Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Preach brutha preach! [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
To the "Choir"! Youroo!!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
My awning didn't know this storm even went through today out and staked down. [emoji12]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"

We were due west and saw the same storm. It was good storm.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
To clarify, I posted this in the tent trailer / popup camper forum, so I'm talking about the flimsy, non-electric awning type. And the problem with my lifted PUP is I can't even reach the awning bag without a ladder, so awfully difficult to retract at the camp site.

I'm probably going to just remove the Dometic awning and bag since we rarely camp where there isn't shade, but often camp where later afternoon mountain storms could get windy. Better to use a rain coat for cooking outside during the storm than have a sail (awning) attached
Yep... BikenDan is correct. Most of us never look to see which forum the OP posted in. We just look at the subject. So I'll try to pay more attention.

We had a pop-up for a few years that had one of those awnings in the bag. Used it once then took it off and left it in the garage after that. We just carried a 10X10 easy up for shade that we staked out using weights I made out of 3" pvc and sand. A little easier to take down or remove the fabric for windy times. Still a PITA though
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #64
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
To the "Choir"! Youroo!!
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #65

When we had our PUP in California, we normally deployed the awning. A couple of times I wondered if the roof supports were going to get bent by the wind. Camping in Colorado was all one-nighters so the awning stayed in the bag.

When we bought our A-frame 2 years ago in Denver, I asked about the add-a-room awning/tent. Dealer advised against it for several reasons. I was OK not to get it because of winds at our house. Two weeks (April) later we went camping at Cherry Lake State Park in Aurora. I noted that only about 25% of the campers had awnings out. Afternoon winds came up and a couple of awnings went over the roof of their campers.

Saw the same thing happen to a PUP at Lathrop State Park a couple of months later.

Very glad I don't have an awning. I do have to carefully stake or tie down the EZ-up to avoid its destruction by wind.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The tie downs work for me. OC's brackets, Turb's poles....weathered a few strong storms the last few days...just need to get some aluminum for the deflapper poles but the ones I'm using will get us through this season.
Really brother... You have got to pick better sites. I was looking at the neat cooking hardware you displayed when I started seeing all the legos under everything... OMG
Attached Images

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Really brother... You have got to pick better sites. I was looking at the neat cooking hardware you displayed when I started seeing all the legos under everything... OMG

This is what I consider one of the nicest, largest, and most private sites in a PA state park which we consider our home base. I stay on this site about 30+ nights a year. We're in Pennsylvania not Illinois!

My rear tire is on 5 pieces of 2X for 7'1/2" of leveling
When it rains this site dries fast!
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
This is what I consider one of the nicest, largest, and most private sites in a PA state park which we consider our home base. I stay on this site about 30+ nights a year. We're in Pennsylvania not Illinois!

My rear tire is on 5 pieces of 2X for 7'1/2" of leveling
When it rains this site dries fast!

The only thing that looked right were two of the coolers, when you need to drain the water...

PS. There are some off-level sites in the state that now holds the title for most governors in prison at the same time.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #69

I tie mine down as well in windy weather. Use a bungee cord with rope so as to allow a bit of give. I like to tie it to the picnic table.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
To clarify, I posted this in the tent trailer / popup camper forum, so I'm talking about the flimsy, non-electric awning type. And the problem with my lifted PUP is I can't even reach the awning bag without a ladder, so awfully difficult to retract at the camp site.

I'm probably going to just remove the Dometic awning and bag since we rarely camp where there isn't shade, but often camp where later afternoon mountain storms could get windy. Better to use a rain coat for cooking outside during the storm than have a sail (awning) attached
I had a Rockwood 1610 popup for 9 years, always set up the awning and left it up during the whole camping trip. We never used poles or tie-down straps, but did angle down one end for rain drainage. We were in some pretty severe thunderstorms, but never had a problem. Use the awning, and if it gets torn up, replace it.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
I had a Rockwood 1610 popup for 9 years, always set up the awning and left it up during the whole camping trip. We never used poles or tie-down straps, but did angle down one end for rain drainage. We were in some pretty severe thunderstorms, but never had a problem. Use the awning, and if it gets torn up, replace it.
I am guessing that 9 years ago they were not using the flimsy Power Awnings ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
....Use the awning, and if it gets torn up, replace it.
In Colorado, the awning or tent or EZ-up fabric getting torn up is usually not the issue.
Awnings flip over the PUP (or camper, I've seen both), and the poles puncture something in the process.
Umbrella style tents go rolling like giant tumble weeds until the poles can't take it anymore.
EZ-ups pin, bolt, and rivet connections let go under swirling and changing wind pressure, and the frame gets bent.
Storms at altitude are violent, something I learned in both Alaska and Colorado. There is a reason hikers are told to be off the 14er peaks before noon, and preferably an hour or two earlier.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am guessing that 9 years ago they were not using the flimsy Power Awnings ???
Not on 8' box Rockwood 1610 popups. These were the carefree bag awnings. Tough though. Once I hadn't closed the zipper (it was held up with the Velcro strips) and it dropped out on the road while crossing over a railroad crossing...no harm done except for a scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O'Lakes (32).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	114241  
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning