Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #41

Let's put it this way...sometimes I wish my awning could be hoisted on our cruising sailboat...it's that efficient a sail. Nuf said.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #42

I guess I'm cautious. I don't want to chance it. I always bring in my awning if I leave, go to bed or the winds come up strong. I live in a very windy corridor at home and regularly see how quickly strong winds pick up. It only takes pressing a switch about 10 seconds on my power awning to close it, no big deal!! That's alot less than the time and money involved in replacing an awning!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Once you either see or experience the damage they can do when left out in high winds, you will stow yours if it gets breezy enough.

Pop
X2. We have friends that always stake theirs out and refuse to roll it up even when getting wind advisories. A surprise haboob in Vegas this spring changed their mind after it ripped it off and damaged their rig. We always roll ours up when we are away from the RV. Also when we retire for the night.
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #44

Wow, lots of good input for TT's but Pups are a lot different. We can't have
a power awning as our poor little roofs can't support the weight. In order to
roll up our awnings we need two tall ladders or we can disassemble the
camper, drop the whole roof to within easy reach (all the way down for us HW), and then manually role the thing up. If you just lower the awning, you can't get in the door.

So the question seems to be "how does a PUP owner deal with high winds
and awnings?"

Are there any tricks that us newbies should learn to quickly stow or secure
our awnings during a sudden storm?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #45

I just replaced my 15 year old awning fabric, looks great. This is generally what I do.

While in Phoenix (or anywhere else), I like to leave the awning out as it provides shade and significant heat reduction on the side of the MH.

If there is any threat of high winds (thunderstorms) , I retract the awning. It only takes a moment.

If I'm going to be away for the day, I lower the awning to the lowest position. The only problem with this, I need to be careful opening the door as it hits the awning. I have one of those wheel things on th3e door, but it could still rip the awning.

When the awning is out and in a high position, I ALWAYS leave one side of the awning a little lower than the other to provide water drainage. If you don't do this, water will pool in the fabric and it starts sagging in the middle, As the weight of the water starts getting heavy, the large roll-up tube starts to bend in the middle. If the water gets to full, the roll-up tube buckles in the middle, and your whole day is ruined.

My neighbor in a Phoenix RV park uses large springs (1 inch in diameter by 1 ft long) when he ties his awning down. The bottom of the springs are attached to the ground stakes. He then attaches his tie-down straps to the top of the springs. The springs allow the awning to move up and down a little, reducing the stresses on the tie downs and the awning as the awning moves up and down a little.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #46

I had a bag awning on my Ole Toyhouse. I found two very heavy steel plates (the steel plates that a railroad track rests on)

I welded a 1 inch long, one inch diameter pipe in the center of the plates.

The plates served two purposes, they gave the poles a nice big/heavy pad to rest on so the poles wouldn't sink into the ground, and they also added a big heavy weight that the awning was secured to.

I set the plates on the ground, and the awnings vertical pole would fit in the small pipe. I then used a strap to tie the awning to the plate.

Install Bag Awning - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gwright View Post
Wow, lots of good input for TT's but Pups are a lot different. We can't have
a power awning as our poor little roofs can't support the weight. In order to
roll up our awnings we need two tall ladders or we can disassemble the
camper, drop the whole roof to within easy reach (all the way down for us HW), and then manually role the thing up. If you just lower the awning, you can't get in the door.

So the question seems to be "how does a PUP owner deal with high winds
and awnings?"

Are there any tricks that us newbies should learn to quickly stow or secure
our awnings during a sudden storm?
Ratchet straps.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #48

I use the poles I bough from TURBS,,, they work Great,,, and the tie-down ropes that I made,,, but if I knew there was going to be very high winds,,, I would put every thing away and roll the awning up !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #49
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
People have to use some common sense and understand that nothing is fool-proof.

The poles work (and work quite well) during normal rain/wind events.
But... will they keep you from having a problem during a micro-burst or hurricane?... NO!

If you decide you never want to unroll your awning for fear that a wind gust may come along and do damage that is your decision. Mine is... with the use of the poles/brackets and straps I can use my awning 95% of the entire time I'm camping.
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #50

While camping with my Brother-in-law several years ago he left his awning out on his brand new 5th wheel. It was a bit windy but not too strong to cause alarm. While we were sitting inside during an evening having a adult beverage there was a sudden gust of wind and the awning was folded over the top of the 5th wheel and pretty much destroyed. To tell the truth, I don't recall if he had additional tie-downs installed or not. I know for sure, he wished that he have retracted the awning--lesson is better safe than sorry.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We always roll ours up when we are away from the RV. Also when we retire for the night.
x2...pushing the button to retract/extend is so effortless for us power awning users. I don't want to have to deal with any tiedowns/deflappers/etc.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I have the same de-flapper poles as you have, I am just going to start using 2 de-flappers on each end to lessen the load on the emt tubing.
Lol......those are cheap thin walled steel painters poles from Lowes with the ends whacked off. They'll work until I pick up some aluminum tube, but after two months they are already rusting internally.

Good idea on the double deflappers........
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Lol......those are cheap thin walled steel painters poles from Lowes with the ends whacked off. They'll work until I pick up some aluminum tube, but after two months they are already rusting internally.

Good idea on the double deflappers........
My powder coated emt poles are rusting inside and around the drilled holes also. I will probably replace them with fiberglass/alum painter poles.
Wooster 6 ft.-12 ft. Sherlock Extension Pole-00R0560000 - The Home Depot
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
x2...pushing the button to retract/extend is so effortless for us power awning users. I don't want to have to deal with any tiedowns/deflappers/etc.
Do you also put all your stuff away every night ???
I hope you never get hit with a surprise gust of wind !!!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #55

To clarify, I posted this in the tent trailer / popup camper forum, so I'm talking about the flimsy, non-electric awning type. And the problem with my lifted PUP is I can't even reach the awning bag without a ladder, so awfully difficult to retract at the camp site.

I'm probably going to just remove the Dometic awning and bag since we rarely camp where there isn't shade, but often camp where later afternoon mountain storms could get windy. Better to use a rain coat for cooking outside during the storm than have a sail (awning) attached
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
To clarify, I posted this in the tent trailer / popup camper forum, so I'm talking about the flimsy, non-electric awning type. And the problem with my lifted PUP is I can't even reach the awning bag without a ladder, so awfully difficult to retract at the camp site.
Realize most members pay no attention to which section threads are posted.

And many don't know popups don't have awnings like other types of RVs.

So they will post info that has nothing to do with your popup.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #57

Quote:

I'm probably going to just remove the Dometic awning and bag since we rarely camp where there isn't shade, but often camp where later afternoon mountain storms could get windy. Better to use a rain coat for cooking outside during the storm than have a sail (awning) attached
Can you not unzip before you Pop Up ???
Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #58

Quote:
Can I get some feedback/perspectives on using the awning during high winds?

Do you leave the awning up during a storm and if so, does staking down keep things stable enough?

It would be nice to have protection from the rain when cooking outside...but not at the expense of the awning crashing into the camper and coming loose in the middle of the night.

Thanks!
I think if the OP would have provided "Complete Info" about his unit from the Start then he would not come back at Post # 55 and State about it being "Lifted and needing ladders" while still supplying No Make or Model#,Not even in his Profile page! It Really Helps if the OP States unit info when Asking a Question! The way the OP ask in Post #1 ALL replies were Proper,even though it was Listed in the PU section! High Wind Usage effects us ALL! Youroo!!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I think if the OP would have provided "Complete Info" about his unit from the Start then he would not come back at Post # 55 and State about it being "Lifted and needing ladders" while still supplying No Make or Model#,Not even in his Profile page! It Really Helps if the OP States unit info when Asking a Question! The way the OP ask in Post #1 ALL replies were Proper,even though it was Listed in the PU section! High Wind Usage effects us ALL! Youroo!!

Preach brutha preach! [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #60

You know I go to the portal and really don't look at what section something is posted in so with that said. I use awning poles and straps and leave mine out so far no problems, I also tilt it for rain runoff.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning