice to have protection from the rain when cooking outside...but not at the expense of the awning crashing into the camper and coming loose in the middle of the night.

Thanks!
We always use stakes when our awning is extended, and it is retracted when the wind/weather conditions warrant. Staking it down is much cheaper and easier than repairing a damaged awning. It only took once to come back to the camp site to find the awning flapping on the roof of the TT.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning